what is your best "I´m glad I had a Flashlight" experience ?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is your best \"I´m glad I had a Flashlight\" experience ?

For me it´s rather funny, I always carry in my right front pocket a UKE 2AAA side by side flashlight, it´s real small, Over at work we almost never have power outages so the story is that I was in the restroom, when all the state(later found out) had the worst blackout in several years, the lights went off and every one in the restroom including myself shouted exactly what we were doing at the time (S..t!),we waited, and waited for the light to come back, zip, nada, so I just reached my light and voila! I have light, finished, washed my hands and out to work( No power,No work anyway) , not an easy task for the rest of the guys left behind in the WC, funny incident but I was glad I had the light that day !

What´s your story ?

AlexGT

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Re: what is your best \"I´m glad I had a Flashlight\" experience ?

My story is similar, I was in the main computer room at my college. The power went out and there was a collective &%#@*% from about 200+ students who lost all work since their last save. (I was lucky, I just got there). There was no windows or emergency lighting...very dark. I had my 2AA mag in my jacket. That helped me and others find the door. I would guess there was 200+ hours of work lost that day.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened

One time, on top of a mountain at at remote radio facility, lightning struck near/on my vehicle, knocking out most everything that wasn't EMP protected (the civilian hummer has two electrical systems - one military and one commercial - guess which one didn't survive!) - anyways the trip home was done by surefire 9N duct-taped to the brushguard. Took 2 battery packs to make the trip, but it really *CAN* be used as a headlight!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Interesting question, and possibly one of the reasons I have become a "flashaholic" (according to DavidW): I went up a mountain with a group of people, a trek of a couple of hours. getting to the top involved going through a large field of grass that grew well over eye level, (and past a (killer?) beehive)..the tall grass trail led to an open area...we continued on, sat on top of the mountain untill nightfall...and viola! (sic) - no moon! or stars!, pitch black blind night had descended upon us, and we could not see the narrow area of trampled grass along the long wall of tall grass from where we had emerged, and so could not find the trail back down..until I remembered the light on my keyring... Hero of the night! and we were able to avoid them bees too...
...thanks for asking.

Doug

Enlightened

A 9N for a headlight?! How fast did you drive
smile.gif
? Seems odd that the electrical system that runs the engine, does not also run the headlights... I would think they would be considered critical also... I did not know that about the electrical system! Cool! I can see it now "Opps, gotta pull over to change my 'headlights' battery"!
smile.gif

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hmmwv:
One time, on top of a mountain at at remote radio facility, lightning struck near/on my vehicle, knocking out most everything that wasn't EMP protected (the civilian hummer has two electrical systems - one military and one commercial - guess which one didn't survive!) - anyways the trip home was done by surefire 9N duct-taped to the brushguard. Took 2 battery packs to make the trip, but it really *CAN* be used as a headlight!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug

Enlightened

Key chain flashlight? Which one? I always have my Photon II (in white) with me at all times (on my key chain) ... I wonder how useful it would be in a pitch black situation, because it doesn't seem THAT bright.... but, I guess when you have ZERO light... you can illuminate a large area with one of theses guys ... actually, it does pretty good here even with all the light pollution we have ... the wonderful thing about our eye sight, is that it gets more sensitive as it gets darker ... it's like, when you wake up in the middle of the night, the dimmest light is usually sufficient to see by... Infinity's work good here (especially with that lanyard, causes the light to face right where you need it! Down!
wink.gif

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:
Interesting question, and possibly one of the reasons I have become a "flashaholic" (according to DavidW): I went up a mountain with a group of people, a trek of a couple of hours. getting to the top involved going through a large field of grass that grew well over eye level, (and past a (killer?) beehive)..the tall grass trail led to an open area...we continued on, sat on top of the mountain untill nightfall...and viola! (sic) - no moon! or stars!, pitch black blind night had descended upon us, and we could not see the narrow area of trampled grass along the long wall of tall grass from where we had emerged, and so could not find the trail back down..until I remembered the light on my keyring... Hero of the night! and we were able to avoid them bees too...
...thanks for asking.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Doug on 01-25-2001 at 09:42 PM</font>

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened

Doug - you asked the same question I did (when left in the dark) - seems the military truck gets 24V headlamps, while the civilian version gets 12V headlamps, and a different electrical system to run them. The engine, however, is left unchanged. Presumably an EMP situation would not affect the 24V lamps on the official vehicle.

