Ok--I want the good, bad, and ugly (Comments on my website)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok folks, I need people, lots of people, to check out my School Website and tell me what you like and hate. We actually got a long lecture today and my website is one of the favorites (among the teachers) and so my Math teacher is showing it to the whole class Wednesday--not that big a deal since anybody can go look at it anyway but I thought maybe I could recruit all of you to help me fix anything wrong with it ahead of time...

So tell me what you like, hate, want changed, etc. Broken links MUST be reported, broken images must not be (I deleted my images folder awhile back and I'm still recovering)

I'll warn you now, it's not geared towards dial-up users. For broadband it's not that bad but the 3 images that my home page is made of add up to about 500k
shocked.gif

After I've got comments from you all I'll post the address to look at my peers' sites--then you'll see why mine is so popular...among other thigns, it actually works
rolleyes.gif

Here's the Link
You'll have to log on, so here's a generic log-on:
Username: pirate
PW: Cyprus

Thanks everyone!

BTY: An all-about me section is coming, complete with lots of flashlight stuff
wink.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
All the links I checked (think I checked them all) worked. Is "CRAP" an acronym or merely the "Project Title"? You mention the 4 elements of "CRAP" and naturally I "assumed" that "CRAP" having 4 letters was associated with those 4 elements???

Nice background/colors, easy to view...(didn't like "Joe's" page...too plain...). I like the use of "graphic links" not merely "underlined words".

Is there a "logout" function? I didn't see one, therefore "am I still logged on"?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Don't worry about logging out--I don't know why you have to log in (Well I do, that's the way it's set up...I don't know why) but you do. You're not really logging in though, meerly "Identifying" yourself.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I need the same thing...comments on my website, how it looks on different browsers and resolutions. Can somebody tell me how (preferably with dreamweaver) to set the width as a percentage of the screen? I can figure out how to change the width in pixels of the left frame, but I can't figure out how to set it as a percentage, so if you are less than 800X600 it doesn't look good, and it scrolls a little bit with 800X600.

www.umr.edu/~cdcb74/web.html

Saaby

Flashaholic
Tater--I have your site open in another tab (Gotta love Netscape) I'll just comment as I go.

-Size is ok even on my puny screen. It doesn't scroll enough to worry about and I can just resize the frame.
-Red on Green! Ack! I have a color blind friend--he would never even realize there was text there.
-I like it. Needs more content but I'm sure you're working on that
tongue.gif
my site needs more content too...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
looks nice...both of you!

ryan...what can you do in autocad and what version are you using? i just got acad 2002 and a book for it a week ago and i am going to start learning it on my own
rolleyes.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Rocket. Everything looks OK on both my monitors one is 800x600 and the other is 1280x960. In the 800x600 the pictures on the "home" frame makes it want to horizontal scroll a bit. Also, you might want to make the visited link colors stand out a little more. I'm a bit colorblind and they just about disappear to me.

Saaby, I still can't access your page.

Hey while we are reviewing web pages any problems with mine?
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Tree-I immagine that it's security settings on your browser. Your site seems to be working fine, by the way, and I happen to enjoy your site...a link vortex it is.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have the security settings very high. Some of the sites I "happen upon" are questionable. You should see the sites that I don't put on my page!!!

Tater
icon14.gif

Kirk

Enlightened
Saaby,
Nice site. My only concern is the spelling and grammar errors. Since this is for school, I believe your spelling and grammar should be top-notch. Show us taxpayers that the money spent for education really works! For example- your "PDA" appears to have "fresh" spelled "fesh". You left out the "e" in "unfortunately" on your 12-13-2002 update. "Broke" should be "broken". Spelling and grammar are pet peeves of mine. So many folks use the wrong word. Examples:

loose= not tight
lose= get rid of

it's= it is
its= possessive

to= towards
too= also or excessive
two= 2

You get the idea. I'm not an old fart with nothing better to do than nit-pick, but my work has all sorts of mailers printed up and spelling errors cost money when you have to re-do them so you don't look dumb. I get to be the designated proofreader in my spare time. You have a good, interesting site. Just review the pages and correct the obvious errors. Take your time; it's worth it in the long run.
Sincerely,
Kirk

Saaby

Flashaholic
Thanks Kirk--I try to spell check everything but Dreamweaver doesn't put those annoying red lines under everything like Word and (now) my eMail client. My posts on CPF would have better spelling in them as well if spelling errors were instantly pointed out
wink.gif

I had noticed the "fesh" thing myself :thwack: today when I got home. Unfortunatly, however, as far as I know I can not update the site from home (Going to check with teacher tomorrow) I will scrutenize (Did I spell that right?) the site tomorrow for sure!

Thanks everyone
icon14.gif
once again CPF is the best!
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
OK I fixd the spelling error on the home page--it was actually a fault of the type set...but I should have proofread it.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Can't view, but it's somewhat intentional. Your school is apparently making up their own security certificates, so my browser just goes "nope!".

If the school wants the general public to access the site, they should either use a standard cert, or not use secure pages. The danger isn't just the content of the site, it's the security of that issuer. Understandable if it's only designed for student/faculty/staff, though.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Thanks you guys, I'll mention to the tech teacher/system admin these things--there are district things (Out of his control) and then school things so hopefully it'll be something he can fix
wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think the server the pages are on went down about 3 or 4 PM yesterday because now I can't get in, from 2 separate computers that used to be able to get in fine!
icon3.gif
if only they'd ditch the Microsoft servers and switch to something...oh, I donno, Unix based :penguin: