Modifying the LED in the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA!!!

Gryloc

Enlightened
OK! I understand everyone's excitement, so I will not leave you hanging. Here we go…

-Introduction-

The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA is a great flashlight to own. It uses a single 1W RWOK (or equivalent) Luxeon Star and a deep aluminum reflector to throw a tight beam.

The review of the ProPoly 4AA from Flashlight Reviews is here:
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

According to the site, "Output is in the form of a tight spot with a medium sized corona and wide spill beam. The central spot is very intense and provides excellent throw". You can expect 3 hours and 30 minutes of runtime with the included Energizer batteries (Proven to be "leaky" during use) and 4 hours and 30 minutes when using Energizer 2300mAh NiMH rechargeable cells. Expect about 3000lux at one meter with this light.

Overall, this is a great flashlight. Search a little around CPF and you will find everyone praising this light and recommending it to others. However, what if you can take this light and make it better? Switching out the original Luxeon Star (with a rating of around 39.8-51.7 lumens) with a brighter and more efficient LED would be a dream to many, as it was to me. As you open up your ProPoly, you may quickly find that the entire lamp assembly cannot be opened very easily. You may become discouraged quickly…

So, that is why you are now here! I will help walk you through modifying your ProPoly flashlight to use a different LED. I will walk through this project VERY slowly for all of you noobs ands experienced modders alike. Because all of this detail, it may appear that there will be so much to read. Try not to skim through this, as you may miss important notes and cautions! I will also give some tips on how to change the original circuit to deliver more or less current to your LED. The LED that I used was a T-bin Seoul Semiconductor P4 emitter that I attached to an old Luxeon Star Hex aluminum-based circuit board. I had to add a thin spacer to the emitter to raise it up a bit, but I will get to that later.

To complete this modification, you will need a few tools. You will need a small flat-head screwdriver, some form of knife (the ex-acto style knives work well), a soldering iron, a rotary tool with some form of small cutting disk, and finally, a Sharpie marker (optional). I used a Dremel with the attached ~30mm carbide cutting disk. You may find other tools that will work for you, but the standard cutting disk works well because it can get into small places. The heavy-duty cutting disks and the re-enforced cutting disks will also work for this mod, but they are not required. Because we are cutting into aluminum, there is a good chance that the aluminum will stick to the disk, fouling up the cutting edge.

As for some raw materials, you may need some tape (Scotch or electric), some thin cardboard or paper, and a small sheet of aluminum or copper. I used a section of a sheet of copper that was 0.0325" or ~0.825mm thick and it worked fine for me. This aluminum or copper sheet will later be cut into a small circle or square and placed between the Seoul Semiconductor P4 emitter and hex board. This is used to focus the odd P4 with the reflector. I noticed that you could buy a 0.030" copper disk in the Sandwich Shoppe Seoul LEDs section for $0.50. This may work for you. You can always experiment with different thicknesses of metal to get different beam patterns; therefore, your results may vary.

Unscrew your ProPoly and set aside the flashlight body and plastic front. All we care about is the lamp assembly. You will notice that there is an aluminum module on the top, which has the reflector feature and contains the Luxeon Star, and there is a black plastic base, which has the battery contacts and contains the LED driver circuitry.

flashlightreviews1rs.gif

(From the Flashlight Reviews website)

NOTICE: Please remember that you can click on some of these pictures to see a larger, more clearer version. Full pictures may range from 800 X 600 to up to 1600 X 1200. Sorry dial-up users. If full size pictures are not available, try again at a later time or day!

-Step 1 – "Tear-down"-

We must remove the black plastic part first so we can get to the fun part. This part is glued to the aluminum module. With a little force and patience, it will come off with ease. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures at the moment of this process, but I will try to explain how to do this in words. This is not that difficult…

Before we begin doing anything to this module, we need to protect the delicate surface finish of the aluminum reflector. Scratches and finger prints can affect the proper reflection of the light. It also looks bad if the jewel-like surface is dirty. Take that cardboard or heavy paper stock and cut it into a circle that is a little larger than the diameter of the very front of the reflector. Hold this into place by wrapping some electrical (or Scotch) tape around the top edge of the reflector and cardboard. This will protect the reflector material from your finger and anything that may scratch the surface. This is important if you will be cutting the aluminum and there are small bits of metal on your hands.

We need to break this glue, so we need to put pressure in a certain way to do so. For this step, we need the ex-acto knife (or equivalent). Try to slide the blade down where the black plastic piece meets with the aluminum module (At "A" on the figure below). This is along the very top of the rim of the plastic. NOTE: be very careful not to press down with the knife onto where the hydrogen catalyst pellets are ("B" on the figure below). They are very brittle and they are needed to protect the sealed flashlight.

