Gladius CREE-ation in progress

TechPro

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm reposting here to keep you all up to date on my gladius to cree mod.

XR-E bin Q2s are on order, and I just learned something interesting... the gladius drives its LED @ 975mA!!!! We should be looking at about 170 lumens on high

I'll be posting pics here when I get the new CREEs on the mod step by step

UPDATE www.cutter.com.au is not the cheapest site but they are a one stop shopping center!!

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in as one of those interested!
I would like to see how the reflector issue is dealt with...
With a Cree upgrade, the Gladius will be even better!!

Draper Knives

Newly Enlightened
Standing by... I've got an Insight Technology H2X Typhoon, that appears to be the same light. I managed to get the head unscrewed on it. It looks to be an easy upgrade. I'm curious what will work better, the Cree or Seoul P4...

Mike

wquiles

Flashaholic
Draper Knives said:
I'm curious what will work better, the Cree or Seoul P4...
The Seoul has a more Luxeon-like beam pattern, but the Seoul has a positive contact on the emiter. Nothing is for free :)

Will

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seoul positive slug issue is IMHO not terribly hard to overcome, and it ought to work nicely with the Gladius reflector.

The Cree will be really nice but I'm wondering what sort of reflector you'll use? Needs to be deeper than the stock reflector to give you a nice throw pattern. What'cha gonna put in there? :naughty:

Draper Knives

Newly Enlightened
milkyspit, I'm new to the flashlight addiction :grin2: The addiction appears to have no known cure...might as well jump in :huh:

I've been following the different threads and from what I understand, the Seoul would be a better mod because of the shallow reflector. I think I can fab something to manage the pos slug issue. This will be my first mod and there is a good chance it will kick my butt :touche:Stay tuned...:popcorn:

Mike

TechPro

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting for the XR-Es to arrive, I'm not sure exactly what to use for a reflector...I have 3 lenses and a holder coming with the CREEs. I'll try them first and go from there.
If my theory is correct I believe I can use a smaller diameter reflector of stock length, which should do the same thing as a longer reflector of stock diameter. The reason for this is, of course, to avoid fabricating a new, longer head to house the longer reflector.
The CREE beamshot is w/ the XR not the XR-E
drive current on high:

drivecurrenthigh.jpg

stock beam:

Gladiusstockresized.jpg

CREE donut w/stock reflector:

creebeamstock.jpg

Gladiusdriver.jpg

stockled.jpg

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate how the Cree emitter doesn't have leads sticking out and uses strips that are so close to the dome that it interferes with 'cupping' the reflector nicely over the dome when I have my wires soldered to the strips.

I guess the star should be better for that, and apparently the Seoul P4 might be an even better choice! I wonder if the Seoul would be a direct replacement.. I think I might need to order one and try it out with the Gladius reflector......

Last edited:

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
hello,
is the cool gladius low level with luxeon always low level with the cree ?
because i love the 0.8 lumens of my gladius.

Latest posts