After being that close to a lightning bolt, I really didn't give a hoot what or why - I just wanted to get the heck off the mountaintop. Duct tape and surefire was the FASTEST headlamp I could find!

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by hmmwv on 01-26-2001 at 01:25 AM</font>

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

My best "Gee, I'm sure glad I had a flashlight" experience occurred a few months after I started my current job. We had a power outage, and our UPSes (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) worked like a charm, and kept our computers running. Unfortunately, the computer room lights were NOT connected to a UPS. Nobody could see to type in the shutdown commands, and we had maybe 10 minutes to get this accomplished. (Whatever happened to touch typing?)

I reached into my desk drawer, pulled out my 2AA Mini-Mag knock-off, and saved my company untold amounts of money (literally). After that was finished, people kept coming by to borrow it so they could go to the bathroom.

Needless to say, our facilities guy went out the next day and bought those flashlights that plug into the wall, and come on automatically when the power dies.
smile.gif

Now that I've become an LED Flashaholic in addition to an incandescent Flashaholic, I keep a blue Sapphire light on my belt loop, a white CMG Infinity in my pants (trousers) pocket, and, lately, a Model 2 EternaLight in my shirt pocket, in addition to that Mini-Mag knock-off in my desk, a real Mini-Mag in my briefcase, and a Streamlight SL-20X in my truck.
blush.gif
Can you believe people think I'm afraid of the dark?

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened

UPSs are someting you either love or hate - one night (early morning about 0230) I was clearing all the errors that mine had logged - I run a medium size computer facility at my house and managed to burn up the utility's transformer that day, so the UPS had filled the logfile with dumb errors as the utility crew worked all day to get me restored.

I was logged into the command port of the UPS (In "GOD" mode, which allows you to do anything) - I thought I ran across the status bit that was causing the persistant beeping, so I just figured I'd clear the bit - typed in 0x06=0x00 and hit the return key. That was the last keystroke. I hit return, everything went black, which is obviously why it's called "god" mode

Suddenly, I realized that having every light, every computer, etc plugged into one big massive UPS wasn't such a great idea since I was in a 1500 sq. ft. room with no windows and it was pitch black. Had a solitare on my keychain - used that to find an old VT-220 termnal and a long extension cord to hook up to the maintenance port on the UPS and beg for it to turn the power back on.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Doug,
oh geez, I knew you'd ask, I am so embarrassed, because it was the flashlight that I now love to hate, I am loathe to mention the name (hint; too many tiny screws...) I wish it had been an Emissive Energy instead! And yes it was bright enough -- the tiniest light makes all the difference in the world when it's DARK!
hmmwv;
great story! ..and great attitude re: threat of lawsuits..remember you can always take the discussion to http://tedsplace.com and start your own topic, 'outside' so to speak...thanks again also for Metcal soldering iron info -- where to buy and how much? No price info at their site, no answer at their phone...

Craig720

Enlightened

I carry three Photon II's (white, red, and turquoise) attached to my Victorinox Executive and a PrincetonTec Blast in my trouser pockets. I have a Pelican Mini Mity-Lite on my keychain.

The most recent instance was when I used an inner access corridor without windows to visit the restroom on our floor. I didn't realize until the door closed behind me that the hall was darker than death. I simply pulled out my white Photon II and continued on my way.

That Photon also came in handy during a recent power outage when I had to visit the restroom. No problem.

