1st impression LF LAs *BEAMSHOTS ADDED* [more shots addes 02-07, P91vsEO-9]

mdocod

Flashaholic
Ok I just got 3 lamp assemblies in.. all D26
3.7V HO-4 (*tested 1.8A)
9V EO-9 (*tested 2.0A)
9V HO-9 (*tested 1.6A)

before I begin I want to say that these lamps have a very FAT shape and do not fit properly in some flashlights. my ultrafire does not support these lamp without major modifications. (been grinding away material for awhile now to make room)... so if you have an ultrafire or similar light, you might want to take into consideration that these may NOT fit. (EDIT IN, CORRECTION: read below for more details on this, some ultrafires fit, some do not)

I'll probably take beamshots later tonight or tomorrow night if I have time. my initial impression of light output is that the EO-9, supposedly rated 380 lumen's, is about 60-70% as bright as the P91. (comparisons done on pair of 17670s). I was hoping this would be brighter, but oh well.. worth a try...

the 3.7V appears reasonably bright, a little brighter than the stock maxfire lamp...

*just tested current draw... going to top batteries off for beamshots tonight. I think it is fair to say that these lamps, are proportional in output to their wattage when compared to other lamps, no magic pixie dust here, more power makes more light... The 2.0A draw of my EO-9 would put it at ~75% of the *power* of a P91(2.7A), They both run very similarly white off a pair of li-ions, suggesting that they are being driven into the same realm of efficiency.... using this simple method of comparisons on paper, we could also say that according to LFs measuring techniques, a P91 would score over 510 lumens. The HO-9 also appears to be right in the ballpark, appearing brighter than a 1.2A G&P G90, but of course- dimmer than it's big cousin. The HO-4, again, appears to be right in line producing an appropriate amount of light for the power consumption. The tight/smooth beams of all of the LF LAs is really impressive. LF has offered some great "sweet spots" for LAs IMO. niches that haven't been addressed by other brands. After playing around some more, I am really liking the beam pattern of the EO-9 when compared to the P91, I think I'll be willing to sacrifice some lumen's for this beam and longer runtime. I think I'll probably pick up an Ultrafire WF-502D to replace the older model that I had to really grind out to fit these lamps.

more to come later....

**BEAMSHOTS
P911-15.jpg

EO-91-15.jpg

HO-91-15.jpg

G901-15.jpg

HO-41-15.jpg

P911-60.jpg

EO-91-60.jpg

HO-91-60.jpg

G901-60.jpg

HO-41-60.jpg

*** really wanted to have a comparison of the LF EO-9 and the SF P91 that takes the beam profile out of the picture and really shows raw output. A ceiling bounce shot- with the picts taken from a different room through the door is great for this because it totally eliminates the beam from the shot. In each picture, the light is in the same position on a table back around the corner inside the room pointed straight up.
done.jpg

*edit in 1/18/07@11:38am
**edit in 1/19/07@3:03am
***edit in 2/7/07@4:17am

Last edited:

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Re: first impressions of LumensFactory LAs... beamshots to follow..

mdocod,

Our reflector modules are made for Wolf-eyes, Pila, G&P, Surefire flashlights. Ultrafire flashlight model WF502B should fit in the HO-4 without problem. Maybe there is some design difference for 3 cells Ultrafire flashlight.

Our reflector modules are designed more throw than flood, in long range, you may discover the difference in brightness. Actually, the total output of P91 is higher than that of our EO-9, but most of P91's light is in the spill, while most of our light is in the centre spot.

Thank you for your order and look forward to your beamshots.

Mark

pete7226

Enlightened

Thats odd, I just received my EO-9 today and it is definitely brighter, by about 15%, whiter and has a more intense hotspot than my P91. The host was however 2 9P's with an a19 bored out with 2x18650. Not sure if your decreased output is due to the smaller batteries or just a weak/defective lamp. I received 2 EO-9's and they are both brighter than any of my P91's.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark@LF said:
mdocod,...the total output of P91 is higher than that of our EO-9...Mark

:huh2: If the Lumen Factory EO-9 is rated at 380 lumens and the Surefire P91 is rated at 225 lumens, how can the P91 have higher total output? I only ask because :stupid:

Bryan

Enlightened

You can see my posts in the LF thread, but I agree the P91 is a tad brighter. They are both pretty close. I even made my younger brother do a blind test and tell me which was brighter. He chose the P91 each time. I do like the EO-9 beam a little better (much rounder than the P91) and you can't beat the value of this lamp, really. Like I said, they are both very close in my opinion.

Mark@LF

Enlightened

Nikon,

You are correct, I have mistaken and regarded it as the HO-9, the HO-9 is 320 bulb lumens. The EO-9 should be brighter than P91, the bulb lumens of P91 should be about 350 to 360 bulb lumens. The 225 lumens of P91 is the torch lumens which is about 60 to 65% of the bulb lumens. However, our naked eyes cannot distinguish the difference in light output within +/- 15% range.