Push down on the blade until it slides in somewhat. Pull the blade out and re-insert it next to where you last inserted it. Keep doing this until you finish the entire circumference of the rim (See the dotted line on picture below). When you press down, you may feel a confirming pop noise. That is the breaking of the glue.

flashlightreviews23sy.gif

(figure 1)

Now you are ready to separate the parts. To do so, place the entire assembly on a flat table surface. Press down in the very center of the assembly to break up the glue even further. You can rotate the entire assembly and repeat the downward pressure to work the glue and assembly apart. If it does not budge any, you can place a narrow, solid object on the aluminum part and then push on the assembly with more force. You do not need to put this in a vice, as that may damage the parts. Once the glue is broken, wobble the two sections apart. NOTE: Do not pull on the two parts to separate them. A short wire connects the hidden LED to the circuit. You may damage the circuit (tearing off the conductive pads) and cause more trouble for later.

Do we have the two sections apart? If not, repeat the above steps. If so, great! Observe the circuit board. You will see that the wires are soldered pretty close together. The blue negative wire is soldered to the top pad with the green SMD resistor with the R10 printing. The white positive wire is soldered to the bottom pad close to the black SMD inductor. Now you need to de-solder those wires. Be careful to not de-solder or damage any of the tiny surface mount components nearby. Congratulations! You now have the two parts fully separated.

Here is what everything looks like when it is separated. Don't mind that third part on the far left. That is just the battery contacts that can be removed if desired. Notice that I already modified this light before I took these pictures (take note of the cuts that I made, too).

(picture 1)

(picture 2)

-Step 2 – "Cutting Action"-

Now here is the fun part. You are going to separate the two halves of the aluminum module. These halves are actually press fitted together, so using a set of pliers to twist them apart will only cause you trouble. You may damage your precious lamp assembly if you use a vice or any type of clamping tools. I found this out by trial and error. You can see in the pictures all of the teeth marks from a set of pliers that I used.

This is where you will use your Dremel tool. If you did not tape the protective cover on the front end of the reflector by now, I would highly recommend doing so now! You will find aluminum powder everywhere and you do not want to risk the neatness of this mod. This aluminum powder is just like the sand after you go to the beach. It can be a real pain! Anyway, prepare your Dremel with the proper cutting disk.

Make four marks with the Sharpie marker on the bottom half of the aluminum module to indicate where you will be making your cuts. See the drawing below…

It does not matter if the lines match up with the four bottom holes. Now after you make those marks, you can begin cutting. I found that it is best if you make cuts that are approximately 1/16" or 1.5mm deep. If you cut any deeper, little harm will be done to the LED, but I worry that the fine aluminum dust might get inside and coat the reflector. I found that the wires got in my way, so I folded them up and taped them off to the side. If you would accidentally cut one or both of these wires (as I did), just replace the wires. I used some of nice Teflon coated wire from a previous project. It may be difficult to hold the module while you are cutting, so you may want to wear leather gloves and/or hold everything in a way that the disk will not cut you if the cutter would quickly push off. Consider the direction speed, also. I would highly recommend wearing some form of goggles or glasses to protect yourself from the flying bits of aluminum.

With your cuts, you may see into module, but you may not, either. If you do not see into the module throughout the entire cut, don't worry about it. There may be some burrs that obstruct the view at times. Once you have made your cuts, you will be ready to dive into the light. Here is a picture of the cut module with the Dremel cutting disk inserted into one of the cuts. The cuts are not as deep as it appears in the pictures. I wish I had a better camera to show closer views of the cuts.

(picture 4)

Is everyone with me yet? I hope my explanations are clear so far. If you don't understand what is going on yet, just try re-reading though the instructions. If you run into problems, then check with other members here on this thread. They should have the proper experience to help you out…

-Step 3 – "Clean-up and the Grand Opening"-

You are getting there. By now, it couldn't hurt to rinse off your hands. The aluminum powder is most likely spread all over your hands and forearms. See why I advised you to cover the front end of the reflector? Now we will get out the small flathead screwdriver to get these parts separated. If you look in the pictures below, you will see how it is done.

First, insert the screwdriver into one of the vertical slots that you cut. Make sure it is positioned closest to the front end of the reflector. See the picture below… Now, while gripping the screwdriver tightly, twist the handle very slightly. You may not see anything move very far, but that is okay. Move along to the next slot and repeat this process. If you do not see anything move, then try twisting the screwdriver a little more and repeat the process. If still no luck, you may have to check if your cuts were complete. Before you cut any more, try finishing this step. You may have broken the aluminum loose without noticing. Once you are finished, you are ready to pull the two sections apart. Notice in the picture below how the screwdriver is positioned.

(picture 5)

Now insert the flathead screwdriver into the large horizontal notch and twist slightly (as pictured below). Slide the screwdriver over a little in either direction and repeat the process of twisting. Notice how the base part is moving a little?

(picture 6)

Keep repeating this and you will find that the two parts are moving further apart. This is good! As you progress, you can switch your screwdriver with a slightly larger screwdriver (optional). Oooh, I am almost there…

(picture 7)

Once you get to a certain point, you can grip the bottom half and start wiggling it while pulling. Keep pulling it until it is free. If it is snug the whole way, that may be good for later. Okay, now they are apart.!

