Why do people call em M*glites??

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why the *? What is wrong with saying Maglite. M*glite
confused.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I call them Faglites personally. The * is because Mag is so litigious when it comes to protecting its brand, patents, and anything that resembles an aluminum tube where light comes out one end.

It currently has a lawsuit against ARC just because they think someone might mistake buying an AAA for one of their Solitares. That is, even though it costs 3 times as much and has an LED instead of a bulb. No patent issues, no nothing. Just trying to drive out the competition.

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
There seems to be some sort of curse on all M*glites. It's taboo for a flashaholic to mention the full name. If you do, you are instantly jinxed.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we all ***** but so many of us buy them it's kind of hypocritical.

I just wish the alkaline batteries were better...c.f.:
http://user.fundy.net/cyclist/bikecurrent-FAQ.html#table3.4

Yet, Energizer's profits are $86 mil, up $16.

Other problem I suppose is that the easier to carry ones are less efficient:
2cell, best size I think, 0.60 mscp/watt
3 cell .94
4 cell 1.2
5 cell 1.4
(from http://www.radioshack.com/ data)

But I do like the mini...like I said in another thread:

So many people on here rag on the minimag as it comes, but y'know, I've been using mine again and really it's not that bad compared to other incandescent lights. I mean, it's not inefficient...you get about half the life of the Opalec and about the same brightness, just like most LED vs. incandescent situations. I don't think the mini is doing badly for the 300mA or so it's drawing.

I guess people here:
a> don't appreciate trading brightness for life
b> make a bigger deal than I do about beam patterns
c> think the bluer LED light just looks cooler (on that, I agree)

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a MAGLITE user for years...and then I learned better. for what they are they are they are nice... a beater light and a tool.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Ouote from their Legal Department:
It is the policy of Mag Instrument, Inc. to enforce vigorously its patent, trademark and other intellectual property rights in its products.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In the past, they have threatened and pursued legal action against anyone they judged to be misusing their registered tradename (as well as, or in addition to violating their patents).

Some may think that not fully spelling out any part of the registered tradename (similar to methods used for sneaking swear words past profanity filters in BBS and email screening programs) avoids any possibility of being accused or found guilty of infringement. People who believe this fall into one of two categories:
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those who are NOT, and should not consider being attorneys</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Attorneys who got their degrees from law schools in Barbados or out of *racker *ack boxes</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mostly, it is probably done as an expression of disrespect for their policies and/or actions and/or products. That's certainly why I do it (and do it, and do it). It's fun if your head is screwed on that way. It's a lot like saying "I'd rather push a ...", without saying it.
wink.gif

You can read more about their legal policies on their website, including contact information for the lawfirm that represented them in many legal actions (primarily intellectual property rights). However, Lyon & Lyon went out of business last year (yes, law firms do go belly up, and they used to be THE IP firm in the minds of many). Looks like *ag believes in keeping their website just about as up to date as they do their products.
grin.gif

John

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've "learned better" in terms of having many better flashlights, but you have to be willing to spend more. For their price, I think they're great.

Who, other than us, really wants to spend over $20 on a torch? Not many, I'd guess. You can't get much of anything in the way of LEDs for that money. An Infinity or Photon I I suppose.

'course, coming from a hobby of collecting fountain pens, even the expensive lights fit better into the budget
cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by radellaf:
'course, coming from a hobby of collecting fountain pens, even the expensive lights fit better into the budget
cool.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Try collecting insulators. You can find them for 50¢ or $34,000.00 or anywhere in between.
rolleyes.gif

As far as what to call that adjustable metal flashlight, I'll call it by whatever name is on the bezel, except when I shouldn't, like here!
grin.gif