LEO's & Security Folks: any reactions to this?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
LEO\'s & Security Folks: any reactions to this?

Any comments on this? Especially in regards to the idea that a flashlight makes you into a vulnerable target, and that when the chips are down you don't use it anyway. Agree, disagree? Unfortunately I don't know the source.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

LESSON #13 The flashlightEverytime I watch COPS on TV I flinch. You see some cops running around holding their flashlights like a bunch of idiots. They all look like they are making a movie, were trained and swallowed the nonsense like robots and never questioned how it is done in the real world because what they learn "looks cool." That is the honest real life truth.We are concerned with cosmetics and trendy instead of staying alive. Officers and security guards wave the flashlight around like a magic wand that will somehow bless then with some un-seeable wisdom and information.

NOT!!!!Let's back up a little to the 1960's. When I got into law enforcement we had cheap easy to break chrome two cell flashlights. They served the purpose well but if you slammed a car door on them or they broke they were rather disposable. The company, "Kel-Lite" flashlight came about. A strong aluminum flashlight that took a real beating and the four-cell model made an ideal club if you needed it. That soon lead to a pile of legal actions but it started the concept that a flashlight was a "tactical tool." It was no longer a flashlight.It smashed windows, heads, and doors. It seemed to solve a lot of problems. Other manufacturers came on line and the flashlight was a fashion statement. " Mine is brighter and bigger than yours" was born. Not content with the device just giving us light, it became a complex "system." We had to have more than one and attached them to guns, recharged them and wrote books about how to use the simple flashlight.

Let's stop the nonsense.First of all, it is damned seldom an officer or civilian is walking in an area with out enough light to see. Even inside of buildings, I've watched guards or officers run around with their Hollywood flashlight moves and not bother to reach for a simple light switch. "The crooks will see me." They scream when you turn on the lights. Unless you are hunting for Stevie Wonder they will certainly see YOUR flashlight. If daylight is good, then lights are good. Simple logic unless you want to bore us with some wild way out "one time" or "what if" concept.

Years ago the FBI (the sometimes experts on such things) said you MUST hold the flashlight away from your body as far as you can because the thug will shoot AT the light. That wasn't good enough for the new breed that made the flashlight into a "tool." That was far too easy. They came up to the idea (with help from armchair gun writers with little or NO experience) that you should hold it in one hand and the gun in the other together, sometimes back of hand to back of hand. Man, that looks "cool."Nobody stopped it then and asked some common sense questions. Will a thug shoot at the light? I would think so if I was trying to avoid capture. It sure is a target of opportunity.Another fact they ignore is why would you give up ONE hand in the dark and claim you need TWO in the daylight? Also, having BOTH hands full most of the time at night isn't very smart. The flashlight becomes a serious liability. Also most shootings are at such close range, light is seldom an issue.What is amazing is the armchair types that make up flashlight "stances" named after them. How nice for promotion of books etc. Of course they can't tell you something simple, or you won't buy the book or video. It must be complex and require a lot of effort to make the money spent worth it. Also you sound very knowledgeable when you show someone else this well named knowledge.One of my favorites is how the flashlight beam will DAZZLE the suspect. Sure it will and the drugs, insanity and booze won't? Also, a thug won't stand still while you wave the flashlight around to find his moving face, and what the hell are you doing trying to shine a light on someone that needs a bullet?Even using the older FBI system of holding your flashlight extended from your body produces more than enough light to show you as a pretty good target. Light will reflect off walls, ceilings, and even bushes to light you up pretty good.The whole thing smells from the start. If you go walking around in the dark you soon learn that when your eyes adjust you can see where you are going and do some pretty good searching on your own without any light. The flashlight can become a pacifier.