Here is the critical part. You may be excited that everything is separated, but we really need to clean all of the parts! The aluminum is in each crevice of this module. You need to use your small screwdriver or ex-acto knife to pull the black plastic spacer part out of the base section of the module. Take the Luxeon Star out as well. You should have four parts in total…

I found that running all the parts through water helps remove the aluminum dust. I scrubbed the bottom base and the plastic spacer, but that is not necessary. I was still careful not to touch the smooth reflector surface. If the reflector is dirty from accidental touching, you can clean it by dripping a tiny amount of soap into the reflector and rinsing with warm water. If you wash your hands well with soap and water first, you should be able to spread the soap around very lightly with your finger before and during rinsing. Allow the parts to dry. You can blot the parts with a paper towel. The reflector can be dried by blowing (possibly by the pressurized cans of air made for removing dust from electronics) if you worry that hard water spots will be deposited. If you would dry the reflector by a towel, make sure it is a clean, lint free cloth rag/towel. Do not rub it around, but instead, pat it lightly to soak up the droplets of water. Once you are happy with the results, continue on to the next step…

Here are the parts separated:

(picture 8)

<chorus>Ahhhh…

(picture 9)

It's free! Congratulations! You now hold the prize of the Streamlight ProPoly in your hand: the deep reflector. Now you have all the parts cleaned and dried, lets take a break!

-Take a break!-

This step requires you to relax a bit, but for a only for a short time. There is a lot more to finish! Here is the opportunity to lay out all your parts and observe what you have. Get a feel for how everything was assembled. This will help you when you have to re-assemble this mess. Here are all my parts laid out in front of me.

(picture 10)

Here is a picture of the Luxeon Star that was in my ProPoly.

(picture 11)

A "RWOK"! Not too shabby! You can put one of Lumiled's newer S-binned 1W LEDs in there, or you can try the 350mA version of the K2. For me, I will be using the awesome SSC P4! It would be nice to see people attempt to throw a Cree XR-E in here to see what the beam pattern may be like. The reflector should be deep enough for just about any LED that you choose to put in here.

-Step 4 – "Preparing the Replacement"-

Ready to continue? We have the parts cleaned and ready, so let's go on.

We need to prepare the new replacement LED to be placed into the aluminum module now. This 4th step can vary from one person to the next. I say this because if you have a better and brighter Luxeon Star 1W or 3W, then you are pretty much ready to toss it in the light and go. Consider the age of the Luxeon LED that you are planning to put in it. During the production of some Luxeon III emitters and stars, Lumileds decided to change the packaging of the LED, changing the height of the die a few small fraction of an inch in the process. This can change the focus of the LED in the reflector. This oddball that Lumileds produced was nicknamed the "joker" for its odd die placement. I cannot tell you when they started doing this or when they stopped, but there is a chance that your LED just may be an oddball. If you do not have anything in writing, you can do a simple side-by-side comparison between the height of the die on Streamlight's stock Luxeon Star 1W and the new one you want to replace it with. If they look the same, you should be fine. If they are different just by a little, you may cause the LED to be out of focus, OR you might get a more pleasing beam pattern. I cannot tell you. You may have to shim up the LED on the Star board to focus it. You will have to play and experiment a bit to get it to work.

If you plan on using the Seoul Semiconductor P4 LED, you are in pretty good shape because I know a way that seemed to work. The location of the die on the P4 is a little lower than the position of the die on the Luxeon Star, so we have to shim up the LED a bit. Seoul does not sell hex boards, so you may have to sacrifice an old 1W Luxeon Star for this mod to work.

Luckily, you have your existing R-binned Luxeon 1W staring at you with tears in its eyes, trying to whimper, "Please don't take me! <sob> I have family!". Being a crazed flashaholic as you are, you ignore its pleas of mercy and you swipe up the LED to tear it apart. You feel no pity for the thing! :mad:

Seriously, the existing 1W Star is an excellent donor. The star board is the original, so you know it works in the ProPoly lamp assembly. I noticed that some 3W and 5W hex boards are much too thick (with two obvious aluminum and board layers) for this project. This extra thickness will interfere with the needed black plastic centering ring, so the reflector probably will not focus at all. I also heard that the original aluminum hex board has a lower thermal resistance (in degrees C/W) than some of the cheap, imported hex boards you may get from eBay or some other stores. One example of a cheaper aluminum hex board is the one that comes with some of the XR-Es found here at CPF and other online stores, such as Cutter Electronics. I am not saying that these will not work; I am just saying that Lumiled's aluminum hex board might be better for you.

Anyway, we need to remove the emitter from the star. You can do this in a rather clean way without destroying either part. Start by de-soldering the power leads and bending them up a little so they do not contact the board. Try not to bend these too much, as they may break off. Then simply take your ex-acto knife and wedge the two pieces apart. Try to press the knife blade in the small crevice between the star board and the slightly extruded aluminum slug of the emitter. Do not pry any, as you risk tearing just the plastic off, or even worse, breaking the blade. With enough steady, angled pressure, you will pop the emitter right off of the star base. There you go! Now just scrape off the excess hardened epoxy, and you will have a nice, flat mating surface for your P4!

