Lightest single 123 light for backpacking?

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
What do you think about choosing the battery type BEFORE you choose your light? I am looking for a light-weight, compact flashlight for general backpacking. The CR123 battery packs a lot of juice for its weight, which is a nice characteristic of lith batteries. Here's more or less what I am looking for feature by feature:

1. Light weight - can be machined aluminum or lexan.
2. Flood type light
3. More burn time vs light output. Don't need or even want huge lumens. Something to run around camp with, or find the trail at night. My X5 is almost too bright, and it's a 2 cell light anyway.
4. Totally bomb proof. Drop a rock on it, and it will still work.

This would replace my venerable and original CMG Infinity single AA light, very dim, but 40 hrs of light.
I might do a headlamp, but I don't really need one, and most are not as bomb-proof.

Suggestions?? Thanks!

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
For backpacking, I say go with a headlamp. I like a Princeton Tec Eos. You can use Lithium AAA's with it (I think)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't discount rechargeables as your power source yet. A single 18650 can have a capacity of 2600maH and will fit in many 2 cell lights. Very good energy to weight ratio and great long term value, all things considered.

Illum

Flashaholic
benchmade_boy said:
i would go with the surefire E1L

good point...but, I'd recommend the dorcy super 1 watt for budget and believe it or not...performance:grin2:

the regulator still keeps the light functioning long after my inova's T1's regulators given up, and since its about $20 a light...you wont worry so much if you somehow losted it

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
An inova X1 can be a good choice. Small and capable.

and I'll second the E1L also...........can get quite cheap now....

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zoltar - I think I'll have the perfect light for you in about 3 weeks. A manufacturer of ours, whom I cannot name yet, is releasing a tiny 1 x AAA flashlight which comes with a kit that also lets you convert it to a headlamp or a clip-on light - think a Photon Freedom keychain light built of aluminum and a lot brighter. Simple, reliable twist-on and under $20 retail. Makes an X1 look big.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Seems like you may be limiting your choices by looking only at 123 powered lights, especially if you want light weight and long runtime more than high power. I'd consider some of the single AA powered lights from Fenix and others. They'll give you possibly a longer runtime/battery and not weigh substantially more. If you're really flush with 123's I think there's a Tectite? Luxeon that's not real bright and runs longer than most single 123 lights.

Geoff

Warp

Enlightened
I went backpacking last summer and brought three lights. It was too many/too much weight. A headlamp or something that can be used in that manner is a must have. Beyond that you may or may not need anything else...just make sure you have something that is easy to use with no hands.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only 1 x 123 powered light I would even consider carrying that meets your criteria would be an HDS EDC if you can still find one. With adjustable brightness settings, you can make it bright when you need to.

Shao

txmatt

Enlightened
Depending on the type of camping/hiking you do, I feel a AA/AAA light is a better choice. Use a Lithium primary to save weight and for cold weather performance but have the option of being able to pick up an alkaline replacement at any gas station/park gift shop or bum one off someone else. If you run through your 123(s), you may be out of luck finding a replacement in the boonies.

A great replacement for the CMG Infinity would be an Arc AAAp or Fenix E0/E1. I don't have those specific Fenix's but the other two Fenix lights I have are nice. The Arc AAAp is one of my favorites. It's significantly brighter than my Infinty Ultras, built very solid, and delivers a beautiful flood of light (albeit with a bluish tint not unlike the Infinity). It's very useful when camping and is tiny.

You could also wait a bit for more Cree lights to come out. Most of these are being designed for high-power use, but Fenix has some multi-level lights coming out soon with a low level of 9 lumens (~twice as bright as the Arc AAAp and Fenix E0). Some other lights might appear with an even lower low. These could give you oprion of the brighter settings if you needed them, unlike the Nichia based lights above that are single-level.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second the HDS (or the earlier Arc 4). Runs forever on low, and low is very low, which means perfect for night. You can also clip it to the bill of your baseball cap and it becomes a headlamp.

LightScene

Enlightened
You might want to poke around in the headlamp forum and maybe post a question there.
For walking around at night in the woods I would want a headlamp to keep branches out of my face and eyes, and a flashlight to see where I'm walking.

Krit

Enlightened
I use my L1T head on 123a body for my night work and EDC light. It's very tiny light with bright power. Low levelcan go for about 10 hours working.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
A Tekna Splashlight LS might also fit your bill Zoltar - it's cheap, tiny (think fenix P1 size) and made out of polymer so it's very light and tough. It doesn't drive the LED too hard so should run for a long time. It has a floody beam (of not terribly high aesthetic value I hasten to add). It's also dive rated so completely waterproof, and is a twistie so is very reliable.

I'd have no hesitation taking a Splashlight camping, even if only as a backup.

EDIT: Oops I nearly forgot. Depending on how long you want to wait, Novatac are apparently coming out with a polymer body EDC at some stage. Now THAT would make a killer camping torch. Killer torch in general :)

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
Fenix P1 series either the D or the Cree version. P1D specs.

5 Output Levels: 40 lumens (2.8hrs) -> 70 lumens (1hrs) -> 7 lumens (21hrs) -> Strobe -> SOS

Weighs nothing, multi level, Strobe and SOS. Saftey first!

If you want lighter the Fenix AAA multi level lights are nice and JetBeam makes a nice AAA

frisco

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the Inova X1, reflector version. Good run time, lots of spill and in a pinch it will run on a AAA with a skinny rubber band wrapped around it.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should be aware that the SF E1L is a thrower not a flooder, but I guess you could get a beam diffuser with it?

Have you considered the Pierce 1 x CR123A light. Available in a throwy or a floody optic. Apparently quite good and two levels of light at much less than the HDS.

That said the HDS would be sweet!

Also Peak make a multi LED CR123a light, but only one level as far as I know.

Good luck, I know it's very nice justifying the purchase of more torches!!!:grin2:

Be lucky...

h_nu

Enlightened
I would bring my Fenix P1D CE but I don't have lots of confidence in it's durability. I would also bring my Pak Lite with a 9v lithium battery for looking in the pack or a tent and it's long runtime. I would also bring a Peak Pacific with a AA body and a lithium battery. All 3 flashlights are still light and I would never feel comfortable with only one or two lights.

I would consider a headlamp if you are going before flying insect season.

pec50

Enlightened
Unless you enjoy holding a flashlight by your teeth, I would also recommend a headlamp. If you are backpacking for extended periods and in remote locations you will find much easier access to AA and AAAs than 123. If you are adament about a flashlight, consider getting one that is small enough that you can use it in a headband. Spend a little time in the headlamps section as there is a wealth of info there.