ARC LS electrical specification - for CREE Mod

Kopec

Newly Enlightened
Its been a while since I though about my ARC LSH-P. But with the NEW XRE, I am now interested in upgrading the LED.

Very few LED flashlights have come along with the workmanship and coolness factor of the ARC LS, and it is a shame that it is now well underpowered.

Since I forgot all I knew about the ARC driver, I was hoping that someone could refresh my memory on the ARC LSH-P (driver type, current). With some mounting adaptation - It would seem that the existing driver may do a good job with the right bin XRE - Pehaps I am mistaken?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Early arc LS circuit i think using less efficient version of BB (or MM?). The newer arc LS (rev 2) uses BB with current set at 330~340 mA.
Yes, you can use the existing electronic and upgrade your LS. What you need is a modified reflector or optic designed for the cree and replace the LS with a cree. Or alternatively, using P4 SS led is easier to do.
I am sure other would chime in. There are basically a lot of things you can do to your current LS.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF !!

Nothing is impossible, I've seen everything done here on the forum...
However, difficulty level not always on the low side :)

First you would need to open your Arc LS without damaging it...
The emitter *would* work, but think you would need to snip some,
since the Cree XR-E takes up more real-estate compared to the
original Luxeon emitter... This is if you would like to use the original
converter board... Otherwise you have FluPIC or BBNG as an option,
but you would need to make a spacer for those to fit the Arc LS...

As for reflector, a shortened McR-18 would work great.
I don't really like the plastic IMS-series, since I've had those melt on
the emitters... Since heat will travel to where it can be released, using
a metal/alu reflector might even assist in cooling...
However, if you are satiesfied with 350mA, no real worries there.

If you need any help at all, just let me (or us) know...

Cheers !

Kopec

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input, I found what I was looking for here - http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47721My previous handle was Ledsmith - I have been away from the forum for quite a while and have returned with the release of the cree.

For the ARC LS, I can stick a .15 ohm resistor in parallel and up the current from .333 to .667. - or something like that.

I will give this a try - and luckily I have a mini lathe to handle the reflector modifications.