Now you need to cut out a small square or circle in your sheet of aluminum or copper. It should be about the same size as the slug of the P4 emitter. If it is too large, then you might risk shorting out the two power leads coming out the side. If it is too small, then you may not transfer the heat too well. You can cut this piece out with wire cutters, your cutting disk, metal shears, or even a pair of scissors (do not tell your mother, girlfriend, or wife, of course). Make sure after cutting this tiny metal disk, that it is very flat and smooth on both surfaces. File off any burrs that may interfere, also.

Since my project is only temporary, I did not epoxy any of the parts. You can get away with thermal paste. You need to sandwich the metal disk between the star board and the P4 emitter. Use a small dot of thermal paste between each part and then push them together. Move them so they look slightly centered. We do not have to be too critical, as the centering spacer will do all the work of us. There is enough room in the base for the aluminum hex board to move around. Once you get the emitter where you want it, solder each power lead down to the board. It may move a little while soldering, but do not fret. It is easily fixed. With the P4 star finished, solder on the new power wires if the original wires were accidentally cut or broken. Make sure the wires are about the same length as the originals.

As you can see in the picture below, I switched the original Luxeon Star LED out for the P4 emitter and hex board combo. I had a spare hex board, so I did not have to sacrifice the original. It was much too young to die! So, from left to right, you see the modified P4 star sitting in the bottom half of the reflector module, the unique (yet amazingly brilliant) black plastic emitter centering spacer, and then the original LS 1W…

(picture 12)

Here is a picture with the spacer on the P4 star. To the right is the same old LS.

(picture 13)

-Step 5 – "Adjustments and Re-assembly"-

Now it is time to put this back together. You may be wondering why we did not put any thermal paste behind the star hex board. Well, will do that, but lets test the position of your modified LED star first…

Place the black plastic centering spacer around the emitter and bend down the wires for them to pass through two opposite holes of the base piece. Does the LED sit flat against the module? If so, awesome, you cut and spread the base apart correctly. If it wobbles a little, you may be fine. Just make sure you use some thermal paste a little later. Now line up the base half of the aluminum module with the top reflector half of the module. Line up the slots that you cut the best you can so it will go back to the way it was before. It may help to have sharpie marks drawn on before you separate the pieces so you can line them back up for now. This is not that critical, so making a reference mark is optional. Press on the two halves together so it looked like it did originally. It may be a snug fit, or it may go on loosely. If it is loose, you can slightly bend in the four cut tabs of the bottom part with some pliers. This will put more pressure on the sides of the top half for a snug fit.

You are almost there. Now we need to check if the LED is focused. I found a way to do so without powering it up. Set the module on its side and step back a few feet. Look straight down the front end of the reflector perpendicular to the LED. Almost pretend that you are intentionally trying to blind yourself with the thing (which you will later :) ). If you see the entire reflector fill up with a yellow color, then that is good. If you see the yellow color fill up mostly the outer edge of the reflector area, then the LED is sitting back too far in the reflector, and you will have to raise it up by shimming the emitter a tiny amount more. If the yellow color fills up mostly a small ring in the center, then the LED is sitting too far up in the reflector, so you need to use a slightly thinner metal disk to lower it a little. You may be able to sand the tiny spacer disc down a little if needed.

Can you see the yellow color? Do not get it mixed up with the silver color that blends into the yellow very well. The yellow is from the phosphor, which emits the light, and the silver is just part of the aluminum slug that the LED die is mounted to. If you cannot see any yellow color, then the LED is way out of focus. You will have to play around with this to get it right. This may seem frustrating, but it is worth it when you have a super bright and narrow focused beam.

The reason that I tell you to "watch for the yellow" is so you know that the light from the LED die (coated in the yellow phosphor material) is being reflected out the very front in a straight line (for the most part). If you hold the reflector too close, then the image of the die will be out of focus. It will put a nice dot about a foot away from the flashlight as a result. Meanwhile, you may have a very broad beam when shining this thing any further away. When you stand back from the flashlight, you will be setting the focal point so the LED will cast a beam image much further away.

Here is an illustration I made using Pain Shop Pro (which rawks!). Notice how the yellow color is reflected differently when the LED is not at the reflector's focal point.

(focusing the LED)

Well, your results will vary, as I said before. When you slide everything together and everything looks good, then let us continue! Start by taking the LED and star back out of the module. Apply some thermal paste to the back of the star, and then reposition everything back into the module. Press everything tightly and ensure everything is very solid. Recheck the LED to ensure it is centered and focused. You are nearly finished!!!

-Step 6 – "Final Assembly and Power-up"-

Awesome! Now all there is left to do is re-solder the wires back onto the board. Remember the blue wire, or your negative wire, is soldered to the pad with the green SMD resistor with the "R10" print. The white wire, or your positive wire, is soldered to the pad with the large SMD inductor. Careful not to touch the other electronics as you are soldering. You do not want to burn or de-solder the small parts nearby. Be careful as to not chip that large cylindrical SMD inductor. The ferrite core of that inductor is very brittle and damage of this part may cause the circuit to run inefficiently.

