ONLY VIEW IF YOU HAVE A STRONG STOMACH!!!

gtdistributorsaustin

Newly Enlightened
This is really nasty.

fcbd77a2.jpg

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I get the link... I am in the medical profession and would like details...

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's spooky got the exact same picture in an email from a friend this morning, had a story attached about the patient going to the doctor complaining of an itchy/soar eye.

This is the text that accompanied the email:

This poor guy was minding his own business & he felt an eye irritation.
Thinking that it was just regular dust, he started to rub his eye, in an
effort to remove the dust. Then his eyes got really red, so he bought
some eye drops from the pharmacy.
A few days passed and his eyes were still red and seemed a little
swollen. Again he dismissed it as dust & continuedr ubbing, hoping
it would go away.
As the days went by, the swelling of his eye got worse & the redness
increased until he decided to go and see a doctor for ac heck up.
The doctor immediately wanted an operation, being afraid of a tumor
growth or cyst. At the operation, what was thought to be a growth or
cyst, actually turned out to be a ......................

Oh well time for my dinner
icon15.gif
puke.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can`t believe I just looked at that. I`m just about to go have my dinner. I`m a fool. Now, excuse me....

icon15.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn quickbeam, you beat me to it
wink.gif
I couldn't reach the Urban Legends site from here today for some reason and was having to search through the google cache pages to find it
wink.gif
If anyone else is having similar problems the cache is at:

google cache of Urban Legend

And here is the text:

Bizarre as it may seem, the preceding photos are authentic, though the same cannot be said of the accompanying narrative, which is a fabrication.

We don't know who assembled the collage, but after a painstaking search we did find the original source of the images: an article entitled "Anterior Orbital Myiasis Caused by Human Botfly," published in the July 2000 number of the Archives of Ophthalmology, a journal of the American Medical Association (see Index of Figures for individual photos).

"Myiasis" is the medical term for a maggot (fly larva) infestation of a living body. In this case, the patient was a 5-year-old boy treated by U.S. Air Force surgeons in a rural area of the Republic of Honduras. "The respiratory pore of a late-stage larva of the human botfly (Dermatobia hominis) was located in the anterior orbit," says the article abstract. "The larva was gently removed under general anesthesia through a small incision in the conjunctiva."  The patient was apparently none the worse for wear.

It would appear the text of this article was not consulted when the email tale was composed. Neither "bad dust" nor excessive eye rubbing were cited as causes of the infestation in the actual 5-year-old patient. According to the physicians, the human botfly lays its eggs on the torsos of other insects (such as mosquitoes), which then transfer the eggs to human or animal hosts by direct contact. When a botfly egg hatches, the larva burrows into the host's skin head-first and begins feeding.

The human botfly is found mainly in Central and South America, but there are other species of flies known to cause myiasis in North America, mainly blowflies. According to an epidemiological study conducted in 2000, most cases of myiasis acquired in the United States are the result of blowflies laying eggs in pre-existing wounds.

None of which is quite as frightening as the thought that any of us could become similarly infected simply by rubbing dust into our own eyes, but, in the inimitable words of folklorist Jan Harold Brunvand, "The truth never stands in the way of a good story."

Last updated: 12/05/02

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I didn't say the story was true, just that it came with the email
wink.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...yes and the botfly larva has a charming habit of poking a probe up through the skin to the surface to breathe a little every now and then -- just like a miniature version of "Alien" -- sometimes I think the botfly is where they got the idea for Sigourney's bigger "Alien" version...
shocked.gif
bluedead.gif

tongue.gif

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
These series of photos probably would have grossed me out, if I hadn't had a serious interest in parasitology a couple years ago. I've seen plenty of photos of botfly larvae removal, and a few things that were much worse. But I shant tell about them here, because I don't want anyone to faint.
wink.gif

James

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Makes me afraid to go to North America - and I'm living in the country with 17 of the world's 20 most venomous snakes, spiders, other icky insects, etc.

2dogs

Enlightened
The pics remind me of a monster film I saw many years ago where a live elephants trunk was sliced open and out poured several handfulls of worms. A good friend of mine's horse had a 6.5lb enterolith removed from him a few months ago. Cost my friend $5K.
BTW in 1990 I contracted giardiasis, took me about 18 months to get over it . I hope nothing like this was in my guts. The doctor in the pic could probably send the larva to Karen Hood for her dinner.

Tombeis

Enlightened
There is a section in the US Army Survival manual on how to treat wounds in the wilderness.

One treatment for an infected wound is to allow flys to lay eggs in the wound. Maggots develope from the fly eggs. The maggots are allowd to eat the infected flesh until it is eliminated. The maggots are then removed and the wound is allowed to heal.

Doesn't seem like as much fun as threating the wound with a topical antibiotic.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Tombeis:
...snip... The maggots are allowd to eat the infected flesh until it is eliminated. The maggots are then removed and the wound is allowed to heal.

Doesn't seem like as much fun as threating the wound with a topical antibiotic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's actually used (from what I understand) in some hospitals for certain things - the topical antibiotic will kill bacteria - what they are using the maggots for is to eat the DEAD flesh in the wound - aka, the stuff that would have to be surgically removed. The advantage of the maggots (which are rasied "clean" as to NOT infect the wound) is that they ONLY eat the dead flesh, and do NOT eat any of the live - they will eat all the dead

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leeches don't eat dead flesh, they suck fresh blood. Doctors use the leeches to bring blood to an area that was damaged or re-attached during surgery.

The leeches keep the blood flowing thru the damaged or re-attached area keeping it alive, allowing it to heal. It could takes months of leech therapy to properly restore the blood flow in some damaged area of a patient.

I saw it on TV so it must be true
icon15.gif