Soldiers Without Knives Going to Iraq

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be far more effective for all of us to seriously rag to our our various elected representatives. This sort of BS, along with lack of up-armoring, old, heavy vests, etc. has got to stop. Our government seems to have a real lack of respect for our very brave warriors. Our taxes have more than covered the hardware expenses. Let some of the obscene profits that Haliburton overcharged us be required to go toward troop supplies.

Political action from us is what our troops really need most because there are so many other problems beyond missing knives.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't change this into a political rant about supporting the military... The problem, in this case, is that the solders were "disarmed" to board a charter jet and their sharp things were lost/stolen/"TSA'ed" in transit.

As they were preparing to board the flight to return home, TSA officials told them that they could not board with much of their gear (personally owned). All of thier edged weapons and multi-tools were confiscated. Marine Security forces and TSA officials arranged for all of the knives and tools to be placed in a seperate box, placed with the other gear in cargo and would be waiting for them when they arrived in NC. The long and short of it is the seperate box never made it and had "disappeared." I don't have all the details yet, but MSG Cooney will be along soon to share his story and experience with ARFCOM. He is an avid hunter, sportsman and shooter who cares for his men. As it stands right now, 160 Marines will be deploying in Feb sans edged weapons and multi-tools.
In discussing this with Protus and a few other friends and family, we are offering a Gold membership and a few bronze memberships via raffle for all those who can donate a knife or multi-tool for this worthy cause.

There are a lot of stupid things in life (and government is one of the biggest)--but Haliburton has little, if anything, to do this with this fact.

-Bill

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thank you BB for making that statement. Let's not rant about about politics even though it's hard not to. It's simple, help if you can by sending an extra knife or multi-tool to Peter. I contacted Peter as I don't have spare stuff like that, but do have some money from some over-time I put in at work that I'm giving him to purchase some items with. However, I just bet flashlights would be welcome as well.

Anyhow, thanks for reading it.
Mike

bitslammer

Enlightened
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Reading that link has my blood boiling. I say that the TSA should be immediately shipped off for minefield clearing duty.

Sorry I've go a grudge since they cut no less than 3 of my TSA approved locks off of my luggage and I ended up with missing equpiment on a business trip to South America thanks to them.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's wrong with expecting and requiring our legislators to be as proficient at their jobs as we are at ours? We and our military wouldn't have these problems if we'd vote the crooks off the island more frequently.

I'm impressed with the generous, helpful, attitudes that abound on the CPF; I'm honored to be associated with this mature reasoning group of folks from around the world. The generosity displayed here is typical of the CPF. Send the knives because they MAY reach their intended destination and help the soldiers who receive them. THEN contact the people representing you for a more lasting solution to a temporary bandaid - so this type of problem doesn't keep resurfacing.

My opinion could be wrong, but it seems that we citizens of the USA are too willing to accept poor government as a given and that's exactly what we have. I trust neither major party to do what's right and moral on their own. We must become the leaders and show our flocking legislators the correct way home or we should put them out to pasture during the next election.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
Not an Air Marshal, but a retired U.S. Marshal. Yes, maybe!

When I traveled I could carry my weapon, but was advised against carrying a pocket knife, as some DUSM who traveled after being authorized to carry a weapon on their person on the plane, had their pocket knife confiscated unless it was placed in checked baggage.:tsk:

I had them do the bomb sniff thing on my carry on baggage while traveling on offical business and allowed to board the plane armed.

What a goofy way to manage this program!

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I remember standing a security watch on the ship's fantail during round one (Desert Shield/Desert Storm). When a fellow crew member (Gunner's Mate) came to me with a brand new vest (from his father's gun shop) complete with ceramic plates, I felt somewhat relieved and more focused on the watch.

Heads-up though, some obsessive-compulsive rule freak might charge the donor with interfering with a military operation.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, what is wrong with the TSA? Taking away a knife from an armed service member? The TSA is just as useless as FEMA and the Dept. of Homeland security.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
All this crap with the TSA - take your shoes off, no liquids, bla bla bla ... has anyone noticed that the world's most security conscious airline El Al doesn't do any of this petty, annoying crap?

But I bet every last cargo container on one of their flights is searched - unlike ours.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
And their ticket agents will punch your ticket with a 9mm so effectively that they probably can't figure out why people in this country need such large caliber weapons :)

Biker Bear said:
All this crap with the TSA - take your shoes off, no liquids, bla bla bla ... has anyone noticed that the world's most security conscious airline El Al doesn't do any of this petty, annoying crap?

But I bet every last cargo container on one of their flights is searched - unlike ours.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:
Seriously, what is wrong with the TSA? Taking away a knife from an armed service member? The TSA is just as useless as FEMA and the Dept. of Homeland security.

I have always assumed that the TSA is there so as to provide the impression that the powers that be are "doing something about it". I see their work as being performance art, and not particularly related to my security. They are sort of security, but for elected officials, not you.

The 911 hijackings worked because they took people by surprise. The one that did not work, United Airlines flight 93, failed because the passengers had already realized that the rules had changed, and they reacted accordingly. The true security system on all flights since then is not the 15% chance of an air marshal being there, or stewardesses trained in obscure martial arts. It is the other passengers, who are not going to put up with any *&!! from anyone.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the point is we have young men and women who are serveing there country they need some help.if ya can help do so.they need all the help they can get no matter how ya feel about the politics

Last edited:

Latest posts