Here is a picture of the wires soldered. The module is ready for assembly. Note the several mistakes I made during my first rough experiments with the circuit. I chipped the big SMD inductor, so that may hurt my overall efficiency. I replaced the diode in the far bottom left due to an accident with reverse polarity :ohgeez: . Finally, ignore the extra wiring. I hooked up a trimmer potentiometer to change the current going to the LED.

(picture 17)

After everything is wired up, lets snap the aluminum reflector module onto the top of the black plastic part. Before you do so, make sure both of those small, grey hydrogen catalyst pellets are in their designated holes. Those are needed for this sealed flashlight. Notice the little plastic pegs coming off of the circuit module. Those will fit into the two opposite holes (hopefully not occupied by wires) of the reflector module. Set the whole assembly face down onto a smooth, clean table-top or counter-top and press down onto the black plastic part until the aluminum module is fully seated the same way (or extremely close) to how you first found it.

Here are pictures of the final assembly after the mod. Please ignore for now the blue trimmer potentiometer that is shown on the side. That is a mod to the electronics we did not cover yet, but will later…

Top view. Look at it sparkle! See the Seoul Semiconductor sitting in there proudly?

(picture 14)

Here is one of the side views. See how everything looks almost original. Ignore the cut marks, the blue trimmer, and all the ugly teeth marks from a failed attempt to open the module with pliers.

(picture 15)

Here is the other side view picture (same side, of course). This picture clearly shows the scratches of my past experiments.

(picture 16)

Time to power it up!!!

All there is left to do is start this up. You can put it back together all the way, or you can just set the module in on top of the batteries and turn on the switch. Be careful of the reflector.

If it lights up, great, but if not, turn it off immediately. Ensure that the LED power wires are soldered in the correct polarity. Now check the beam pattern. If it is tight with a medium corona, just as if it was stock, then you are in perfect shape! If it looks a bit disappointing, then you might have to dive back into the light to adjust the LED.

-Conclusion-

Ok, for those who are waiting for my beam shots, here they are. To the left is my prized Quad TWOH Luxeon III Maglite using a Fatman boost driver to send 1000mA to each LED. I used 4 IMS SO20XA reflectors with this light. The light is powered by 6 NiMH AA's. The batteries were not "fresh" off the charger, but they only had several minutes of use so far before the pictures were taken. I would estimate that this light puts out ~280-300 lumens. On the right is THIS mod. NOTE: I am using fresh NiMH AA's in this light. I also have the circuit set to deliver ~800mA to my SSC P4 LED. The LED is a T-binned part from Mouser electronics. YOUR RESULTS WILL VARY!

(beam shot 1)

(beam shot 2)

Impressive, eh? I found that the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA flashlights, when powered from 4 NiMH AA batteries, may deliver anywhere from 450mA to 600mA STOCK. The LED should heat up at the same rate as stock. In a later addition, I will add on another section of this post to include how to modify the stock circuit to squeeze a little more power to your new high brightness LED. Even when stock and using a U-bin P4 emitter, the results will be impressive.

Anyone with a lux meter, please help me and post the readings that you got. Also, please help me out and pick out any grammar and spelling errors that you may have found in this report. If something sounds incredibly vague in this report, or if something does not make any sense, please inform me about those problems too. If you would like to add something, or recommend a better way of doing so, I am all ears! I greatly appreciate it! :grin2:

So, good luck and have fun! Too be continued…

-"Modification of the Stock Circuit"-

This area will be added as soon as I have more time. I have so much more information to add! Here is a picture of the circuit removed from the assembly (a little teaser). Sorry that it is blurred…

(picture 3)

Last edited:

Gryloc

Enlightened
Re: Anyone ever modify their Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon?

ORIGINAL POST THAT STARTED IT ALL:
Hello all. I was always wondering, has anybody ever modded their ProPoly Luxeon flashlight with a different LED? I wanted to change out the Luxeon 1-watt emitter with the Seoul Semiconductor P4 for a while now. At first I wanted to put the XR-E in there because the deep reflector, but why not use the P4? It better matches the Luxeon and that means more light in the reflected beam. Spill is unimportant for this light, as the stock ProPoly didn't have a whole lot of spill anyway.

With the P4, it would be much brighter with the same awesome runtime. Maybe I can change the electronics and either get the max brightness of the P4 :drool:, or match the 40lm of the old LuxI and have super runtime! Hmmm...

Heres the thing. I had the black part of the reflector module apart and the electronics out, but then I discovered something that stopped the mod. The aluminum reflector has the Luxeon encased very well with only two wires leaving the aluminum. It seems like there are two parts to this aluminum reflector that are press fitted together, screwed together, or glued together. I dont know which. :scowl:

After taping a piece of bubble wrap aver the reflector opening to protect the beutiful finish, I tried using various types of pliers to grip both halves and twist them apart. No luck what-so-ever! Argh! I tried inserting a flat-head screwdriver in the gap between the two parts, and twisted the handle to pry them apart that way. Still no luck.

