Cheapest 3w, NOT Mag Light

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Well I've had about enough of the flicker with my son's 3AA 3w MM. I'm returning it. The output was impressive, very similar to my P1, but the flicker is unacceptable.

Any suggestions for another light in a similar price range? Batt type doesn't matter, in fact 123s or similar would be great as I already have a DSD multi-charger from Lighthound.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Whats the MM cost? $25-30?

I'd go with the Nuwai X3 or LED Lenser Hocus Focus

I have both and they are great lights. The Hocus Focus is expensive but if you get it on ebay it can be had for around $30. I believe I paid around $35 for each.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hokus Fokus (or Police Tech Focus) from LED Lenser only has a 1.25w Luxeon I LED, but the output is very good. Not sure it will match up to your 3 watt specification though.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
MikeSalt said:
The Hokus Fokus (or Police Tech Focus) from LED Lenser only has a 1.25w Luxeon I LED, but the output is very good. Not sure it will match up to your 3 watt specification though.
On the package of mine it says 3.44 watts....

it sure as hell is brighter than all of the lights listed in my sig! :rock: (Maybe not the maxfire...but I don't have any 123's to compare the two)

However, I'll throw another vote for the 4AA propolymer Luxeon. That light has served me well and seen the most use.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second maycoopers suggestion for the 4AA propoly, You cant go wrong there, I actually just brought it in from the truck when i got back from the grocery store. I dont know why i brought it in, i just did,. Eventually i will get a second one.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
2000xlt said:
I'll second maycoopers suggestion for the 4AA propoly, You cant go wrong there, I actually just brought it in from the truck when i got back from the grocery store. I dont know why i brought it in, i just did,. Eventually i will get a second one.
It's such a great all-around light.

Its never let me down, I even swam across a river at night with it tied to my wrist submerged the whole time once when me and some buddies went camping last summer.

Get it here (and make sure you get the Luxeon model!) :
http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $15 with free shipping this MXDL is kind of hard to beat. I got one for my sister a few months back and she loves it. Downside is 3 AAA batteries in a carrier, but the price is definitly right. It really has a nice finish and lok for the price too.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1011.htm

PICT0078.JPG

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Advanced Auto Parts 2C 3 watt pumps out some serious throw for just under $20. The 3AA MiniMag has better flood, but the AAP beats it for throw.

Geoff

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
The Advanced Auto Parts 2C (I have the TaskForce version from Lowes) is a nice light with medium build quality. For something that has a very nice quality light and is of high build quality that looks good and feels good in your hand, look at the HuntLight FT-01PJ for $30. I like my HuntLight tons better than my TaskForce, and they were the same price.

Vickers

Enlightened
I am very impressed with the P1D-CE, but calling the LED MMs "dim and pointless" is as laughable as thinking that CREE LEDs won't be obsolete in a couple of years.

carrot

Flashaholic
Get a Flaxton Photon Destroyer. ;)

Try replacing the batteries in the MagLED first. I heard that the batteries they came with may be the cause of flickering (how? I have no idea). Or for just a little more money, you can pick up a Fenix L2S, or better, an L2T. You won't see a HUGE improvement in output between the L2S and L2T, but some would say the difference is worth the extra cost. If cost is an important factor, just get the L2S. It's a good light, and bright to boot.

My L2T is brighter than my MagLED 3AA, but I have not compared the 3AA to the L2S.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I skimmed this thread and if this has been mentioned I simply did not see it however one light I had almost forgot about....The Nuwai Q3

I carried one of these for years and it has seen several different luxeon stars as it is so very easy to mod and in stock form using a rechargeable cell it is a hard light to beat for the cost and value.

Very many threads here about this old favorite and I still very much enjoy mine.

Latest posts