Surefire L4 lumens?

marsupial

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the L4 promoted as having 100 lumens and on another suite it's advertised as 65....anybody shed any lumens on this?

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 100, as I've never seen it listed at 65. However, I believe the L5 will get a boost in the new SureFire linup, while the L4 won't. Might be worth concidering the L5 instead, if I'm right that is.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too, just last week recieved my L5 and absolutely love it. It's smaller than I thought it'd be. Very Bright!

carrot

Flashaholic
In the 2005 Surefire Illumination catalog, the L4 is listed at 65 lumens. In the 2006 catalog it is now listed as 100 lumens. The L5 is larger and will be receiving an LED upgrade this year. It is roughly the same size as the 6P, but the grip ring makes it difficult if not impossible to reuse the same holsters, unless you have one of Surefire's speed holsters. The L4 on the other hand, is much slimmer than the 6P but still a durable light.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like carrot said the 2005 surefire catalog lists both the L4 and the L5 with 65 lumens, the E2D with 60 lumens. The 2006 catalog lists the L4 as well as the L5 with 100 lumens and the E2D still with 60 lumens. There is a big difference when I compare the lightoutput of my L5 to my E2D. 100 lumens should be ok while the previous 65 lumens were underestimated.

Eric

Last edited:

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
As a proud owner of an L4 for years now, I can atest to a lumen rating closer to 100 than the old listing of 65....It is far brighter than other lights listed at 65. The L4 is still one of my all time favorite lights

VWTim

Enlightened
My understanding is it's a combination of SF getting better binned Lux5's and they reevaluated their method of testing light outputs for the LED's. I also wouldn't agree with the blanket statement of getting an L5 over an L4, sometimes size matters for EDC pocket carry. I was all set on an L4, until these Cree/Seuol LED's came out.

Lexus

Enlightened
It totally depends on the specific bin of the LED. I have a W-bin L4 and it cranks out at least 150 lumens.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on informal testing, my L4 puts out roughly the same amount of total light as my Surefire U2. Keep in mind the distribution of that light is very different between the two.

I also have an HDS Ultimate 60. It puts out roughly two thirds as much overall light as either my L4 or my U2. If you believe the HDS is truly rated for 60 lumens, then both my L4 and my U2 are putting out roughly 100.

lightrod

Enlightened
I measure 110 lumens on my L4 - determined at the output level after two minutes on a fresh cell (output stays relatively stable).

The same KL4 head on a single cell E1L body with an RCR123 starts out - with a fresh cell - at the same output as the 2 cell setup but drops to 100 lumens in two minutes (and then continues to drop steadily).