Should I try heating the reflector in case it is glued? Will I destroy the coating on the reflector, or is the aluminum naturally polished to a sheen like that? I dont care about the Luxeon emitter at this point, BUT only as long as I can get this thing opened so I can actually revive this light. I dont want to end up with a broken pile of parts and nothing out of the experience. That would sadden me to lose this beauty all together.

I hope there was someone out there with success at getting the reflector assembly parts apart. Thank you!

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened

If you figure it out, this is going to become a very popular thread. I would guess about 75% of the members here have at least one Pro-poly. I use mine so much that I'm afraid to tear into them!

thezman

Enlightened

I did a destructive disassembly on my light after it went belly up on me.

The two parts of the reflector assembly are a very tight press fit. I tried twisting them apart and that didn't work, so I used a cold chisel as a wedge between the two parts and beat the crap out of it getting them apart. They would have still functioned properly, but they were pretty beat up when I finally got them apart.
Proceed at your own risk. :duck:

Gryloc

Enlightened

Seeing what thezman said, I will have to be very careful. What if I don't pry this off, but instead, weaken the metal that is press fitted a bit? Suppose I get my Dremel out and cut four slots in the bottom half of the aluminum module? Take a look at these pictures. Obviously I took too much time for illustrating my view, but hopefully people can see clearly what I mean. This was drawn to scale in Paint Shop Pro. Click on the little thumbnail for a larger picture...

ppluxaluminummodulesmalmw7.gif

I just guessed what the internals looked like and I took rough measurements of the position of the LuxI and its size.

With these slots, I can carefully bend each tab outward enough to free it. Hopefully I do not deform the reflector or the flat base that the star must have good thermal contact to. If the SSC P4 doesn't focus correctly, I can place the bottom half of the module (with the LED) at different heights. If the black body of the P4 is too wide, I can even try to shim the bottom opening of the reflector. I will have to see how it goes. Maybe I can get a copper or aluminum plate that can actually replace the Star hex board for better thermal conductivity.

Is there a circuit that I can replace the stock driver circuit? I measured the size of the circuit. It has a 27mm diameter, but it is flat on either side with a width of 15mm.

It needs to be a buck circuit (4AA NiMH to a single P4 at ~3.4-3.9V) with either a fixed or adjustable current. Please give me a variety of currents to choose from. With an adjustable current, I can find the best drive level while still keeping the heat inside the sealed light at a safe level.

I will also have to buy a U-bin SSC P4 to get the most light out of this. I only have one T-bin P4.

Thanks all...

-Tony

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gryloc said:
Hello all. I was always wondering, has anybody ever modded their ProPoly Luxeon flashlight with a different LED?

Gryloc, I recall seeing a thread on this sometime in past several months.

Someone started a thread on how he had disassembled the SL PP 4AA Lux light-module/reflector-assembly. He included pics and tips on how to do it.

He said it was very difficult to get apart without damage, but IIRC he was able to complete his mod and reassemble it to working condition.

Unfortunately, the CPF search function is not that good for finding a specific thread. It's been suggested this is due to those members who insist on listing the lights they own in the signature of each post. IMHO the management of CPF should discourage the routine listing of lights in signature lines, although that wouldn't help with searching the archives for old threads.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking of doing so awhile back until I took a good look at that module. Way beyond anything I can do without destroying it.

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened

This is a most welcome thread! Thanks for your detailed drawings. I tried to get the SL PP head apart earlier this week, but only got so far as to remove the plastic that covers the battery connections. As I found a tight fitted rectangular circuit board I hesitated and put the pieces together again. After seeing that I am not alone in my endeavours I will give it another try :)

Gryloc

Enlightened

Interesting...

I mentioned that I couldn't twist the two parts of the aluminum apart, but before I could even try, I had to get the black part (with the electronics) separated from the aluminum reflector module. This is one process that I succeeded at. I might as well mention how I did got those separated. I seen that some of you haven't done so yet. You can use a very small flathead screwdriver or even an ex-acto knife with a thicker blade to do this. This black piece is actually glued to the aluminum part.

Simply get either tool wedged in between the black plastic piece and the aluminum module and continue pressing down. I would not recommend prying at all. It will possibly break the blade or even chip/shatter those special catalyst pellets in there. Press down until you you see it spread apart, then move the blade over a little and do the same. Repeat and keep doing this until you make it around the entire circumference of the module. Most of the time, when you press down, you feel/hear the glue break. This confirms that things are going well :grin2: But again, watch those pellets. They will crumble, then get all over the place. Plus, you need those.

When you finish going all the way around. You can pull the two pieces apart. BE CAREFUL! If you pull to hard and fast, you will break the thin wires that connect the Luxeon to the electronics. The wires pass loosely into holes on the aluminum module, so you could break the wires off at the Luxeon Star. It is impossible to re-solder them unless you continue with the mod and open the aluminum module up.

