Options for a LED flashlight

fikkari

Newly Enlightened
I'm in search for a LED flashlight with the following requirements:

- can sustain full or near 100% light output for a long period of time
- have a good light output in general
- small enough to carry with me anywhere

My runner-ups at the moment are Inova T2 and Fenix P1D-CE Cree Edition. Can you recommend anything else for me?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Cree Huntlight FT-01 - 5 power levels...long runtime...very bright...uses and 18650 or 2 123a cells. Also the Lumapower M1 cree. Same basic light from Lumapower- different reflectors ( I think) one power level. Both around $90

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello fikkari and welcome to CPF:)

You had better posted in the Led's forum.:poke:...:).

At first, the Fenix P1D-CE is hard to beat. For its size and brightness in combination with the long runtime on "low" (still bright) you can't find any other light with this features for the price.

Another kind of output you'll find in a LuxV light. I.e. the SF L2, bright too, 2 brightness levels with a good runtime on "low" and good EDC'able.

Also possible, "ElektroLumens" "Little Friend". 3xLuxIII light in a small formfactor.

Depends on your price-range, a little multiple high-power Custom-Led-light.

Best regards

_____
Tom

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
A photon Freedom also fits. You didn't mention it had to be SUPER bright. It's a keychain light so it goes where your keys go or where ever you clip it.

fikkari

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello fikkari and welcome to CPF:)

You had better posted in the Led's forum.:poke:...:).
Thank you, Long John
You or admin can bump this thread there if it helps to get more info:bumpit:

I thought about where to post it and finally ended up here. Now that you mention it it would have been more logical :grin2:

Tebore said:
A photon Freedom also fits.
I want it to be a flashlight.

My max budget will be around €100 but I am ready to go little over if cost/quality ratio improves significantly.

Long John or MikeSalt, the P1D-CE, how significant difference in light output there is between the modes?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
fikkari, the P1D-CE is a bright light. That means, all 3 levels are bright. Perfect for my uses. It starts with the medium level, about the same brightness like a common LuxIII light. Then the high level, about the same brightness like common LuxV lights without premium led's, I use it only outdoors for short bursts to look further and the low level is about the same brightness like a LuxI light.
For me the differencys are right, for others the low level is too bright. With its very efficient driver, it has amazing runtimes with its one cell and that brightness with a linear output.
For beamshots take a look in the threads about it in the Leds forum.

IMO its a amazing little light and every flashaholic should own one.:rock:

Best regards

_____
Tom

TJZ

Newly Enlightened
fikkari, Fenix P1D CE Flashlight. I have one.
It is small, light, bright, has 3 levels plus strobe & SOS,
good runtime. Nice light.

Huntlight FT01 Cree. I have this also.
5 levels, very bright, has a clip on it, good runtime, runs
on rechargeable batteries 18650 or 2 CR123a cells: 3.0V, 3.6V, 3.7V.
Nice light. Brighter than the Fenix P1D CE.

If you only want one level, the Fenix P1 is good also, had this one
when they first came out.

fikkari

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everybody for their recommendations.

TJZ, I have to check that Huntlight. Are there any reviews for it? flashlightreview.com didn't have it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most efficient Luxeon (that I know of) is the new reflectored Inova XO based on total output (FLR review). It is $40 relatively compact, has a nice general purpose beam, and is available at Target.
It's efficiency: 5.6hrs @ 2400 = (5.6*2400) = 13440

The Cree XR-E is supposed to be ~twice as efficient though, so let's look at the P1D-CE according to FLR
Max: 45 min @ 7850 = 0.75hr*7850 = 5887.5
Primary: 2.7hr @ 4200 = 11340
Low: 10hr @ 1040 = 10400

Not bad at primary or low for only having one battery versus the Inova's two and being almost half the size (71 v. ~127mm long). The new Cree technology is great. Too bad Inova isn't using it yet!

TJZ

Newly Enlightened
fikkarin, There are no reviews that I know of. I have been looking
both on CPF and the Internet.
This light is still pretty new but some reviews should come out soon.

There are many posts here and there with people who have the
Hunlight Cree and everyone I have seen really like it, looking
good so far...
I am waiting for someone to start a post for reviews for the
Hunlight Cree(Hint everyone!).

Here are the Runtimes for the Huntlight Cree:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/147329

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
The most efficient Luxeon (that I know of) is the new reflectored Inova XO based on total output (FLR review). It is $40 relatively compact, has a nice general purpose beam, and is available at Target.
It's efficiency: 5.6hrs @ 2400 = (5.6*2400) = 13440

The Cree XR-E is supposed to be ~twice as efficient though, so let's look at the P1D-CE according to FLR
Max: 45 min @ 7850 = 0.75hr*7850 = 5887.5
Primary: 2.7hr @ 4200 = 11340
Low: 10hr @ 1040 = 10400

Not bad at primary or low for only having one battery versus the Inova's two and being almost half the size (71 v. ~127mm long). The new Cree technology is great. Too bad Inova isn't using it yet!
Efficiency is the ratio of output to input. The figures you've given are a measure of the energy produced per battery. But the XO's battery is two CR123A cells while the P1D CE's is only one. So per CR123A cell, the P1D CE produces 11340 lumen-hours at primary (medium) brightness, while the XO produces only 6720. This is closer to the 2:1 ratio you'd expect in favor of the Cree-equipped light. The efficiency of the Cree LED drops considerably at higher output levels, as the output product shows.

c_c