Mag with Seoul: Terralux + U-Bin SSC-P4

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also included is FiveMega's HS reflectors and 4Sevens' mineral glass lens.

For now, pictures only. I have to get back to finish a L1T... :)

Enjoy!

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

SuperTorch

Enlightened
What size Mags are they in? the direct drive unit should be vey bright on even a 2D Mag. The hot spot looks very nice, so with a regular stock reflector it was to ringy?, kinda shocked a little that you used a HS reflector and still have some rings, none of that looks bad though. Let us know how the throw is, get a pic up with a stock reflector no matter how bad you think it looks. How bright is the MaxStar5 regulated compared to the DD drop in? Good job let us know how white/bluish they are, and how much more light you preceive from them compared to the Luxeons they replaced. In other words are you thrilled or is it just a nice upgrade. Thanks for the pics and the post as this is the very set up that will hit the retail market with in 3 months or so, good job.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll get answers and new pictures over the weekend. I have software training for a few days and will be far away from my flashlights :(

The black is a 3D Mag with the stock 0.47 ohm resistor in the TLE-DB2 PR-2 base.

The red is a 4D Mag with the stock regulated driver circuitry in the TLE-6K2 base.

The Cree emitter was an uncontrollable ringy mess compared to this SSC emitter. I can live with one ring.

I don't know where it's coming from, perhaps it's because I had to bore a bigger hole in the HS reflector for the TerralLUX bodies. It could also be created by the TerraLUX mounting face blocking some light to the back of the reflector, and then reflecting some directly to the side.

If you look at the picture of the assembled head, I have the emitters in the focused position on the cam.

Last edited:

chanamasala

Enlightened
How about a quick few words about it.

Impressed? Amazed? Just alright?

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting about twice the light as the stock emitter of these drop-ins, the same focusability, and less heat. Of course, I'm impressed!

These were the easiest mods because you don't have to lift the emitter higher, and because the aluminum bases are anodized, you don't have to worry about the emitter anode shorting to (-). This is why I did them first.

I used Arctic Silver, which cures nice and fast.

I took the flashlight outside, and I can light up a house the same distance with the HS reflector and SSC as I did with the stock smooth reflector and the stock drop-in emitter. But there is much more flood because of the reflector texture. I'm happy I have both throw and spill. Turning it on outdoors has the feeling of turning on vehicle headlights.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Sounds very nice, the ring is puzzling because the housing of the TerraLux's doesn't block a luxeon like that but maybe thats what going on, I agree though that 1 ring like that is almost a non-issue. If I don't hear of someone working on Cree and Seoul Mag drop-ins soon then I'll mod my MaxStar5.

EngrPaul, do you own a Taskforce 3W or a AAP3W if so could you unscrew the lens on those and by hand try to hold it in place on one of these emitters, I'd like to know how that lens throws with the Seoul P4. Thanks.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
MattK should ride TerraLux hard about quickly coming out with the Seoul P4 Mag drop-in. Since it's less heat they could go back to their original settings for the MaxStar5 or up to 750mA-1000mA and just swap out this emmiter that would have to be so easy for them and right off the batt they would have to very best Mag Drop-in and for a good while to boot and could get an additional $10 out of it. I'd pay $39.95 for a Seould P4 Mag droping at 750mA+.

Last edited:

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul, nice mods. The beam definately looks usable. I have always been skeptical about the thermal transfer from their module (red and black in your photo). Do you have a photo of the module (or can tell me) to show how heat is dissipated from the LED? That is, does the module make contact with another part of the body apart from the bulb holder?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
hotbeam said:
EngrPaul, nice mods. The beam definately looks usable. I have always been skeptical about the thermal transfer from their module (red and black in your photo). Do you have a photo of the module (or can tell me) to show how heat is dissipated from the LED? That is, does the module make contact with another part of the body apart from the bulb holder?

The emitter rests on an anodized aluminum can. There is a recess inside for a standard PR-2 bulb jacket to rest against the underside of this can, epoxy holds it together. Most of the heat should go down the outside of the aluminum to the threads and also radiated into the flashlight, probably a little goes down the PR-2 base. But that's probably nickel plated steel, not much conduction really. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of this can before re-assembling it.

*Retired*
I see you frosted the reflectors pretty decent to get rid of most of the Seoul artifacts.

Have you tried heavier frosting on the reflector at all?

EngrPaul said:
I don't know where it's coming from, perhaps it's because I had to bore a bigger hole in the HS reflector for the TerralLUX bodies. It could also be created by the TerraLUX mounting face blocking some light to the back of the reflector, and then reflecting some directly to the side.

If you look at the picture of the assembled head, I have the emitters in the focused position on the cam.

The ring occurs with just the Seoul P4 in a MagLite, has nothing to do with boring or the Terralux.

Here are some side profiles in an unmodified stock Maglite reflector:
sp4mage.jpg

sp4magc.jpg

Bond wires and ring here:
sp4mag5.jpg

A further away shot:
sp4mag2.jpg

Looks like the frosted refector you utilized helped a lot with most of the minor things like bond wires and tint variations.

Great Job!

Last edited:

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I can't wait for these to come out in Star form from Seoul I'll wait for them a little while as opposed to jumping on a aftermarket star unless I knew it was made very well. I have a spring loaded collimator lens that should fit right over it, I just put a Cree XR-E in one of my lights and it had no business working at all with the lens but kinda made a decent beam even with a Luxeon 3 lens not great but better than I thought and shockingly better than a 20degree X-Lamp lens that was sent with it(which was a disaster) and with the spring load I wont have to raise it at all. I'll at least give it a try for $15 I'll probably pay for one.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
The emitter rests on an anodized aluminum can. There is a recess inside for a standard PR-2 bulb jacket to rest against the underside of this can, epoxy holds it together. Most of the heat should go down the outside of the aluminum to the threads and also radiated into the flashlight, probably a little goes down the PR-2 base. But that's probably nickel plated steel, not much conduction really. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of this can before re-assembling it.
Oh, I could have sworn the bulb stalk is plastic? The LED may sit on an anodised module and the module sits inside and outside the bulb holder but the bulb holder....

Edit. Just took apart a 2D Mag and I cannot see aluminium contact between the bulb holder and the flashlight body. The stalk is ABS plastic!

SuperTorch

Enlightened
This is the reflector he's using - HS -, I have one and am very glad I got it for a ROP mod I intend to do in about a month. If FIVE MEGA make another run I'll be buying again LOP and MOP. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185

I'm not sure about the plastic part your talking about the anodized housing which threads on to the Mag + - barrel is plastic?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Cool mod - nice job ;)

Very good hopes for the stock and aftermarket reflectors for the M*g when using the new Seoul LED :D

Will

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I've got a 2D Mag sitting here with the 4D cell LED module in it running off 2x123s' and a dummy cell. I wonder if I can get one to run on that.

daywalker

Newly Enlightened
I would like to try the TLE-6K2 in a 1D Mag loaded with 4AA`s. Was it an improvement using the SSC-P4 or is it the same.
There are some staements that that the TLE-6K2 runs better with 4 or more cells in comparison to the MagLed replacement.