Alright, so you have the electronics exposed now. Marvel at its beauty. You can separate the two black parts if you want, but it isn't necessary to modify the LED. That other part just holds the contacts in place and hide the other side of the circuit board. Do you know why I said the electronics was beautiful? Here's why:

I found that the my board sends more than the standard 350mA to the Luxeon 1W! This is true, unless my multi-meter is wrong. The exact currents will vary by flashlight and batteries, of course. Just like TaskLED's Fatman boost driver, there is a series connected "R10" surface mount resistor right before the negative wire that goes to the Luxeon. What is this for? Anybody thinking what I am thinking? Thats right. Easy current readings! I was able to read the voltage (in mV) from across the resistor (in parallel) and get an approximate reading of current going to the LED. I cant think right now how to move the decimal over. I think you move it to the left two places and you get current in amps.

I was excited to see that pretty, green "R10" resistor, so I quickly jumped to get some readings. I had some old batteries in there (real old Radio Crap alkaline batteries with ~1.2V on each cell) I measured "18.8mV". That must be 188mA, right? That didnt seem like much, but the batteries were drained. I popped in 4 NiMH batteries that had a good charge and did the same. I then saw "58.3mV". Thats 583mA!!! Is the Luxeon 1W getting overdriven, or is my meter wrong?

I took measurements of current with my multimeter at the batteries and I got around 480mA. That is a pretty low reading, and it is kind of odd, but thats okay. The meter has a resistance that can throw off numbers. I measured the current between the resistor, pretty much shorting it out (in a way), so I don't have to de-solder one of the wires. It measured about 600mA. When I do this short to get this 600mA reading, the LED does get a little brighter. This is awesome! I might not need to toss in another electronic driver after all.

This is amazing that the 4AA ProPoly 3 gets about 4-6 hours of runtime while still overdriving the LED for the first hour or two. Well, this is with fresh NiMH.

Maybe if this is your standard circuit, you can change the resistor values and up the current. The circuit seems pretty efficient. I can look up the numbers on the two switcher chips. One is a Texas Instruments (judging by the mini logo) "65<next line>P3702". The other is "ZXM6<next line>4PO3".

I will look these up to see how it is roughly wired so I can play with current. There are three other surface mount resistors in a small group that may be responsible for current selection. They have printed on them their special codes: "521", "562", and "810".

I will post this and then look around for those parts. I left long enough of a post anyway. I always have huge posts. Hopefully the details are useful! Good luck if you want to cut the aluminum module up. I will get to it over time.

-Tony

Gryloc

Enlightened

Well, I couldn't find any information on those parts. It is disappointing that you cannot find this TI branded part anywhere on the internet. Oh well. I will have to play with the resistors, I suppose...

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm too lazy to check, but can you order a replacement reflector from Streamlight so you can spare the original equipment and save some time? You would need your own driver then, of course.

Gryloc

Enlightened

Well, I don't know. If you would request just a new reflector, it may come two ways, either would be useless... For example, if you order the reflector that doesn't come with the base part, which holds the Luxeon Star, then you wouldn't have anything to hold the LED and heatsink it. If you order the reflector with the base, most likely it would come already pressed together with an LED, so you would have to cut it anyways. I also doubt that you can do this with the warranty, because it wouldn't make sense for the average consumer to have to free up the glue from their existing black plastic part with the electronics , then re-attach the new parts and re-solder the LED.

Now if you mean order a new reflector that is not on the warranty from wherever Streamlight gets them, then that would make some sense. I have a feeling that Streamlight either machines all their parts, or they buy them only in high quantities from an unknown seller. I do not know. You can always ask for the entire reflector/electronics module so you have a spare in case you completely mutilate your original. If you can order all the parts separate, then modify them and press them together later, then that would be almost too nice. Hmmm. Can anyone on CPF contact Streamlight and beg or complain or maybe talk sexy (for all you female flashaholics out there :) ) to convince one of the service guys to ship the special parts? Everybody at CPF cannot get away with special requests I am sure.

Anyway, after that last post of mine before I left for class, I was playing with the resistors. Unfortunately, I was doing it in a dangerous and lazy manner. I used the amp meter function of my multimeter (which has a very small resistance of like 0.1 ohm or so) to short out each of the three resistors I mentioned earlier just to see what happens.

Well, when you short the "521" resistor, the light switches off. I don't know if it does this in a damaging way, or if it is equivalent to forcing the circuit into a sleep mode. I later ignored that one. The "562" was interesting because when you decrease the resistance by adding a resistor, or in my funky experiment, short it out, it makes the light a whole lot brighter. I didn't measure current though. I tried a 1K resistor and it made it a bit more brighter. I never tried a trimmer or a potentiometer yet. Now, the "810" should be left alone all together! I shorted this thing and something instantly sizzled and smoked :ohgeez:. When I turned on the flashlight again with no probes on the circuit, it was dimmer. In fact, it was running at 60mA total with fresh NiMH AAs, BUT all was not lost. I checked the three resistors with my meter and the "810" had a totally wrong value now (990 ohms vs. 81 ohms). One of the other two read differently, too, but I forgot the exact values.

Anyway, the switcher chips were fine because I simply added a resistor to the "562" resistor and the light got bright again. I am lucky I burned the SMD resistors! I will try hooking up a pot to them later and fix the problem. Then I will take current measurements. Yay!

