Is honesty rare? (rant)

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a mountain biker and a relatively good one. I had a 2002 Giant rainier which finally died Feb 2006 when the frame cracked. Eventually I got a new frame but didn't want to rebuild the bike with old components since my skill level has grown out worn components and an 80mm fork. Also, I've always owned second hand bikes and thought that it was about time to own a new one. That by itslef was a hard decision since the cheapest bike I thought acceptable was something in the range of 3 months full salary ($1100US MSRP) Of course, I had to take a loan to pay for the bike.

By the time I had any money to make a downpayment, all 2006 bikes were sold out. I therefore had to go with a 2007 model and was biased to the Specialized brand, thinking very highly of the Rockhopper Pro. Going to a supplier, I asked him how much it would cost considering that the MSRP is $1100. He said about the same $1100 US! (This was after he verified the MSRP.)I was impressed considering the brand. (Not surprised since another bike shop quoted $1000 for a $1000 MSRP Marin bike.)

There was another supplier which could get Specialized. I went to him and asked for a quote as well. He said $1100 + Shipping + Customs = approx $1600 max . Hearing that, I went back to the first supplier and confirmed weather his price included shipping and customs. He said YES. Of course I was sold!
I paid $5000 (US$790 approx) downpayment and said that I'll pay the rest when I get the bike. They did not protest.

That was at the end of Oct last year. Now, after waiting THREE sickning months and getting endless BS from their Specialized contact, the bike is here. Now, $1100 US=$6930 TT. I was expecting AT MOST to pay $7500. My balance therefore would not have been more than $2500 TT (TT=Trinidad and Tobago dollar). Guess how much balance I had for them.... $4700! That's $2200 more than the maximum I should have paid. :wtf:

How could a business BS a customer like that? I MADE SURE to ask about shipping and tax since it's something I'm obviously aware of purchasing flashlights from the US for the past three years. He DID tell me that the approx $1100 price he quoted DID include shipping, tax, and duties. I did not think that it was 'too good to be true' since the supplier for Marin bikes told me that a $1000 MSRP Nail Trail would cost me final price $6400TT ($1016US). Of course I believed him when he said the Rockhopper would cost $1100 (The other supplier which quoted $1600 started his business less than a year ago while the person I was dealing with has had a shop for over twenty years.)

I'm sickened by the whole situation. :sick2:
The wait was bad enough but the BS price was just too freaking much. No, the 'price quote' he gave me wasn't in writing so there's no proof of what was exchanged between us. :xyxgun:

I was supposed to collect the bike in the morning but I'll go empty handed and try not to behave like an arrogant jacka$$. Either I get a serious discount, my money back or pay the $9700 and email my situation to all the cyclists I know. If I knew the price would have come up to that much in the first place, I NEVER would have bought it from them. I would have gone with Marin for sure and paid $6400 to a friend for a $6400 bike.

BTW, I spoke to a supplier of Cannondale bikes and he said that I'll get a Rush 6 (Online prices ranges from $1200-$1300US) for $8300TT or $1317US. It's a relatively good bike but, I don't like it. I'm unimpressed with the brakes and don't like Cannondale in general.

What a PITA.

Thanks for the ears guys.

eebowler

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You certainly have a legitimate issue with this dealer. I'm not familiar with TT law, but you've both entered into an oral contract to purchase. Your problem will be proving the elements of that contract. Unless he corroborates your story, unlikely, you will have a problem.
I believe honesty stills resides in the heart of most people but there seems to be an increase in "saying anything" to make a buck. Might just be a sign of the times with media, education, and political forces shading the scene.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila, that's what a lawyer friend told me, to get a written price quote with their logo/ stamp etc, next time I make such a transction.

Here's what happened yesterday: I went to the shop in the morning and spoke to them in a civalized manner. (slightly loud and anxious but civilized.) The fault is completely theirs and it was admitted but I understand why it happened. You see, after taking nearly months for Specialized to ship my bike, when it reached Miami, they waited for it to ship via sea which was their normal means of shipment. We waited a week, then waited another week. At that point, they asked me if I'd like for it to be shipped via air instead and it would reach within a few days. I asked how much extra it would cost and they said about $300TT, so I agreed.

Air freight actually didn't cost $300 but over $1300 and the bike was also taxed by customs. The extra charges did come up to about $2500TT. If it was shipped with their normal shippment via sea, the bike 'would have been lost' to customs and shipping etc, would have been close to nill. They DID NOT tell me this (weather they were aware or not, I'm not too sure) and hence the fault is theirs. In a court of law, I would have won the case.

I left the shop feeling :sick: , :mecry: because I lost 'my bike'. (It looked so GOOD sitting there in the showroom :eek:oo: ). Adding to my stress was that the alternative bike (Cannondale Rush6,) with it's unkown shipping and processing time and lower level brakes and wheels didn't look too good at all. Talk about between a rock and a hardplace :shakehead:

Eventually, I called them back and said that I'll take it and pay off the difference over the next month or so. It's really upsetting to pay so much extra for the bike but, after three months of missing rides and psyching up myself for a specialized rockhopper pro, I just couldn't let someone else get 'my bike'.