WANTED! Cheap 3w 2xcr123 flashlight.

lednut

Newly Enlightened
I need you guys help on this.Recently I introduced myself to the world of rechargeable 123's 3.0v and 3.7v and now I need to put them in something that does'nt burn a filament.I am now on the lookout for a cheap 3w luxeon flashlight that uses 2x123 cells.Dorcy seems to be the expert in 1 watt 3xAAA flashlights and the SL Scorpion is advertised as 1 watt and dang near 60 bucks! I like everything about the Brinkmann Maxfire as a cheap flashlight(I own one) except the incan bulb.The MXDL 3aaa lights are absolute junk and using odd numbers of batteries(3aaa) just seems stupid to me. I would prefer a genuine 3w Lumileds Luxeon star,but at the $20-$30 range I am shooting at, that may not be possible.

So,my questions are- What about the 6w,7w,8w lights at Deal Extreme? Are they junk? Will they hold up to general outdoor use? I know they can tolerate 3.0v or 3.7v rcr123's according to the website.

Can I easily mod my Brinkmann to a 3w lux or is this more work than it's worth?

Do I need to be looking elsewhere that I am not aware of?

I have a SL 2L3W and Dorcy 1 watt 1x123.They are both great, but the SL was a bit pricey and therefore stays at home. Thanks so much for your input and I have so far thoroughly enjoyed being a part of this forum! You guys are so helpful.

jb818

Newly Enlightened
You my want to look at the Nuwai TM-301X-3 Luxeon 3 watt LED. It uses 2 x CR123A and its around 40 bucks

hope it helps
George

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nuwai TM-115X. It has a fat head but is a very good light. Mine was about $25.00 because it was not black.
I wanted the next step up from my QIII and this is it. I wear it around my neck when I walk and got used to teh extra weght and size rapidly.
Nuwai and others advise against rechargable 123's and I've seen nothing that dismisses this idea.
Conversely, some of the new Cree clones use 1 cell and seem to be at least as bright as the TM and smaller than the QIII

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a couple of reviews on the dealextreme lights (also available at www.qualitychinagoods.com) in the LED forum. Search in the LED forum for "12W" and it will bring up the Vika and Lill reviews, both of which had good reviews. The other models I'm not sure about. I never really looked too much into the other models since I think they're kind of ugly. The new U2-clone (Nero) looks quite nice too. I know the models such as the Nero, Vika, and Lill use genuine Luxeon LEDs, either LuxIII or K2. Keep in mind tho all the lights at dealextreme are not regulated. They are either direct drive or use a resistor. This is not bad when run off a single 3.7V Li-Ion like an 18650 or R123A (16340) since Li-Ions have a very flat discharge curve anyways.

Other options:

1. Huntlight FT-01 available at jsburlys.com for $31! It's an amazingly built light with a very flexible driver in terms of the input voltage it can handle. The driver can take anything from a single 3.7V Li-Ion to 2x 3.7V Li-Ion that reads 8.4V hot of the charger! 2x 3.7V batteries would typically blow a driver circuit. Machining and mfr'ing is very good. A great light for the price that's on par or better than many pricier lights.

2. Wolf-Eyes LuxIII drop-in for SF C/P/Z-series and W/Es 6-series. I think this fits the Brinkman also...about $30 at www.pts-flashlights.com.

I'd recommend the Huntlight FT-01 if you can swing the $36 shipped ($31 + $5 shipping). If not, the lights from dealextreme are a good value also at around $25 shipped for most.

lednut

Newly Enlightened
Nuwai and Huntlight are two brands I am not familiar with. All of the postings I see from time to time refer to these lights,so I guess it is time to start looking at them closer. Regulation is a plus for obvious reasons. I do know that Huntlight is available at JSBurlys. Where is Nuwai available? A Google search would probably reveal that....

A genuine Luxeon can be direct driven? I thought only the clones had that.

I am checking on the Wolf Eyes drop in now.