I am unsure if the circuit would still regulate at these different resistor values. They may be set for different reasons specifically for the chips. I'll figure it out. Maybe I can take runtimes (will be crude!) at different currents to see if the circuit is acting all right. Who knows, this thing may handle large currents and the only constraints is heat and batteries. Hmmmm. We'll see....

I got to go to class! Later...

-Tony

Last edited:

Gryloc

Enlightened

Oh boy! I am excited. I have a 100K pot on attached where the "562" resistor was and I can successfully dim the LED from <100mA to about 1100mA, BUT, the second IC (the non-Texas Instruments chip) gets a bit warm at current levels above 800mA. I can hold it for some time at this level and you do not feel much heat at all. I left it alone (since my finger acted as a heatsink) and touched it later and it was the same. Since I lost the original "810" resistor, I had to search around for some old resistors to replace it. Anything from 50-300 ohm might work here. Each different value affects the resistance from the pot it takes to dim to a certain current. If someone else does it, all they have to do is de-solder the "562" resistor and replace it with a low profile trimmer or an external mini potentiometer.

The only restriction I noticed was the heat from the Luxeon Star on the aluminum module part. I found that currents of 500mA will keep the temperature of the aluminum at a maximum of somewhere around 108 degrees F after about 10-15 minutes while sitting in the plastic head (not screwed to the body). Temperatures get up to around 140 degrees F at 800mA after 10 minutes in the plastic head. This is only 60 degrees C, so it wont hurt a higher power LED, but it will reduce it's brightness (85% brightness at this temp). The luxeon may have a slight limp in brightness because of the higher thermal resistance and a lower power and temperature handling. Actually, I know that 140 degrees F is the point where you will start feeling pain, so what is hot to us may not be too hot to the LED.

NOTE: Temperatures will vary on the type of LED and its forward voltage. Don't forget that I am also seriously overdriving this poor old Luxeon 1W attached to a fin-less aluminum reflector. Every ProPoly will vary.

The reason I am giddy is because of the beam from just the 1W powered at 800mA. The reflector is so awesome that my T-bin SSC P4 driven at around 1500mA in a cheap 27mm plastic reflector (actually with a tighter and brighter beam than a focused IMS SO27XA reflector) is not as bright! The beam is the same size and it has about the same corona, but the overdriven Luxeon I is has a brighter center than than the overdriven P4 light!!! I cant wait now for the P4 to be in with that reflector. In addition, My Quad LuxeonIII TWOH Maglite mod powered at 1000mA each using IMS SO20XA reflectors is nowhere as bright as this single light. It should be about 300lm. The spot of the Quad LED light is a little wider, though. Anyone have any clue of how many lumens the Luxeon 1W HD LED is at 500mA and 800mA? From the 3W specs, which are pretty close to the 1W at lower currents, I get about 50lm at 500mA and 72lm at 800mA. This is without heat losses and this is for a good binned LED, too.

I may cut the aluminum tonight. I want to see what this beast of a reflector can do. :rock:

-Tony

Gryloc

Enlightened

Hey all! I just want you guys to know that this thing worked beautifully. I am at home right now, so I am not going to give any details yet. This computer is too slow and I don't have the time. I completed it with the T-bin SSC P4 and stock circuitry and it is brilliant! I will try to get pictures up as soon as I can, too...

-Tony

chanamasala

Enlightened

How do you get the reflector apart? (I cut mine down at one point in the past, that's why it looks different than a usual one.)

chanamasala

Enlightened

It was a bear, but I got the reflector out.

Gryloc

Enlightened

Eww, chanamasala. That looks like the important part, the reflector, was totally mutilated. Sorry that didn't work for you. Actually, once you get the black plastic part off, do what I said with the dremel earlier and it will easily separate with no damage. I will be very busy tonight with some work, so I wont get anything else posted tonight unless I really need to. Just do what I said earlier and you will be fine. I will also explain my findings about the stock circuit later...

Oh, chanamasala. I forgot, since you have a cross section of the aluminum reflector, can you tell us if the reflector has a thin aluminum coating (you can tell if it can flake off), or if it is actually the same aluminum as the rest of the body but instead, polished? I want to know if scratches can be removed by polishing, or if the reflector cannot be fixed. Thanks!

EDIT: Newuser01. I doubt that boiling will help. It is not glued, so there isn't anything to break up or loosen. It is press fitted with matching aluminum, so theoretically, the aluminum will expand at the same rate, not allowing it to be separated any easier. If anything, you may destroy the original RWO- Luxeon Star and possibly risk destroying the reflector material (which may be an aluminum coating like most plastic reflectors, instead of finely polished aluminum). If you do so for the name of science, keep us updated. Don't forget, my method works well. I am not saying my way is the best way, but it worked well for me. I just hate seeing mods go wrong, having wasted a perfectly good light, as well as wasting their time and money. I hope everyones experience with LED technologies is a bright one (pun intended)...

-Tony

Last edited: