When would we have CREE XR-E Pelican/Streamlight, etc?

When are we going to have affordable, Cree based flashlights from top rated manufacturers such as Streamlight, Mag, Pelican etc?

So far the only manufacturers are Chinese generics and Surefire, which means both ends of extreme. Surefire is likely going to cost an arm and a leg even though it is going to be good.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having already adopted CR123's, I'd personally prefer to see a Cree Scorpion or TL-2 just about as much as a Cree SF G2 (I'm waiting for a Cree BOG module!). I just got an incan Scorpion and G2 and they are nice compact lights. A Cree not driven very hard could stay reasonably cool in a plastic body with a copper slug behind it and an aluminum reflector used as heat sinks, but may still need a temperature circuit like the Mag LEDs.
And a nice 2C or 2AA Pelican would make a great gift for a Pelican lover I know.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
When are we going to have affordable, Cree based flashlights from top rated manufacturers such as Streamlight, Mag, Pelican etc?

So far the only manufacturers are Chinese generics and Surefire, which means both ends of extreme. Surefire is likely going to cost an arm and a leg even though it is going to be good.

Summer 2007 (I am not sure about the manufacturers you listed though)...

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I can't say anything that isn't pure speculation - but I agree with the above (I wish I could be more interesting):

* Cree SL 4 AA Propoly
* Cree BOG module for SF G2

In addition, a two-AA light with the exact same characteristics of the Propoly, except being obviously easier to fit into a pocket. Maybe the new 2AA Electrolumens?

I hope CPF is making things happen faster by constantly reviewing them. I get the impression Fenix at least keeps up to date with these pages - after all, wouldn't you pick up on all this free market research?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
These companies are aware of the new LED's. THe difference between a Luxeon based and EZ1000 chip based light is obvious even at the pegboard in ambient light. I would guess competition will encourage some to lead with the new LED's and others to follow in order to keep up.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it would be a safe speculation to say that streamlight is aware of the cree.