Need web host and domain name

TOB9595

Enlightened
Hello all, I've done searches here and have emailed a few folk but I don't see anything recent.This will hit the largest masses. I'm looking for a web host and a domain name.
What experience do you have with your providers? I'll be staying away from free hosts as I think they can be blodgey (if that's a word). You get what you pay for and I don't want to payy too much. Is it best to get one provider for both? Separate providers for domain name and web host?
There was great info that I gleaned from Chromatophile's topic about his page.
Thanks for any and all info.
Tom

TOB9595

Enlightened
A ps to this: I want to register a domain name and have the renewals sent to me so that if the company I registered thru goes belly up I still can remain active.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tripod hosts torchreviews.net. Their free service sucks these days but sign up for their Pro account and you get a free domain name, 50Mb storage, 10Mb monthly bandwidth, 5 sub-domains, 5 pop e-mail addresses, 5 redirecting e-mail addresses and some other stuff too including CGI script support and full file sharing/hotlinkable images. Costs me $8 per month plus a one-off $15 setup fee.
They also offer Webmaster and Expert (?) grade accounts with more storage, bandwidth, e-mails and subdomains, plus more other stuff too. They cost more but it`s not extortionate - and remember that includes a fully fledged domain, not just one that bounces you back into a (yourname).tripod.com address.

I can`t see the Lycos Networks failing any time soon so you shouldn`t have to worry about longevity, and as you grow more experienced and demand more of your web space, you`ll have plenty of time to discover and implement longer term solutions that are better tailored to your needs.

But for newbies and even the experienced but not world-famous web sites, I couldn`t reccomend them enough.

And no, I don`t work for them and am not being paid by them to write this! I`m just a happy customer.

grin.gif

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using Lunarpages ( http://www.lunarpages.com/hosting.html ). They charge $7.95 a month, have no setup fees, give you 300mb of storage, allow 20GB of data transfer per month and unlimited number of e-mail addresses. So far (about a year now) I haven't had any problems with them and would recommend them.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Check out www.servercentral.net - Look at their "Starter Site" - $7 /month gets you the features below. I have 4 or 5 (I forget) domain accounts with them and am very pleased.

Server Space - 30MB
Recommended Bandwidth Usage - 2GB
Users (POP/IMAP/FTP/WEB) - 10
Anonymous FTP
24/7 FTP Access
Unlimited E-Mail Aliases
Wildcard E-Mail Alias
ASP, PHP4, MySQL, CGI
Real-Time Site Control Panel
Frontpage 2000 Extensions
Personal User Websites
Unlimited Technical Support
SMTP (Email) Gateway
Bandwidth Monitor
Traffic Stats
Domain Names (No Fees) - 1 FREE
Setup Fee - NONE

Chris

TOB9595

Enlightened
Thanks for the info y'all. I'm still learning what email aliases, subdomains and the like are. This info will help me while weeding thru the newbie stuff.
Amazing how inexpensive web hosts are
smile.gif

Tom

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly suggest you register through Network Solutions - They are a little more expensive than most of the others, but they are "the granddaddy" of the registrars, are reliable and more stable than anyone else. http://www.netsol.com

If you do register through someone else, especially through a hosting company be very careful; A lot of them will register the domain name under their own name and will hold it hostage if you ever want to transfer to another host.

I used AIT http://www.aitcom.net/ as a host for a long time and have been very happy with them in terms of reliability and the package they offer. Especially if you want to do E-commerce (using your own merchant credit card account.) They have a built in shopping cart that is easy to use.

But I have recently started moving things to http://www.featureprice.com/ They offer a lot of good stuff, including "UNLIMITED" Disk space and "UNLIMITED" bandwidth with the package I have with them and are a heck of a lot cheaper than AIT, but still as reliable (so far) and better customer service.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Yes, web hosting is very cheap. The software is what cost the big bucks. I pay $96 a year for 25 meg and unlimited bandwidth. I have never used more than 10 meg. I got it nearly 4 years ago and i'm supposed to have it for life, I hope the company last that long. (That was a scary statement) I will re-phrase: I hope they last a very long time and I last longer.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do a 'whois' on your favorite site (CPF right???
grin.gif
) and see who uses what.

