Suggestions for chest-strappable light? [Example: Innova 24/7]

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
Hi there folks

First of all, new to the forums posting but long, long time lurker. I finally decided to make an account and start sharing some conversation with fellow flash-light aholics. You guys are really on the ball with lights that's for sure, even to the point of sheer fanaticism.
grinser2.gif

In any case, I thought I would ask a strange question that I've had for quite some time. It's never been a big issue until recently, so I thought I might just throw it out there in the wind to see what picks up.

I've always been looking for a very portable or comfortable chest strappable light. There are lot of lights that hang on a lanyard, which is just fine, but sometimes those can be flaky in situations where you need to kneel or bend over something or just move around in jerky motions in general.

Next up would be headlamps (Which I own like 3), which although are really, really useful... sometimes I need to use a light that isn't strapped to my head.

Ideally, a light that is attachable to a shirt or at least upper-torso would be ideal. So far, the only light that I've seen readily available would be the Innova 24/7 multi-task light. It has a clip and is very small, and it's easily strappable to clothing, if not ghetto style by some two sided tape. So far I've been improvising by using my headlamp light's large headband and mounting it over my shoulder. I even made a "Predator" like mount on my shoulder which, although cool looking at first, eventually just falls off or bobbles so much when I walk it's kinda worthless.

So that's my conundrum, take it for what you will. I hope to get some suggestions if possible, and try to avoid the reason why I'm looking for a "chest strappable" light. Sure it sounds kinda not useful to have a chest strappable light, but it's also not sensible to own more than a couple of flashlights in the house, and I know all of us here are guilty as charged in that respect.
smile.gif

Thanks for reading even if you don't have an answer. I appreciate it and all feedback.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! Glad you took the time to register and join in the fun.
For the type of light you are looking for I would recommend a new light I just purchased, the Petzl e-lite. Like the Innova it is a headlight but it also has a clip which can be attached to clothing or cap brims. It has a ball joint which allows it to be swiveled into almost any angle which would work perfectly when chest mounted. You could also use the head strap grooves to fashion a harness to wear around your chest if desired.
The light has 3 white leds with two levels and a strobe and 1 red led with one level and a strobe. Here is a link to a thread with some pictures of the light and plenty of feedback on its usefulness.
Good luck with your search!

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, thanks for the responses so far. It's really appreciated.

Grubbster: It looks like a pretty good light, pretty similar to the Innova 24/7 in terms of function and might be a bit lighter in weight. I know from the thread it isn't that bright, but that's ok as long as it produces enough flood to see in front of you. The only problem is I can't see any shots of the clip they have on the back. The Innova's Clip is pretty sturdy when I saw it up close at a store, a solid pen like metal that's kinda thick. I only ask this is because clips wear out pretty fast if they're not so heavily made. If the clip is plastic, I might have to think it over. Other than that, the CR2032 batteries don't sound too bad.

glockboy: Thanks for the suggestion, that light has little details on the page you linked me however. It looks like a C or D cell light? I know that light is going to produce probably a lot of throw, and I'm looking for a more even flood, so not sure of it. Also, can you say what is the weight of the light if you own it? This looks heavy if it's D-cell powered, so I would have to use it as a side-mount instead of a chest mount.

Keep it coming guys, thanks again!

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I have a Streamlight Survivor LED clipped to the chest of my bunker jacket and fire calls/accidents at night. It works great, but it is probably more throw than you want (although the spill is good too).

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the streamlight survivor. The LED version and the Incan version are both awesome. I would highly reccomend the rechargeable version of either.
Dave

luigi

Enlightened
Take a look at the Petzl Tactikka Adapt headlamp, the lamp can be removed from the headband and it comes with a clip that can be attached to a strap, it comes with a sliding filter and 2 brightness levels plus boost and blinking. It uses just 3AAA batteries and has a battery indicator LED.

My mini-review is here: http://edcreviews.blogspot.com/2006/11/notesaf-tablet-holder.html

Luigi

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
Hey again guys

Gnufish & Firefighter05: Thanks for that suggestion guys. I did some digging around and it definitely seems like a well rounded flashlight. I'm assuming it's rated for low smoke or fog penetration right? How's the clip they advertise that's "Better than metal" clips since I've always used metal clips for any sort of hat/chest/shoulder/belt.

Luigi: That's a really nice light, I really mean it. The way the attachments work make it highly versatile, considering they took into account it's not primarily a headlamp. Seems that's another vote for Petzl, with the E+lite mentioned earlier. I think the E+lite is really portable while the Tactikka gives you more power. So it's a toss up between the two, but both look great.

Awesome so far, don't let me stop the gravy train. Keep em coming if you can, as always highly appreciated.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Survivor LED is nice. If you want flood with no throw, you can open it up and remove the reflector.

You can also try a Minimag with a Nite-Ize 3LED kit (with tailswitch), and get a Nite-Ize Flashlite Friend for it. It's a great combination. You can hook it over your shirt collar and prop it up against your chest, among other possibilities. Plus, it's really cheap.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
AlgaeEater, I have the same interest in non-headlight, hands-free options. Here are a couple of my favorite solutions. By the way, I also have a very strong preference for multiple light levels!