Many departments have changed to very small lights and officers find them much lighter to carry and almost as effective in normal circumstances.I've reviewed a few dozen shootings where a flashlight was present in the officer's hands. In EVERY case the light hits the ground. When afraid or think you will die, the flashlight is a gone issue. A major New York City study in the late 1980's that officers did use the flashlights for searches, but the minute trouble surface the lights were on the floor or street. Other studies have shown the same results. They are only applied until trouble arrives and the flashlight may speed up that process.We urge students to use BOTH hands to shoot and/or defend them and to bring out a flashlight ONLY when everything is under control. We also show a TWO person approach where one can stand at a distance (distance is a lifesaver) and use the light of ONE flashlight and the other officer or person uses a two handhold on their gun etc. A flashlight is a serious liability in the dark. I've even seen officers with their flashlights in their hands in daytime hours. Again, it is not a magic wand.When possible use car lighting, or available lights. It is amazing how many building searches take place and nobody bothered to flick a light switch on.We've tried to catch on a real video where an officer held onto a flashlight in a shooting situation and so far we don't have one. With hundreds of actual videos of shootings it is obvious such an event is rare to non-existent.Instead of trying to make a fashion statement, look at your flashlight as having a place of course, but let common sense prevail and examine your use of it. If it just makes you FEEL better, or you want to look efficient, trained, professional and "cool" you are on the wrong track. Your life is not a fashion statement.We have compared flashlight shooting vs no flashlight shooting in low light and darkness and the gain of accuracy and control of the gun without the flashlight is a no contest winner EVERYTIME.In fact, in practice when we apply a little stress they forget to turn on the flashlight or forget to use it, or drop it on the floor. Trying to concentrate on a flashlight AND a gun at the same time is not easy even with no stress present.T

he vast majority of the time you will know damn well if you are in danger, and the range will be so close a flashlight will have little application or advantage.
You don't need an electronic security blanket or something to keep your hands busy. (c)1998 Plus P Technology, Inc.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: LEO\'s & Security Folks: any reactions to this?

good points. the cases they speak of, can they be confirmed? are they a reputable training facility?

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened

Looks like one was a journalist part time officer and the other was a police administrator.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of the above article has merit, especially turning the lights on during a building search, but most of it is unsubstantiated opinion that has no standing or facts to back up its position.

--dan

Walt

Newly Enlightened

Hello everyone. A few further thoughts and uses for flashlights - on duty and during the day.

Looking (O.K.-searching) under any vehicle's seat, inside a panel van, the cargo areas of most trucks or 18-wheelers. Also the darker areas inside almost every building, like garages, basements and windowless rooms - no matter what time of day.

Don't leave yourself without an option concerning those inside building lights. The badguy may be able to turn them off, just when it's least convienent for you.

A sweep across the eyes with a powerful light has been effective, even outside in full daylight.

I realize that I don't have to talk the majority of you into having effective lights handy. Some of the above described situations could also present themselves to a homeowner.

Most commercial buildings, office buildings hospitals, some stores, and the like will often become too dark to navigate safely without artificial light during an outage. Depending on emergency lighting and back-up generators is a personal choice. I feel confident enough to say most of us would like to avoid tripping over something.

With all the small light/big beam units out there, it seems foolish not to equip yourself with that option today.

Thank you !

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
Brightnorm,

That would be from the Plus P Technology website: http://www.plusp.com/lesson13.html

Greetings,
Velcro
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Velcro

Brightnorm

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

I have personally invited this gentlemen, his staff and anyone else he can think of to a neutral training site to test his theories in a rigorous, comprehesive force-on-force simulation to take place in varied terrain, lighting conditions, and mission objectives over a several day period.

I stated I would like all to see which cadre and underlying philosophy would most correctly ID targets, successfully engage hostile threats and suffer the fewest friendly force casualities.

I stated that the SureFire Institute would provide all the necessary resources to facilitate the videotaped event. Videotapes would be made availble to the public and obtained on the SureFire website or any other website of his choosing.

I stated we would take care of all expenses for all parties concerned.

I did so publicly on his website approx 1 year ago as well as privately via email.

This gentlemen decided not to avail himself of this offer but rather deliver a convoluted explaination as to why this would not be vaild or acceptable.

The offer still stands.

Yes illumination tools have a downside. Guess what, through proper training one can mitigate the downside and leverage the upside with surprising results.

If you believe this gentlemen and the "information" he provides on his website, training is irrelevant, since you will always revert back to your deep animalistic instincts under duress.