If you don't have access to that command locally on your computer, then you can get the results from any one of the gazillion web sites that offer the service. A quick search came up with this one:
www.whois.net

Just type in the final 2 parts to a domain name you want to find out about, such as "candlepowerforums.com" because that's the only part that's significant as domain.

Let me pre-apologize if I've just insulted you and you knew all this already.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Binky no insult perceived. Did you mean to hurl one
smile.gif
smile.gif

It's much better to hear something several times than not at all. My opinion. I ran into the who is while researching this and I used it for a project. I didn't think to use it to find out the host. Great idea. Like if I see a site layout I like I click view page source to see how they laid it up.
I'm going to go a separate domain name registrar that ensures I receive the renewal notices and won't hold hostage my name.
Still haven't settled on one yet.Network Solutions looks very fine for my dns.
Tom
Tom

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think it's a little nutty to pay NetSol $25/year for a 3 year reg. GoDaddy is a pretty popular registrar, and at $8.95/year, it's a great deal. I've bought a couple of domains through them and am very happy. It is super easy to change DNS info through their web interface.

As for hosting, it is truly a buyers market! Check out this site to run a quick check of some of deals around.

I'm currentlu with www.glowhost.com. For $4.50/month I get 50 Megs storage and 2 GBs transfer. As well, they have an amazing control panel loaded with traffic analysis progs, webmail, shopping carts, etc... Couldn't be happier!

Anarchocap

Enlightened
All I can say is DON'T go with BuyDomains.com. I went with them because they were only $16 for renewals, and got hosed on their "free features". Now they won't let me switch for two months even though their E-Mail forwarding service is misleading as advertised.

My previous domain registrar and forwarding provider was NamesDirect.com. Now that I am stuck with BuyDomains for 60 days, I miss NamesDirect dearly. Given my current experience, $30 a year was so worth it!

FWIW, another company that looks pretty decent and also seems to be a NamesDirect reseller is MyDomain.com, but I don't have any real experience with them.

I don't have any need for web hosting, so I can't really help with that...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
SORRY ABOUT THE FOLLOWING RANT.

Man, I hope no one took my advice on using featureprice.com for a host.

Those guys TOTALLY SUCK. Their package prices (for multiple site hosting) were real good, and their servers are pretty decent, good connections to the backbone and stuff. And for the first couple of months tech support was pretty decent (although I only had to contact them twice: once before signing up and once a week or two later.).

Well, I wanted to transfer another one of my domains there, get it off my more expensive host.. I am allowed up to six domains for the single package price on my 1 year pre-paid contract. Took me a week to get an answer from them because after my first email the next 14 emails were rejected by their help desk mail server as "permission denied" - so no one even got the chance to read them. I spent another 6 hours online waiting online for their online "chat" help interface, which never made contact either.

Telephone support? HA! they won't talk to you over the phone unless you email them first and get a ticket number and code word assigned. And their tech support email server is set up to reject any follow up emails from any specific email account.

I finally got through by setting up a new email account: Their reply was that because they have gone to a new control panel system this month, my old setup will not allow adding new domains (I have 2 there, and by contract am allowed 4 more.) So, I need to sign up for a new account to set up with the new control panel.

Follow the provided link to set up on the new system. Hmm, they want credit card information, bank account information and all kinds of personal information that wasn't required when I first signed up over there.

I think; "Are they going to charge me for this???" I guess I wouldn't mind too much a small setup charge, even though it doesn't seem right to me... But I want to know what the charge will be, since it isn't disclosed on the sign-up page. So, I email them from the contact link at the bottom of the signup page. It bounces from the server: "no such account". OK, I send an email to the main billing email. It bounces as "refused".... Send it again from the other email account I had to set up. Also "refused"

Set up ANOTHER dam# new email account. That one gets through. They tell me I have have to set up a completely new account and pay for it. I reply, asking if I get pro- rated for the remaining 9 months on my original contract.

Bounces as "refused". Try again with another email account: "refused". Try with the third email: "refused".

I guess I'll stick with hosting at AIT where I have been for the last 4-5 years. They are significantly more expensive, and have raised rates with no notice, but at least you can occasionally get through to them. They have some interesting new packages too, including one with UNLIMITED traffic. for $19.00 a month, and a "free" shopping cart which works pretty well if you sell stuff online and have your own merchant account.

