Surefire L4 questions

Grendel2000

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a new L4 and have a few questions.

My dealer (a local gunshop) doesn't seem to have a lot of turnover on these lights and I suspect mine may be a bit old. On the handle, below where it says "Surefire L4" it says "Power of Light 2004". I've never seen this on pictures posted here (although I've only been poking around here for a day). Also, the tint of the beam seems a bit green and mine has a bit of donut effect.

How can I tell how old this light is? Would it be worth checking if they have a newer one in stock (are newer lights made with different / better LEDs?)?

I got a great deal on it ($112 after tax) because they kind of screwed me initially. I had gone in to purchase an E2e (didn't know about the E2l or L4). When I got the E2e home and opened it there were minor scratch and wear marks all over it. I brought it back and complained that they had sold me a used light. They were out of E2e's and sold me the L4 for the price I mentioned.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Danbo

Enlightened
Accept the gift of a good light as it is. List price on the L4 is something like $165, so you got a good deal.

As for the tint and the donut hole; well, you takes your chances with Luxeons. This is why I usually prefer to buy my LED lights slightly used, so that I know, from the original purchaser, what to expect.

Grendel2000

Newly Enlightened
I'm still concerened about the "power of light 2004" writing. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

I only bought it yesterday and I know they have more L4's. I could probably take it back and sift through what they have and choose which one I want (no cost for the exchange).

Where can I find our how old this one is? Is there info on the net about serial #'s and corresponding mfg dates of Surefires?

How do I know which emitter is in this thing?

Thanks.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be something Al would know.

What is your Serial#? Whne I get home tonight I can compare to the 2 L4 body's I have and let you know at least numbers-wise where it falls

Grendel2000

Newly Enlightened
But what should i look for for SN#'s? Aside from beam perceived brightness, color and donut, what else?

Also, looking at the info about the cree LED (I'm new to all of this) is it likely that Surefire will update their models soon? Will there be new heads available with crees?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is the serial number but on my L4 the KL4 head has this number on it = it's the only thing I could find either on the light or in the box that looked like a serial: A211xx and I bought it early last year.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grendel2000 said:
But what should i look for for SN#'s?
I don't think anyone has conclusively proven that newer Surefire KL4 heads are "better" than older ones. Regardless, it is reasonable to assume that Luxeon emitters have only improved over time. If you believe this is true, then you should look for the highest serial number he has. If you want to look for a specific serial number, I can tell you that the one I own, #22194, is very good. I also recall reading a thread where the owner of #22910 said his was very good as well. (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1549781&postcount=17)

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
FWIW...received my KL4/L4 in January of '04 and it has the following S/N's:

L4 - A50942
KL4 - A03586

The s/n on the L4 is underneath the "FIRE" in the "Surefire" logo.
The fact that I got it in Jan '04 probably means that it was put together sometime in '03!

The reflecter on mine is completely stippled and does not have a noticable hole in the beam pattern.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF! As the saying goes, watch your wallet. :)

It really should't matter. Surefire very infrequently changes the circuitry in the heads, so the only difference is probably the LuxeonV LED inside it. By the time you become disenchanted by the beam you will probably be ready to send it to an established modder on CPF like Milkyspit to get a Cree XRE or Seoul P4 in it, or at least a better binned LuxV.

Just enjoy your L4.

Danbo

Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
I don't think anyone has conclusively proven that newer Surefire KL4 heads are "better" than older ones. Regardless, it is reasonable to assume that Luxeon emitters have only improved over time. If you believe this is true, then you should look for the highest serial number he has. If you want to look for a specific serial number, I can tell you that the one I own, #22194, is very good. I also recall reading a thread where the owner of #22910 said his was very good as well. (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1549781&postcount=17)

Just checked my L4, and the KL4 head on it is a lot older than yours. #A11301

Mine is a good one, I can tell you that much for sure. :)

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
My new KL4 is very bright, but it has a very slight green tint and a donut hole. The SN is A243XX.

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
Grendel2000 said:
But what should i look for for SN#'s? Aside from beam perceived brightness, color and donut, what else?

Also, looking at the info about the cree LED (I'm new to all of this) is it likely that Surefire will update their models soon? Will there be new heads available with crees?

They are not changing the L4 or U2 to Cree LED's.

Xcel

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Welcome to CPF! As the saying goes, watch your wallet. :)

It really should't matter. Surefire very infrequently changes the circuitry in the heads, so the only difference is probably the LuxeonV LED inside it. By the time you become disenchanted by the beam you will probably be ready to send it to an established modder on CPF like Milkyspit to get a Cree XRE or Seoul P4 in it, or at least a better binned LuxV.

Just enjoy your L4.

Has this type of modding been done to a L4 before? If anyone knows, fill me in. Thanks!

OH and by the way my L4: KL4 is A017XX

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the store will let you choose another, I'd do that. If not, you can probably get somebody here to put a better, bright LED in it. You might even be able to talk Surefire into replacing the LED or head, perhaps telling them that you suffer from a type of color blindness where your eyes are not very receptive to green light or something like that.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
grendel2000,
What other lites does the shop have to offer?

By all means if you are not happy with your purchase you need to address the issue with the seller.

There is absolutely no point keeping the L4 even if you bought at a discouted price and ending up dissatisfied and unhappy.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you have more than one L4 to compare the one you are buying the tint won't make a bit of difference to you.
The KL4 puts out a wall of nice white light from the wonderful LUX V emitter.
As somebody said Just enjoy your new L4. It really is a great light.
In fact I would venture to say that the L4 is one of the most popular flashlights amongst those that own them on CPF. It is certainly in my top 5 commercially made non custom flashlights available. It is also a very reasonable price. The cherry on the top is now you have the ability to play Surefire Lego's. Now you just need to but some more surefire lights or related parts.
Enjoy.
Yaesumofo

Latest posts