1. Inova 24/7, but not with the neck lanyard which keeps it aimed in one direction, generally too high, and sometimes yet higher with bulky clothing. Clipped to the belt presents some of the same issues. But if you get the "kit" that includes the elastic headband with tilting clip, you can modify it. If you just hang it by that strap around your neck, it will point at your feet - no good. However, the mount was designed to tilt the light downward, and you can (a) simply reverse it and slip the clip through the groove in the other direction, then (b) swing the mount 180 degrees outward so the suspension point is now near the top of the light - it now points just slightly down from vertical and can be adjusted downward to your momentary needs. To retain the clip securely in that trough, Inova provides a groove that locks into the bump on the metal clip - you can cut a comparable one on the other end of the plastic trough with a knife, and then not have to worry about it falling out.

2. Princeton Tec Quad headlamp (3 brightness levels, none quite low enough for reading unfortunately). Get a 3/4" webbing strap with plastic clip buckle, about 24" long, and then remove the head strap from the vertical slots on the back. You will notice two horizontal slots on the back mount; thread the webbing through the top slot from the side closest to the light, around the back into the lower slot and opward next to the light. It will make a neat "vee" as on a webbing lanyard. This can be clipped around the neck and length adjusted for clothing bulk, etc. Doesn't interfere with tilting the beam downward.

I use the 24/7 for closer work or when I want red light for night vision (the red beam is wide and very good) or when using other lights with CR123 batteries, for interchangeability. It is a very versatile light.

I use the Quad when I want more light, as for running or walking dogs in the woods at night. A more spot-type light, such as the PT Eos, is not very satisfactory carried this way, IMO - much better aimed as a headlamp. I have occasionally used the Quad around my neck and the Eos on the head at the same time, switching the latter on infrequently, and this combo seems to beat out my Apex headlamp for practicality. In all events, best of luck to you!

- Bill

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlgaeEater said:
I've always been looking for a very portable or comfortable chest strappable light...Thanks for reading even if you don't have an answer. I appreciate it and all feedback.

Hey AlgaeEater, the best solution I've found for a chest light or belt light is the UK 4AA Unilite series.

Available in incandescent and LED models, they have a 90-degree-angle swivel neck for directing the beam.

Besides being good for attachment to clothing, the swivel neck allows you to set the light down on a surface, then direct the beam to perfectly illuminate a work area.

If desired, the angle neck is easily removable, which converts the lights to a more compact form suitable for back pocket carry.

Their bodies are compact and flat so they fit easily into the breast pocket of a shirt. A wide, flat polymer clip securely attaches the light body to the fabric of a shirt pocket, pack strap, or waist belt. The clip can be snapped free of the light's body if removal is desired. The clip is strong, but replacements are available if you should break it.

These lights are extremely tough, drop-tested, safety-rated, and waterproof. They are, IMHO, the best general utility lights available.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
AlgaeEater said:
Hey again guys

Gnufish & Firefighter05: Thanks for that suggestion guys. I did some digging around and it definitely seems like a well rounded flashlight. I'm assuming it's rated for low smoke or fog penetration right? How's the clip they advertise that's "Better than metal" clips since I've always used metal clips for any sort of hat/chest/shoulder/belt.
The clip seems pretty sturdy, and it clips just fine to my bunker jacket. THe beam does an excellent job of penetrating smoke (my hotspot seemed as bright ad a SL lightbox hotspot, but a little smaller).

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
FireFighter05 said:
+1 for the streamlight survivor. The LED version and the Incan version are both awesome. I would highly reccomend the rechargeable version of either.
Dave

It's a good tough light. You want to look for something like this.
Note that it has a flat back and does not roll around nearly as much as a round light will.
We hang our lights and have a velcp strap that also holds them in place.
However if we are crawling the strap comes off and lets it drop down so teh beam is still where we are looking.

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
Hey again guys

Thanks for all the replies so far, don't think they don't go un-appreciated. I just wanted to get more suggestions in and analysis before replying since everyone had some great suggestions and I didn't want to stop the thread while it was going.

Here is a list of all the suggested lights in this thread so far for future reference just in case anyone has the same question:

--------------------------

Elektro Lumens Anglelux-XRE with Cree
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Modified+Flashlights

FoxFury Scout Series
http://www.foxfury.com/products/scout_series/index.htm

Innova 24/7
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/inova_24-7_led_light_with_accessory_set.htm

Petzl E+lite
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=607

Petzl TACTIKKA® XP ADAPT
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=562&Critere=0

Princeton Tec Quad headlamp
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_Quad_LED_Headlamp.php

Streamlight Survivor Led
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=88

Streamlight Clilp Mate
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=59

SUREFIRE HL1-A-Tn HELMET LIGHT + Clip
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/surefire_hl1-a-tn.htm