ANYWAY, whatever you do, stay away from featureprice.com, and if anyone took my earlier advice, I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Another gripe, which seems to apply to USA based web hosting companies in general: It would be nice if they at least got their tech support people to take an ESL course first. I don't speak Hindu, Pakastani nor arabic.... and they do not seem to be able to understand either English or "murican".

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Amhosting http://www.amhosting.com/ and are registered with Dotster
http://web.dotster.com/. Amhosting has been wonderfull and has incredible
customer service. The few problems I had ( not with them, just getting
setup and some questions) emailed them about get answered usually within
hours, the longest I ever had to wait for a reply was the next day. The
plan I currently have is the "regular" plan found here
http://www.amhosting.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Virtual&file=index I
started out with the "basic" plan but needed more server space. I have had
very little down time on my web site and the little it was down I noticed
many other sites were down also so I figured it was an internet thing and
not their fault.

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Hey Silv,

I feel your pain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I actually just ran a search to find this thread as I recalled your endorsement of FP and wanted to issue a warning too.

I've hosted with FeaturePrice since Sept 2001. Everything was AOK until a few days ago when POP mail stopped arriving. Hmmm. And the site is down! Hmm Hmm.

Jumped through the same "support" hoops as you without any resolution. I also got the "We've migrated to a new control panel so please fill out this form" thing. Damn! I did it and now wonder, like you, whether I just authorized another year of service. Way, way shady!

My favourite was the call to their tech line:
"Thank you for choosing FeaturePrice.com. Have a pleasant day. Good Bye!"

Thought, "That can't be good at all!" and did a quick search at WebHosting Talk forums. Came up with this ridiculously long list of complaints. Uh oh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Started the ball rolling with GlowHost I've had another site hosted with them for a few months and its been super smooth. Only signed on for 6 mos. though as I now know how fast a ship can sink.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mekki-
Thanks for the link to Webhosting talk too; Somehow I missed that in my various web wanderings.

Looks like FeaturePrice is really going to he77 in a handbasket.

My domain emails there have occasionally been spotty for a week or so, but never down more than 20 minutes or so that I've noticed.

Fortunately everything I have there is more or less a mirror to older sites hosted over on AIT, so even if the whole thing goes down permanently I won't be totally messed over.

Better call your Credit card company and tell them to cancel any payments to FP. I think they also DBA as Hosting-Network Inc. They could be cleaning everyone out before they high-tail out of here. A month or so ago, I ran across a rumor that they were all "Ay-rabs".... Maybe they are bugging out. I kind of doubt it myself though- All the names I've seen from there seem more Indian (Hindu type, not Apaches or Mohawks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: What about software?

Hello TOB9595,

I also am looking for a Web host.

I am also wondering what software you are using for your web page? I have heard some people use Front Page, or Microsoft Publisher, or Word. What are you planing on using?

Tom

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Web Hosts and Software

I just ran across these guys:
http://www.hostnexus.com/

Their prices are reasonable, but the thing that REALLY impresses me is that they have a forum set up where you can ask questions and actually get answers! Both customers and company techs and managers are online quite often and will help you out no matter how "stupid" or advanced your question. Seems like a nice community... Kind of like CPF used to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-------------------------------------------------------

SilverFox- I use FrontPage 2000 most often. Occasionally it is a pain in the butt because it thinks it knows better what I want than I do, but it is quite powerful. To be of most use though, your host has to support FrontPage extensions. Most do, some don't at all, and some charge extra for it.

I know a few people that use Word and like it OK, but I don't.

Get a book on HTML and you can design a website using Notepad or any text editor. Even if you use a powerful web tool like FP, Dreamweaver or Adobe's it is really helpful to actually be able to do html coding on your own.

FrontPage Express is a "free" but limited version of FP from Microsoft. It works sort of OK. I don't know if Netscape still has it, but they used include a free website development tool that was actually pretty decent.

An old program that I used when I was first starting out was "HotDog". I liked it quite a bit.

dark star

Enlightened
Re: Web Hosts and Software

Check out
http://e-rice.net/

10 per year for a basic account - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
150M Disk Space

3G/mo Data Transfer

1 MySQL Database

10 Email/User Accounts
and they have a user forum, but the price does seem too good./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I plan to register with them in the near future.