wite out removal

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Ok, this has nothing to do with flashlights. Does anyone know how to get wite out off paper, my friends just bought a used car and used witeout on the title. The DMV now wants to do a title search and get certified copies of the vin numbers off the car, not just rubbings., It is turning into a nightmare for them. So any ideas that might not ruin the paper?

Saaby

Flashaholic
SO let me see if I have this right--you just want to get the white out off the paper?

lessing

Newly Enlightened
yup, just need an idea on how to remove the wite out that does not easily scratch off with a finger nail.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You might try using Whiteout Thinner on some dried Whiteout on a SAMPLE piece of paper and see if works.

I retired from a business (nuclear powerplants) where you were not allowed to have Whiteout in your desk! If you made a mistake, you had to line it out (one line only) and date and inital the lineout! The problem with Whiteout, is that you cannot see what is underneath it.

Your friends may have screwed themselves!
frown.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dare I suggest, but have you tried shining a flashlight from behind the paper?! Pick a bright one and give it a go - it may be enough to allow the original writing to show through.

This works with lesser quality scratch-cards, like the ones you occasionally get in newspapers and junk mail. You can see right through the silver bits! Ssh, don`t tell anyone though
wink.gif

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Lessing:

If all else fails he can try and see if they will accept an affadavit stating that his action was not an intention of fraud.

I work for a company that sells used fleet trucks and we have had luck with that approach when someone enters incorrect information on a title or lien card.

If you need to get a replacement title you may want to go with a title service like Lexis-Nexis. They know all the angles and can usually get one faster than you can.

Chris

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all so much. The new title will take a while, and I believe only the dmv can do it here in Jersey. We have more than our share of thieves and people that take scrap and flood titles and try to scam a new title. They are very strict. I bought a used grand am for my g/f from a little old lady that now lives next door to my grandmother. She lived in bound brook that went under about 16 feet of water a few years back in a flood. The title got soaked but was 100% legible. It seems NJ put a 6 month limit on replacing titles from the flood and they would not accept the water stained one I had. It was just a little brown in one spot.

oh well