Looking for new light for LAPD

blueknight2000

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am a Los Angeles Police officer and I am looking for a new flashlight to carry. I currently carry an ultra stinger as my primary light and a Surefire L6 as my back up light. I am tring to find a light which could replace both my current lights and allow me to carry just one light.

I am looking for an aluminum light with a military spec coating that is approx 4-7 inches long and can fit on my duty belt. A light with a two stage tail cap where I could switch from a red LED light to a regular LED (similar to the SureFire A2 Aviator) by just applying one-hand pressure to the tail cap. However I would need a beam alot brighter than the A2. A beam similar to my L6 would be acceptable. The light would need to be a bit more conventional in shape than my L6 since I will be wearing it on my belt.

Also a feature I would like but do not necessarily need would be an LED to Incadensent switch possiby within the head of the flashlight.

Short of a sci fi light saber, is there any flashlight out there that would suit my needs??????????Thanks for any feedback.....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I believe the new SF Kroma will meet your needs and then some. You can set the selector on red and have red with partial depression and white with full depression.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you consider a modified light?

If so, milkyspit here on CPF modifies Surefire lights to make them better and higher output.

One mod to consider would be the Surefire M3 mod with 3 Cree LED's putting out considerably more light than the L6.

BUT...Two lights is one, one is none!

Bill

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you wait a few months, with the rapid developments in flashlights, Cree etc. you may find your options are much greater than ever before, at more reasonable pricing. Surefire is going Cree and I am sure that other options will be available very soon also.

I hope you find what you are looking for :).

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I have with Pila lights is that the incan portion has no shock protection, and for LEO's I consider that a MUST on incan lights.

A two stage, BRIGHT LED solves that problem.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no doubt that Pila lights are a great value, as are Wolf Eyes.

BUT...would YOU depend on them to save YOUR life? To work EVERY time, under ANY cirmcumstances?

There are only 2 manufacturers I have that much faith in, Surefire and Tigerlight, and Tigerlight doesn't make a light that fits his requirements.

Bill

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they only torch that could fit his needs would be a Cree in a Kroma if that gets made. It would give L6 like brightness with color options