The problem arises when others notice how well you're coping and ask to borrow your light. And then leave it on their desk and forget about it. Groan.

Everyone always remarks positivey when I can pull the perfect light out at any given moment for a task. For diffuse lighting situations, the Blast is king. For complete darkness, the Photon II works well.

When I have to crawl under my desk to cable-up my new computer, I use the Blast.

When I go to our community mailboxes, where there's no streetlamp in sight and it's really dark, I use either a Photon or the Blast.

The Blast is also great for checking the "trick" tire on my wife's car in the freezing darkness of a pre-sunrise work day.

I'm quite near-sighted, very nearly 40, and work as a computer programmer. My eyes are tired at the end of every day, so in questionable lighting conditions, most people can see well where I simply can't anymore. So I whip out one of my pocket lights and I'm home free.

Craig

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was eating at a Mexican restaurant, and the lights went out. I pulled out my MagLight 2 x AA cell flashlight, and continued my meal, while the waiters scrambled for candles.

Another time, a friend of mine was in San Francisco, and the lights went out in a high rise. She led a number of her colleagues down the fire stairs with the aid of a Photon II in green that I had given her.

I always have two Photon II's in white with me in my pockets. In the leather bag I carry with me everywhere, I have two SureFire 9P's, a 6P clipped to the outside of the bag, and two more Photon II's. In the car, it is three and four D cell Mag Lights, both with rechargeable batteries and the Carley Krypton Star Rechargeable lamp in the highest available amperage, and alkaline cells with the Carley Xenon Star lamps (these will last 10-12 hours; the rechargeables about 90 min). Plus a 9P in the glove box, and a 3P in the console.

Afraid of the dark
wink.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened

I use to have a PhotonI that I had electrical taped to my watch band. This proved to be handy since it was always in a convenient location and it was ALWAYS with me since I wear my watch 24/7. It kinda gave out after about a year (getting wet daily). I would like to do this again, but now I have a metal band and it really looks weird (I guess maybe it did before too). I wish there was a watch attachment with a very small LED and battery so that I can always have a light.

kb0rrg

Enlightened

I decided to drag up this post from a year ago. I was kinda fun then, and there may be new stories to add. ??? It is interesting to see how may mini mags and photons have "saved the day". No more photons and mini mags for me. Now I carry a SF (or 2) and an Arc. Well the mini mag once in a while
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kb0rrg:
Now I carry a SF (or 2) and an Arc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing taped to the watch anymore? I'm always looking for a good way to always carry a light. But I don't carry keys, don't always wear pants (
smile.gif
) and generally hate carrying things. I do always have my neck though, and that's where the Arc hangs these days.

And back on thread: EVERY DAY "I'm glad I had a flashlight." Hasn't saved my life yet, but I certainly use them every day.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I was in the Hive the other day when there was a bio-hazard leak (of the T-Virus), and when the computerized security system isolated the facility, the lights went out for a while.

Fortunately, I had my Surefire E2 with me, so I could see to shoot the zombies.

(If you have seen the new movie Resident Evil, did you notice that the security / recovery team was very poorly equipped? You would really think that they would have had a few flashlights available since they were operating in an underground facility....)

But seriously... given my own proclivities for underground expeditions and nocturnal excursions, it is difficult to come up with a "Best" experience.

My most RECENT important use was to fix a broken clutch cable in my 4WD after dark on a back road a couple of weeks ago. I keep a 6D Maglight handy in all the family's vehicles, but the dang thing was too long to fit between the ground and the frame, and shine where I needed it.

So, I used my keychain Photon III for the first few minutes, and when it became obvious that it wasnt going to be a real quick fix, I opened up the "emergency" kit and used a Brinkmann Long-Life.

I did have a Surefire E2 in my pocket too, but being a cheapskate, I chose not to use IT (plus, it is a little too bright for what I needed).

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well since I originally started that really old post, here´s an update.

