First impressions of my new 300mw Hercules w/pics&video

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the new ones not yet posted on thier site "the 2.5W diode" unit and this laser is rated at 300mw, but with the extra battery power and large diode, it manages a peak that stays over 400mw for a full 5 minutes and then finally settles to a sustained 321mw for as long as you have it on.
That means until your batterys run out or forever "if you have an external powersupply feeding it through its extra input jack."

There is a very tiny "hidden" fan that you can barely hear that keeps the unit cool. Should you be in a very hot environment or should you turn it all the way up with its adjustable power pod thats mounted on the exterior, there is an overheat light that will come on.
Laserglow automatically tunes it for stable max power that can run continuous without failing to meet commercial needs.

I'm almost speechless after firing it up... I am really at a loss for words to adequately describe my feelings, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

After going out to dinner and giving it some thought, I have come to this conclusion and here are my catagories......
1. As cool as pen lasers are for thier portability, good looks, and ease of use, I can only compare them to a small deringer pistol. Attractive, small enough to kill if your lucky or at close range, also small enough to **** some bad guy off and you may never take them out before they get you.
An excellent size for "target practice" without attracting too much attention and costing too much ammo.
Carrying one of these makes you feel mischeivous and dangerous.

2. Second are the middle size units.. the envee "Colt 45" "powered by two AA's" and the Aries "44magnum" "powered by two C cells"..... also attractive, but must be holstered as they are too big to carry in your pocket comfortably. Able to be intimidating, but is not going to scare away a crowd unless you really mean it.
Able to use casually if in the right environment without attracting law enforcement, but too big to use in safeway!!!!
Carrying one of these makes you feel like Clint Eastwood.

3. Ah yes.. and then there are the big boys..... Among of which is the Hercules. Attractive is not a good word "although it is" a better word may be "intimidating" or "built for battle".
This big boy is powered by Three D Cell batteries and I recon it to more like an 454 Elephant Gun. This sucker if made for long distance with an impact. When you hold it, it gives you an eery sense of awe and power without it even turned on!... the larger ribbed front reminds you of a silencer on a snipers gun.
If it were to be pointed at a crowd, "without it on", I"m sure the whole bunch would hit the deck for fear it may go off.
When you turn it on, you are in awe of its beam and power.... it really messes with your head and makes it hard to have fun with pistols and such after playing with this big boy.. the others are never the same as they were once you feel the power of one of these. As wonderful as the Aries is, as I have played with the 175mw and its quite amazing for its size "no kidding", but the double power and double size of the Herc just does something crazy to your hormones... a sudden rush of testosterone seems to take over!!!
This thing cuts like a torch where some of the lesser lasers only poke holes.
Carrying one of these bad boys makes you feel like the Governor of California with his plasma firing gun as noted in terminator III "I believe it is!"

Last edited:

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Re: My first impressions of my new 300mw Hercules

WindS --

You Da Man !! Be Careful with it and have fun. By the way, its not a 454 elephant gun but a 458 Win Magnum !! I also have a 50 BMG Rifle !!!

They have more recoil than a laser though :)

Mike

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hemlock Mike said:
WindS --

You Da Man !! Be Careful with it and have fun. By the way, its not a 454 elephant gun but a 458 Win Magnum !! I also have a 50 BMG Rifle !!!

They have more recoil than a laser though :)

Mike
ah maybe I got my calibers off... I shot one once.. I was careful to put my right foot stretched out behind me so as to not fall on my bonky.. instead it picked me up off the ground and simply replanted my about 5 feet behind... Of course I only weighed 140lbs back then!.....

Playing with lasers is more than the actual wattage etc of what they do.. how they make you "feel" is the other half.. similiar to a fine sportscar.

In order to actual point it precisely, I feel like I have to hold it with two hands... its quite a bazooka!
I almost expect it to "kick" when it fires! LOL!

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

Hey, congrats Windy! I keep toying with the idea of getting one of these big boys but haven't made the leap yet. Almost a full half-Watt 532. Must be a site to see!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

BVH said:
Hey, congrats Windy! I keep toying with the idea of getting one of these big boys but haven't made the leap yet. Almost a full half-Watt 532. Must be a site to see!

Its quite a sweet little "or big" toy!

I couldn't leap for that much power 532mw?... mine does go 100 less than that for 5 min, so for all practicle purposes.. I have a 400mw laser since I will never have it on for that long anyways!.. some of the perks for having that 2.5W diode!

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened

I wish I had that kind of cash kicking around for a "toy" like that! (I'm talking toy like a Corvette is a toy...)

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

BVH said:
Windy, I meant 532 as in 532 NanoMeters on the wavelength color scale.

opps sorry.. I guess I should have know that.. I don't really mess around with any of the others so I don't kick those numbers around any.

Aseras

Enlightened

and umm exactly where are your pictures? :)

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened

If somebody tried to mug you, and you took this out, can you describe what you think their reaction would be?
I only ask, because I do photograph as a hobby, and shoot downtown a lot, and I have always had bums come up to me and think about yanking my stuff from me. Luckily I've had no problems yet, but it'd be too funny to see their reaction when they see a green beam. This will instantly burn the skin though, right? I think the envee don't burn right away?

Johnawesley

Newly Enlightened

Best to try to avoid the bums altogether and forget about using it as a weapon as that is NOT it's intention. You may end up getting shot, and it won't be a Laser.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

JaGWiRE said:
If somebody tried to mug you, and you took this out, can you describe what you think their reaction would be?
I only ask, because I do photograph as a hobby, and shoot downtown a lot, and I have always had bums come up to me and think about yanking my stuff from me. Luckily I've had no problems yet, but it'd be too funny to see their reaction when they see a green beam. This will instantly burn the skin though, right? I think the envee don't burn right away?

This is exactly the kind of post why we at CPF see it necessary to restrict certain topics and pictures in the laser forum and thus protect CPF itself and others.

Aseras

Enlightened

JaGWiRE said:

you'd be better off using it as a club... and at that point you outta carry a $35 maglite and not a $2000 laser.

Madz

Enlightened

JaGWiRE said:

It should burn you pretty quick lol. I am pretty sure you would feel stinging almost immediatly with 400mW.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aseras said:
you'd be better off using it as a club... and at that point you outta carry a $35 maglite and not a $2000 laser.

It doesn't cost 2K anymore... in fact a little over half....
Since there is "no" laser that has this impact that has a smaller size.... this puts them them all in their place as far as power and performance....

Although it could definately be used as a club.... I don't think that woud be a wise use of a laser.... they are still a fragile piece of equipment rather than a bat.

If you can find this performance in a smaller package... let me know....

the Aries does a killer job for its size and price.. but still not a Herc.

Here are a few pics.. these are without smoke, fog or any aids... inside shots with daylight coming through the windows.

I'll add video later.. still trying to figure how to convert avi to wmv for size sake.... window movie maker seems to crash.....

Here is a pic of the Herc 300mw next to the 130mw Pen laser..
Hercules300mwvs130mwpen.jpg

Here is a simple pic of the "club" I posted it because I haven't seen any being held.. this really lets you know just how big it really is!
Herculesheldinhand.jpg

The key likes to fall out is not careful "when turned off".. so here is a simple solution to not lose it.
Keytiedtodongle.jpg

Ragnarok

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the pics! Especially the one showing you holding it, gives a good idea of actual size.

Love the fact the beam shows up so well without smoke. :drool: Woohoo, that thing is bright! (Where's your goggles? :twak: )

Did you get an output power chart with your Hercules, and if you did and it's possible, can we see it?

Last edited: