callin all KNIFE nuts

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
there has to be some knife guys here. lights and knifes seem to be on par with each other as far as gadgets go.
smile.gif

if anybody knows where i can get a 2002 year model full size emerson commander i'd like to know. the mini's have been all over the place since early last year but the full size ar elusive.

MicroE

Enlightened
tkl---Another nut checking in. I can't help you but I am curious as to why this knife is so special to you. No, I will not go and search for one and compete with you. Right now I'm going through a Benchmade phase.---Marc

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the commander cause of the ergonomics, the wave feature, the big honking recurve blade and the green G-10. i want a 2002 year model cause they beefed it up slightly. and if i don't have the latest version i'll want one anyway.
rolleyes.gif

i like the benchmades too. benchmades have better quality but the clip lets the knife ride too low in the pocket for me. too bad, cause i really dig the axis lock.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Just my 2 cents:

The feel of the Commander in the hand is great. The satin hard chrome is also very nice -- I have never had any problems with it. By contrast, the bead blast finish on both of my BM CQC7s collected rust that was extremely difficult to clean. Otherwise, the QC is a bit disappointing for the price.But Benchmade has become one of my favorite production knives and I own more of them than any other brand.

I do think that the quality of some of the Spydercos for example the Viele plain edge and the Gunting is even better than the Benchmades.

The axis lock is one of my favorite also -- little or no side to side blade play, very smooth and you don't have to get your finger in the way of the closing blade.

Good luck finding a 2002 full size -- some people have waited many months for them.
wink.gif
Maybe you want to try the Super Commander from TAD (that is the latest and does have the 2002 features except BIGGER)?
smile.gif
Did you try Bladeart -- sometimes they have stuff in stock that doesn't make it to their website (that's how I got my AR).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i should say i want a commander within reason. i believe blade art is around $169. if i'm patient i can pick one up for $140.

ygbsm

Enlightened
"patient" "within reason"? We're talking knives here! And to think the topic says "KNIFE nuts"! You're not saving for more (only 11.8 here)big macs?
grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My honest reply...Emerson knives are probably the most over-hyped knives ever...With that being said, the '02 Commanders are hard-to-find. I guess it's because the Emerson factory can only produce so much, and there are a lot of Emerson models listed...

--dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano, yeah they are over hyped. for some reason i want one. i am thinking about just buying a bm 710 and be done with it.
smile.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by dano:
My honest reply...Emerson knives are probably the most over-hyped knives ever...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Funny, although I own 5 of them, (AR, DB, SA, HT, EBS and EBLS) having bought 6 (lost an SA) and probably will get even more (although only after I get a mid-tech Simonich) , I might reserve that appellation for Strider...

This has nothing to do with the company itself, who present a straight-forward take-it-or-leave-it view of their knives as tools, but with some of the overwrought commentary in gun magazines or by posters on bulletin boards. I think Emerson also suffers from some of this.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're speaking mostly of Emerson here, maybe someone can answer my question. I just purchashed a Mini-Commander from dano which I'm very pleased with. I thought it was going to be smaller than I prefer, but once I got it in hand, it's a perfect EDC size. Question is, what kind of edge grind does it have? By all appearance, it's a chisel grind, but their website calls it a double V grind. All the chisel grind blades I've seen prior to this one were straight, tanto blades. Seeing a chisel grind on a recurve blade like this is unusual. TX

ygbsm

Enlightened
Not a big fan of the 710 -- the handle feels "clunky". I like the BM805, BM735, or BM722 better.

beemerphile

Newly Enlightened
Save some money, just buy a large and small Sebenza and be through with it. I wish I had done that BEFORE the twelve Benchmades (including the 970 and 975 Emerson designs) and two "proper" Emersons (an '02 LH Commander and a LH CQC7A). - Lee (now waiting impatiently for his Tom Mayo TNT to arrive after a year on the waiting list and wondering why he doesn't have the money for an Arc LSH-P)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the sebenzas are nice but i don't like the aluminum handles and if i'm going to spend that much i'm going to buy a strider ar.

i've decided on the bm 735. the emerson is too hyped, overpriced and the bevel grind will be too much of a hassle to sharpen.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Graham.:
Sebenza? Aluminium handle? Sebenza handles are made from titanium..

Graham
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">my bad.
bluedead.gif
folks have mentioned the handles get scratched up, that's what i was getting at.
smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
>>>i like the benchmades too. benchmades have better quality but the clip lets the knife ride too low in the pocket for me. too bad, cause i really dig the axis lock.<<<

Wow, amazing how differently two people can think!

I like my knives to ride low, to be nearly invisible. It helps with the sheeple. And I have no visions of being all that fast on the draw and presentation.

So go ahead and leave all the 'lowriders' to me!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i should have said they ride too low on the large 4" knifes. i don't seem to have that much trouble with their 3.6" knives, hence me getting a 735.
smile.gif

playboyjoe, as far as "discreet carry", i've never really understood this. i always thought it was just knife nuts taking themselves or their knives too seriously. i've never heard or seen anybody make any fuss over a knife clipped inside of somebodys pocket let alone notice it. most sheeple walk around looking for quarters on the ground anyway.

but hey, to each his own.
smile.gif