Hypothetical Question: What happens if surefire goes out of business?

Dustin Liu

Banned
If surefire goes out of business what will happen? How will we get our lamp assemblies and accessories? Are the people that bought tons of flashlights (non-LED) from surefire screwed?

I know this won't happen, but just wondering. :huh2:

:whistle:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
SF outta business? Barring the "Big One" accompanied by a tsunami sufficient to make it to Fountain Valley from the beach, I kinda doubt it! Their VP of engineering (pk) "leaked" their "business plan" is to take the lead from gag in the next couple years! That was from the night before last at the SHOT Show party.

Larry

blake711

Newly Enlightened
If surefire was to go out of bizness. Soon after would be the Catastrophic Implosion of the Universe

Also Whats GAG?

Plus you could always buy the Chinese made bulbs that work in SF stuff.

Blake

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you'll be able to get them from Mag-lite because if they do go out of business Mag or SL will catch them and take over.

Never say never because look at GM they ain't doing too well either and remember TWA?

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Chinese will produce replacement parts. (G)M^g doesn't appear smart enough to snatch any SF fallout but with the dozens of high end flashlight manufacturers around, at least one of them will pick up the pieces.

The US military and domestic LEOs seem, at present, to have good job security. The Mid-East unrest, North Korea, Anywhere Else, associated peace and anti government protests along with our Barbaric "war on drugs" will ensure an increasing market for good lights. SF or our entire economy would have to self destruct.

No matter what may occur...is doesn't pay to warroy, I'm ment worry. :) Be happy. :)

Last edited:

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
It will be a dark day!

(pun intended)

I can't ever see it happening. Who else would do the cutting edge research for others to clone?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting about Surefire going after gaglight,
This tells me either PK had too much to drink, was bewildered by the brightness of a McGizmo light or has AA powered lights on the drawing board. Hmmm... a 2AA Surefire would indeed be interesting. :popcorn:

Bryan

Enlightened
It's just like cars. When a specific model is no longer built, the aftermarket will come into play. Everything inside a car can be replaced with aftermarket parts that are as good or better than stock.

Lumens Factory would probably be the top dog for lamps in my opinion (if SF went under). With all of this said, I don't think SF is going anywhere, but anything could happen I suppose.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regentag said:
Barring some "revival" of the incandescent bulb, inevitably some SF parts will become obsolete, probably about 5 years or so after the Military and PD's quit using them. Can't completely rule out a revival, though - they're making vacuum tubes once again in all the once-popular sizes (albeit in China rather than Holland or the UK).
Cheers,

OTOH, you never know...who would have thought you could still buy a new stylus, even a new turntable, in 2007? Some technologies just refuse to die.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there are enough SF users and there is enough demand, some other company might provide parts. As it is, there are already a lot of 'compatible' SF parts from bodies to lamp assemblies.

If you can't get parts, I guess it's like any other product whose manufacturer goes down; time to leave it behind (unless you can get custom parts) and buy other brands.