You are really SMART.

Mark

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im interested in seeing some shots of the 3.7V HO-4 compared to a P60 or something similar. I have a WE 3.7v LA on order with a new light and was thinking of getting the 3.7V HO-4.

pete7226

Enlightened

The bulb lumens is 330ish if you do the math from the rated 200 lumen p91 bulb. Interestingly enough my girlfriend also picked the EO-9 as the brighter lamp each time when shined at the ceiling. No mistaking about it, my EO-9 bulbs are brighter than my p91 bulbs, if only slightly.

mdocod

Flashaholic

batteries aren't anywhere near charged up.... so probably not going to be tonight...

funny thing... I ordered my batteries from AW almost a full week before ordering these LAs from LF, batteries still haven't come yet... mail from overseas is weird... these tests would be easier with the rest of those batteries here.... so maybe i'll wait till they come (hopefully tomorrow)...

also... a bit of a correction on the ultrafire compatibility... (as already mentioned by mark).... our 3 cell version of the light has a different shape at the head and the LF assemblies DO fit in that light... The light that it did not fit into, was a 4 cell version. WF-503B. The WF-502B fits fine.... weird...

So now I wonder if the NEW versions of the ultrafire (WF-502D) http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultrafirereg-4xlir123a-wf502d-with-clip-rechargeable-p-500.html
will fit these LAs?

Glen C

Enlightened

Just for reference on fitting, I have a WF 501C that the LF fits into perfectly. Wouldn't surprise me if Ultrafire was a bit inconsistent in sizing

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: first impression of LF LAs. beamshots coming. also compatability info..

mdocod said:
Ok I just got 3 lamp assemblies in.. all D26
3.7V HO-4
9V EO-9
9V HO-9

before I begin I want to say that these lamps have a very FAT shape and do not fit properly in some flashlights. my ultrafire does not support these lamp without major modifications. (been grinding away material for awhile now to make room)... so if you have an ultrafire or similar light, you might want to take into consideration that these may NOT fit. (EDIT IN, CORRECTION: read below for more details on this, some ultrafires fit, some do not)

I'll probably take beamshots later tonight or tomorrow night if I have time. my initial impression of light output is that the EO-9, supposedly rated 380 lumen's, is about 60-70% as bright as the P91. (comparisons done on pair of 17670s). I was hoping this would be brighter, but oh well.. worth a try...

havn't tested the HO-9 yet...

the 3.7V appears reasonably bright, a little brighter than the stock maxfire lamp...

more to come later....

Nobody ever said that LF bulbs were designed to work in UltraFire lights.

mdocod

Flashaholic

did I imply that I had been told this?

pete7226

Enlightened
Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic

your EO-9 definitely looks brighter in the beam... has me wondering how/why... mostly i think it's because of the tighter focus.... I' going to try to capture the effects of overall output and not just the beam intensity- probably do a ceiling bounce picture comparison.

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

The variance in colour temperature may be having an affect on brightness perception.

Bryan

Enlightened
Re: first impression of LF LAs *BEAMSHOTS ADDED* also compatability info..

mdocod said:
The tight/smooth beams of all of the LF LAs is really impressive. LF has offered some great "sweet spots" for LAs IMO. niches that haven't been addressed by other brands. After playing around some more, I am really liking the beam pattern of the EO-9 when compared to the P91, I think I'll be willing to sacrifice some lumen's for this beam and longer runtime. I think I'll probably pick up an Ultrafire WF-502D to replace the older model that I had to really grind out to fit these lamps.

I have to agree with you. I have been playing around with the EO-9 and I'm really enjoying it. I think it's a little whiter than the P91 and the beam is definitely very smooth. I love the P91 for it's huge amount of flood (wall of light) but the EO-9 has more throw and still provides a decent amount of close range flood. The EO-9 just kills the G90 lamps that I have as well as the P90 (as expected).

I was expecting 380 lumens to kill the P91 but I didn't realize it was rated as bulb lumens so I understand now. :)

pete7226

Enlightened

Mdocod, nice shots, interesting performance.

InfidelCastro

Banned

Why do people keep saying the EO9 is whiter when it's obviously not if you look at the pictures.

Personally, I'll take the P91.

The Surefire P91 makes the Steamlight SL20X I use at work look orange in comparison.

mdocod

Flashaholic

actually... you can't use my picts as reference for color temp... my camera does not have a manually adjustable and settable white balance (is that the correct terminology, i'm not a *good* photographer?)..

anyways... in person, the EO-9 and P91 are both very white...

It should be noted that because I am driving the P91 with a pair of good li-ions, it's brighter and whiter than it would be on 3xCR123s.