Help! Car Audio advice needed

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my clarion crapped out this morning, i think the 19deg cold had something to do with it. and maybe cause it was over a 1.5yrs old.

i'm going tomorrow to a place where they specialize in car audio. prices sounded good and the guy was nice and helpful on the phone.

i'd like to look around before i buy. what are some sites with good prices so i can compare and decide if i want to let them install it or i can whack at it.

what brand(s) should i avoid?

comments/suggestions welcome.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Josh:
I just got a sony Xplod for my B-day, and i'm very happy with it! good luck with your quest!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I thought Sony Xplod was just a subwoofer speaker, not a whole stereo system.
icon15.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif
icon15.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
sonly xplos has receivers and speakers.

well, i'm off this morning to plunk down some cash. not too many folks here are car audio enthusiast i guess.
icon3.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i fixed it!
grin.gif
i vaguely remembered small pin holes on the receiver itself and the back of the faceplate. i thought i recalled it being some kind of reset or breaker. i gently poked a pen in each hole and voila! it works!
icon14.gif

saved myself atleast $140 for a replacement. i have to admit i'm a little disappointed i didn't get a sweet new pioneer.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
my clarion crapped out this morning, i think the 19deg cold had something to do with it. and maybe cause it was over a 1.5yrs old.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that sometimes happens if you have a weak battery.
the starter pulls the voltage below what is needed to maintain static ram contents.
causes it to get corrupted and need a reset.
you might need a battery soon!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's funny you say that cause i've been thinking my truck has been dragging a little at startup in the morning. my truck is almost two years old.

pal251

Newly Enlightened
I wouldnt get a sony anything anyways. Get a clarion head unit