I no longer carry the UKE 2AAA,since my EDC is now a Sure Fire E2 and 2 Photon II, the new story is I helped a buddy of mine find the keys to his car that were accidentally tossed over a 20 meter cliff and on to a small river at night, he didn´t have a flashlight and I lend him one of my photon so he could go down and look for them I stayed at the top searching for them with my SF, nedless to say I found them before he even got half way down the cliff, since they shinned pretty bright from the E2 beam.

The funny part is when I tryed to get my photon back, he was so amazed with it(even more at the E2!), that gave me $20 just to keep the photon (I would have give it out for free
grin.gif
) but now I have 2 more photon

wink.gif
he he.

Regards
Alex

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I posted this in the LED section on 3/6/02 and called it "The ARC AAA Le proves its effectiveness in a difficult situation". It was the first time that I realized from actual experience how important a flashlight could be.

When I bought two ARC AAA Le's several months ago, I did it mainly out of curiosity, assuming that I wouldn't have any real use for a mini LED since I EDC at least two brighter lights..
I was suddenly called to Miami because a beloved uncle was dying and the family wanted to be at his side. I had the ARC on my keyring and I had pretty much forgotten about it until things began to happen very quickly.

NOTE: Some Flashaholics may find this next part a bit distasteful, so they might want to skip the following paragraphs.

My uncle had started accumulating large amounts of a white frothy discharge in his mouth, which the nurse was constantly having to remove through suction and paper wipes. She was having trouble seeing accurately so I used my AAA to help her. It was so small that I could easily maneuver it out of her way, and at that range it was exceptionally bright. We did this several times over the next two or three hours. From time to time we used the ARC to confirm whether his eyes were slightly open. At one point the nurse dropped something and it rolled under the bed, where it was hard to see despite the bright room lighting. The ARC's bright beam quickly found it. I'll spare everyone any further details.

Later, looking for our rental car in the surprisingly dark section of the hospital parking lot, there were two cars that looked identical. The ARC quickly confirmed which was ours. Of course I had brighter lights with me but by this time I wanted to see just how useful this flashlight could be. Back at the house I slept in the living room, and the ARC proved to be a perfect nighttime bathroom-finding light and I found it easy to adjust the brightness and diameter of the beam using my thumb and first finger.

After my uncle died we were looking for one of his CD's which was of special importance to the family. He had most of his CD's piled toward the back of a crowded closet that also contained the electronic components of his sound system. The closet lamp provided poor light, which I supplemented with the ARC. We found the disc.

There were many more times when the ARC proved its merit, and despite frequent and fairly heavy use over eight days it never noticeably dimmed. All this from a tiny keyring light!

I have a large flashlight collection, including the M6 and several other Surefires, and they are certainly very fine lights; but this sad week showed very clearly that of all my lights, the most useful and versatile, and in certain ways possibly the best, was that lovely little AAA Le'

It is truly "The Indispensable Flashlight".

Best regards,
Brightnorm

pec50

Enlightened

This example might seem rather mundane compared to some of the other postings. But some years ago, while working as an educational consultant, I was caught on a Micronesian island as a typhoon hit with 175 mph winds. Needless to say, much of the island was devastated. Following the storm, I managed almost two weeks of light with my minimag using my two sets of AAs. Although I still maintain a fondness for my minimags, my standard carry is now geared to longevity -- ARC and Attitude.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pec50:
This example might seem rather mundane compared to some of the other postings. But some years ago, while working as an educational consultant, I was caught on a Micronesian island as a typhoon hit with 175 mph winds. Needless to say, much of the island was devastated. Following the storm, I managed almost two weeks of light with my minimag using my two sets of AAs. Although I still maintain a fondness for my minimags, my standard carry is now geared to longevity -- ARC and Attitude.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pec50,

You call that mundane? With 175 mph winds you were lucky to survive. How did you stretch your 2 sets of AA's for 2 weeks?

Best regards,
Brightnorm