There is no invention we can't find something to complain about

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is no invention we can\'t find something to complain about

The motto of CPF should be: "There is no invention we can't find something to complain about."

Discuss!

roguesw

Enlightened
Re: There is no invention we can\'t find something to complain about

They should hire the CPF forum members as product consultants at SureFire and all other companies, imagine a SF McLux on the market,
We are the ultimate connosieur of flashlights
Cheers

Size15's

Flashaholic

But are we the ultimate users?
Which is more important?

roguesw

Enlightened

I personally think durability and ruggedness is the most important factor regardless of cosmetics looks. However, i see that SureFire is branching out to consumers other than law enforment and the military, i understand that they have to design flashlghts that appeal to consumers.
Function over Form.

Size15's

Flashaholic

This discussion need not be focused on SureFires. I'm interested in CPF's perspective in general regarding how we approach flashlights.

It's almost as if CPF swings in love-hate cycle over different threads and topics... I'm not sure.

Al

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, SureFires suck anyways.
tongue.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Really?! I never thought to try out that feature of SureFires...
rolleyes.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Originally posted by A00079:
Really?! I never thought to try out that feature of SureFires...
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
shocked.gif
icon15.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now there's a whole new market for them..
wink.gif

roguesw

Enlightened

Well i approach all flashlights with a few questions, how bright is it, how durable is it, how much run time i can get, of course, in my mind there is always something that can be improved, i think that is down to personnal taste, a truly customised flashlight that fits our needs, that could explain why some of us have so many flashlights, cos they are always finding something that they need in another model of flashlight

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, you started it
grin.gif

Anyway, can you really say everything we do here is complain? Given, there is probably a notable percentage of pure complaint with no constructive side, but I think that the vast majority of discussion here is more of the constructive criticism type.

There appear to be a number of categories which members may fall into here:

- those who see their light as a tool, and expect it to meet the same high standards as any other tool they use seriously. Sometimes even making their own tool when what is available won't do the job. (guess who this could be?)

- those who are fascinated with the technology and functionality of lighting systems, and enjoy the opportunity to analyse and evaluate lights to a very detailed level.

- those who like the 'latest and greatest' of whatever is out there, regardless of cost.

- those who, having been drawn to one particular manufacturer or another, show considerable loyalty to that manufacturer, often showing little interest in other manufacturers. While at the same time also being highly critical of the same manufacturer.

Of course, the obvious danger of describing categories like this is that there are many who will fill more than one category, and some who don't fit in any. But I think that most of us fall into one or more of these..

Graham

Size15's

Flashaholic

There are two types of people. Those who put people sort people into two types and those who don't...

The quote isn't mine. I started a thread because I want to know how CPF feels about it.

I doubt there is anyone here who can honestly say they have found their perfect flashlight and therefore have no reason to be here.

Al

roguesw

Enlightened

If only the companies will listen to us, i am pretty sure our criticism goes a long way to making a better product.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

To follow up my previous post, what I was getting at is that there are many different types of flashlight users here, who have different motivations for acquiring a light, and different reasons for using it.
So obviously criticism will have a different focus, depending on the user.

Are we the ultimate users? No, but I think that the combined membership of CPF represents such a broad spectrum that as a group, we come close to representing the ultimate in flashlight useage.

But Al - why do you say that finding the perfect flashlight would mean there is no reason to be here.

I think this statement only applies to a few elements of CPF membership - there are many who, if they had such a light, would probably enjoy discussing it, taking it apart, doing all sorts of things.

Graham

roguesw

Enlightened

Our curiosity will always get the better of us
even if we have the perfect light, we will still take it apart and try to make it better

Des

Size15's

Flashaholic

Being perfect would mean not only that there is no way of making it better, but also that we wouldn't want to.

Perfection can not be obtained (entropy.........)

So that is why we are here - to get as close as possible.

Al

Saaby

Flashaholic

You show me (Or "us") a perfect light, I'll show you what's wrong with it
wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, yet another symptom of flasholism: never satisfied.

(just got this 1,000 watt LS flashlight that uses AAAs. Super Bright, BUT, for only 0.5 Seconds!) perfect example, using something that does not exist (yet).

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

My two cents on the subject.

I'm sure if you look in other forums of this type people will always be complaining about some aspect of something that is being discussed. How will the companies know how to improve their product if no one ever tells them what can be improved. If everybody was immediately and totally satisfied with everything they purchased we would still be living in the stone age where the only torch you could find was fire at the end of a stick. That's if we even had fire. Maybe no one complained about the darkness and everyone left well enough alone. Then where would us flashaholics be.

It happens everywhere. I used to sell audio at an electronics store. Everyone had their own pre disposed version of what sounded good. You could WOW one person with a demo that articulates every nuance of the sound and the next person to come in just wants to see how much bass can be pumped out of the speakers, next guy to come in could not care less what it sounded like he just wants to know how many watts it can push.

It's the same with audio engineers. If you took 100 soundguys and had them put together a sound system hook it up and mix a band I can guarantee you there would be no 2 identical sound systems and no identical mixes in the bunch. I can also guarantee that you would have 100% of the soundguys would complain about something somewhere in each sound system.

I have yet to do a show ( and I have done 1000+ shows) where someone didn't complain about something. And without some of those complaints I might have missed some important things and had some really bad shows.

So in my opinion your statement as the topic of this thread is 100% true. And that's a good thing.

Complaints about a product sometimes gives the product a reason to improve.

Of course there will always be the people who are never satisfied and will complain about anything no matter what or how good it is.

WHEW!!