Toaster? Calling on CPF for that oh-so-unique odd advice...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Our toaster has died. It was a fine Sunbeam Toast Locic toaster and the viewing window has got to be one of the most unique features around for a toaster. What has happened (Among other things I'm sure) is the relay went out that holds it down. I think the whole "Toast Logic" system went kaput.

The Toast Logic system is supposed to adjust to voltage and to if the toaster is hot or cold--I think it not only ajusted cooking time but the temperature of the coils. The reasons I think it went kaput are that the toast lever wouldn't stay down and tonight when I toasted a piece of bread (By holding the lever down) it toasted awfully fast like the coils were set to maxumum temp.

So now that you've learned more than you ever wanted to know about toasters...reccomend one to me. $10-$30 range please although I know how nice thost $100 models are. I think we'll replace it with this one as I think they had them at costco for about $20 but hey! It's CPF--I'm sure somone else has a reccomendation
tongue.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
You're a nut, Saaby, but that's not a bad thing.

I have a Sunbeam "gold" toaster. Found it at walmart, has a non-stick top and slide out crumb tray, little buttons for "pastry", "bagel", and "frozen". Grabs the little slices and takes them down, centered, while it toasts.

I don't think it has a computer in it, though.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like toast
smile.gif

I use the opposing nature of two universal truths to power mine with an perpetual motion device that you may be interested in. The specific plans for this device have been suppressed by the oil industry, the bush administration, PETA and the trilateral commission, but I think I can safely give you some general description without endangering your safety.

It is a fact that once jelly has been applied to toast that it will ALWAYS land jelly side down, the flavor of jelly is unimportant, but please note that the same results can not be achieved with preserves). There is an equal but opposite force that ensures my cat always lands on her feet. (The breed of cat is unimportant)

By attaching a slice of toast and jelly to the back of my cat I am able to create a rotor that spins quickly and hovers a few feet off the ground.

It is not difficult to tap into this energy to power the house, or the car or the toaster.

I hope this post has been helpful, but remember if you begin to experiment with over unity devices THEY will eventually come for you and confiscate your work. Which can be a real shock to everyone in your home, especially if you were fond of the cat...

WaltH

Enlightened
JamesS,
I had to cut that and paste into an email for my wife. Hovers above the ground...you're cracking me up!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ditto Sasha, now I know what a fish feels like after he takes the bait and gets hooked!
grin.gif

However, it was more interesting than a "Consumers Reports" article on toasters!

Greta

Flashaholic
No Sigman... it's a train wreck. You know it's going to be horrible and ugly and you're going to run screaming into the street... but you just have to look anyway...
hellno3d.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Saaby,

Let's go over what you plan on toasting. It you're gonna limit yourself to just toast, then any toaster ought to do.

Turning it up a notch towards gastronomic delight, bagels are good. Good bagels need a good toaster and good toasters (versatile with a bagel setting)aren't cheap. Kitchen Aid $50-100 is great.

If your not having bagels, toaster hash browns need a good toaster. Pop Tarts can be toasted in most anything although the same can't be said for Pillsbury Toaster Strudel. Gotta go high tech on this one.

Are you gonna have Eggo Waffles? Previously frozen bread products need a good toaster.

Got to vote for the Kitchen Aid.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sabby,
The one you plan on getting looks a lot like the broken one, except for the window. I figure with a chisel & a set of tin snips, you should be able to correct that. TX

Saaby

Flashaholic
Toast, Bagels, and the occasional Pop-Tart. Toaster Strudel is not likely but possible.

If it was up to me I'd go for the Dualit, but I'm on someone elses budget and it'll be hard enough to get them to spend more than $20 in the first place!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's true that pop-tarts will toast in anything. However they have discontinued my favorite kind which were the unfrosted cherry ones. I knew I had finally grown up when my favorite pop tarts wsa discontinued!

May I suggest a toaster oven? They have many uses for cooking as well as doing surface mount soldering. What, you think I'm kidding?

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the toaster oven myself. Toasts just about anything (including flashlights in case you ever wanted to run a simulate desert durability test), and has a window. On the subject of pop tarts, did anyone see the video where a poptart was left in a toaster for too long and burst into flames? It was one of multicolored blow torch flames too. I'll have to dig it up and post a link.

-Mike

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmm....toaster oven may be to large but if we were to go that route, which toaster oven would you reccomend?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryan, just get a nice simple old-fashioned electric toaster. They almost never break down. Time tested and they have been around for many, many years.

You might want something wide enough for bagels, if any of you eat toasted bagels (or English muffins).

Toaster ovens work well too.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
The toaster oven can do the toaster strudel. I think they have to be cooked horizontally, unlike Pop Tarts which have the ability to be ambidextrious - horizontal and vertical.

If counter space isn't a concern, a toaster oven would be my first choice. I like Delonghi myself. The monster-in-law has an el cheapo Black & Decker and while it works OK, it doesn't have Delonghi power!!!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Saaby...The toaster oven is indeed versatile, but if you are only getting a "standard" toaster be sure you get one with the wider slots to toast bagels and the like as Charles has suggested!

Ahhh, but with the toaster oven you can make those little english muffin pizzas, sandwich "melts", t.v. dinners for 1, so many different little "finger foods", I'm getting hungry, gotta go use the toaster oven now...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Toaster Oven is far too large for out cluttered cluttered counter
frown.gif

Toaster Albany describes is $25 at Wal-Mart. The next model up, under the Oster name (Oster=Sunbeam) is $25 at Costco. Looks like we'll get that one, it seems a nice toaster and yes--it does have those pre-requisite wide slots. Don't all toasters these days?