I have been wasting my time apparently. I am living under the false pre-supposition that Forumula Race car drivers actually knew what they were doing in a dangerous environment. Silly me, I should have known they were born with a steering wheel in hand and a 800-hp tricycle underneath their backside!

See also: http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=2812&forum=7&start=0

My responses are at the end of Page 3 and Page 4

DonL

Enlightened

Even as a "civilian", the author's article and kogatana's and Ken's comments made in the Pistolsmith Forum, all make sense, depending on the particular situation.

For example, my own use of light in dark buildings would take place because of power interruptions, not as a result of an intruder call.

At home, many of us, or even all of us at some time walk around the house at night, to get a drink, hit the head, let the cat/dog out/in, feed the baby. Realistically, though, isn't there usually some sort of of light source, a nightlight, light on the stove, moonlight or streetlight illumination sneaking in the shades or blinds. I would think that at night, having the advantage of the familiarity of your surroundings would give on the advantage when exploring that bump in the night.

(Personally, I don't know if I'd go actively looking for someone. There are a number of stories of prosecution or other liabilities connected with seeking out an intruder. Personally, I'd have the wife grab her cellphone and call authorities, and I'd be cocked and locked, and holding onto my M3, in case someone comes in the bedroom door.)

LEOs and other tactical folks have a definite need to learn how to use (or not use) a light, depending on the circumstances. Their jobs are much more complicated than I could imagine. Ken's previous comments on the proper training for the use of lights seems right on the money. Inferring that a light has a use limited to not much more than checking under the bed for Mrs. McGillicutty's cat seems myopic to me.

I would have been very curious if Ken's offer would have been accepted. Alot of people talk a good game, but when challenged, back off on their assertions.

Walt

Newly Enlightened

Who ya gonna call ? . . . K-9

Respectfully

brightnorm

Flashaholic

QUOTE]Originally posted by flexmodem:
....Clicky switches are bad as well for duty LEO carry. Imagine a darkened environment and when you light an area, you notice a "bad guy". You accidentally "click" the light to constant on as you attempt to move. Momentary and tailcap switches are a necessity in certain professions.
For normal non duty type situations, like walking at night etc, I use underhand and clicky switches for comfort.
[/QUOTE]

KT,

That quote is from a different thread, but I would like to know your response in view of your ASP Triad carry. Do you only use it for certain situations? (I remember that you mentioned that there is now an instant-on/off available for the Triad, but that you had gotten used to the clickie).

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic

There are those that make it their lifework to win in low/no light confrontations. The use of light for these guys is a powerful tool.

Training & Practice & Experience.

Perhaps it's like the fire triangle I learnt in school (fuel, heat, oxygen) Take one or more away and you don't have fire.

I'm guessing here, but wouldn't performance and the ability to apply effective illumination will suffer just like fire?

Saying light can not help you in the darkness is like saying a car isn't a method you could use to get you from a to b.

My 2 pence...

Al
tongue.gif

Walt

Newly Enlightened

The use of a handheld light (the likes of which we have available today) in so many ways is new, and necessitates another look into all the possibilities (tactics), looking for both the good and the bad sides of the issue. We have not our fathers flashlights !

All LEO's have been educated in the use of another tool they have - thier weapons. Proper use and techniques in the use of this tool has been at least thought by them, probably well before even being sworn in. Then a whole bunch of classroom and range time would be devoted to the mechanics, application, legalities and skills of that dicipline.

While most LEO's would recognize the importance of a suitable application of light when needed, the flashlight has recieved little such thought from most individuals, (not to mention departments) in the past. You were sort of on your own, and common sense was hopefully your friend.

Today, with a product like Sure-fire produces, (beam quality & product reliability) I believe LEO's have an important new option that they can (and should) consider.

Walt/ramblings

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Norm,
I use the Triad for most applications requiring short, intense bursts of light. I've gotten so use to the clickie switch that I use it for the momentary function, too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes sense that if you have trained and habituated yourself to using the light in a certain way, your response with it in a sudden situation would be more
"instinctively" controlled than most.

BN