JSR- I will check the lights you listed at Deal Extreme.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I second the huntlight, it's a very good light. From what I've heard, it has better quality than the nuwai. Plus, it's fully regulated, cheaper and has more battery options (2x cr123a, 2x rcr123a, 1x 17670, 1x 18650).

lednut

Newly Enlightened
Is the Wolf Eyes 6AX incan or led? It is hard to tell from the website in the description. I know the option is there for the upgrade Lux III. Is it a clickie style tailcap? Seems like a good deal for $34.99. The Huntlights look nice also,but show to be out of stock right now. I want to learn more about the Huntlights. I just can't sell myself on the flashlights at Deal Extreme,whether it be the lower quality or just guilt from buying cheap imports.

huntman

Newly Enlightened
jsr said:
There are a couple of reviews on the dealextreme lights (also available at www.qualitychinagoods.com) in the LED forum. Search in the LED forum for "12W" and it will bring up the Vika and Lill reviews, both of which had good reviews. The other models I'm not sure about. I never really looked too much into the other models since I think they're kind of ugly. The new U2-clone (Nero) looks quite nice too. I know the models such as the Nero, Vika, and Lill use genuine Luxeon LEDs, either LuxIII or K2. Keep in mind tho all the lights at dealextreme are not regulated. They are either direct drive or use a resistor. This is not bad when run off a single 3.7V Li-Ion like an 18650 or R123A (16340) since Li-Ions have a very flat discharge curve anyways.

Other options:

1. Huntlight FT-01 available at jsburlys.com for $31! It's an amazingly built light with a very flexible driver in terms of the input voltage it can handle. The driver can take anything from a single 3.7V Li-Ion to 2x 3.7V Li-Ion that reads 8.4V hot of the charger! 2x 3.7V batteries would typically blow a driver circuit. Machining and mfr'ing is very good. A great light for the price that's on par or better than many pricier lights.

2. Wolf-Eyes LuxIII drop-in for SF C/P/Z-series and W/Es 6-series. I think this fits the Brinkman also...about $30 at www.pts-flashlights.com.

I'd recommend the Huntlight FT-01 if you can swing the $36 shipped ($31 + $5 shipping). If not, the lights from dealextreme are a good value also at around $25 shipped for most.

I agree with you. Huntlight FT-01 is really good light ,it cost USD30, BUT you must say FT-01, because huntlight have FT01PJ /FT01PJX/FT01PJ-CE... they are cost are not USD30, and they are have a same aspect.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking for brightness, runtime, spot, flood?
I own the following from www.dealextreme.com:
1- VINET bright spot, good throw, short runtime on High 20-30 min.- Low 3hrs. plus) comparable to the Streamlight 2L 3W. I recommend it.

2- GLIMT bright spot, good throw, good runtime, but the reflector s shiny surface rubbed off when I tried to clean. They sent me a new reflector. Good for the price.

3- LILL I have one on order.

Basically these flashlights are good all around, but once in awhile you may get one that is defective, but covered under warranty.
I own Streamlights, and Surefire in which I had problems with also. l find myself using the flashlights www.dealextreme.com.
lednut said:
Is the Wolf Eyes 6AX incan or led? It is hard to tell from the website in the description. I know the option is there for the upgrade Lux III. Is it a clickie style tailcap? Seems like a good deal for $34.99. The Huntlights look nice also,but show to be out of stock right now. I want to learn more about the Huntlights. I just can't sell myself on the flashlights at Deal Extreme,whether it be the lower quality or just guilt from buying cheap imports.

fishx65

Enlightened
Just saw a cheap 3 watt Brinkman at Target on sale for $24.99. Not sure if it takes 123s though.

lednut

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have ordered the Huntlight FT-01 from Lighthound for $32.99 along with some other things I don't need,but do want. The Huntlight looks to be a solidly bulit piece of equipment that will fill the void I have of not having a Tactical/LED flashlight. I like the fact that it can tolerate the 3.7 cells. Is there an increase in lumens with 3.7v cells over the 3.0v or does the regulation cancel that? I am still looking at Deal Extreme,though. The Kull and Vildbar look like good deals.

Flashkat- I am looking for brightness,spot,durability and guilt free lumens in a tactical package. Hope I made the right choice,although I can always buy another one......