compact, portable speakers?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions for compact, battery-powered, portable speakers that can connect directly to a CD player, and are suitable for outdoor use? The compact speakers and "small" boomboxes I've seen don't provide enough "power," and the larger boomboxes that do are just too heavy and cumbersome.

Ideally, the speakers should be small and light enough to fit into a briefcase-sized bag, yet provide clear, full, rich sound. (Dream on?!?) Any information and/or a point in the right direction is very much appreciated!

Illuminated

Enlightened
Flashfan,

Powered PC speaker subwoofer/satellite systems are a very competitive market these days, and even the bigger names such as JBL, Altec Lansing, and Advent (just to name a few) are all making affordable amplified speaker systems with excellent sound quality for their size, and most I've seen can be run from 12-15 volts DC (check before buying).

Not sure about weather resistance for outdoor use, but I use my Creative (Cambridge Soundworks) system outdoors in fair weather all the time, and they do sound great. I think I paid $50 for the sub and 2 satellites together. The sub may not quite fit into a briefcase, but maybe an older camcorder case or similar.

The volume won't loosen plaster or break windows, but when placed on a crate against the back wall (outside) of my garage, the bass is impressive and overall undistorted sound volume and quality is actually quite good.

I have several of these systems placed all over my house and I like 'em just fine for the money.

Hope this helps a little...

John

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Cambridge Soundworks Model 11 -- I don't know if it's still made, but this baby is a suitcase that fits under an airline seat. Open it and take out the two satellite speakers and the amplifier. Close the suitcase, and it becomes the subwoofer. The case also contains the (optional) 12v battery pack for remote use..best sound for the size.

now they call it the model "12" --

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?category=port_spkr

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Illuminated and Ted the Led! These speakers look interesting, especially the Model 12(I wonder why I never came across these when searching Yahoo?). A little pricey (there goes the flashlight budget!), and a little heavy at 26 pounds, but size is right. I assume that sound is great, and therefore worth the weight...!

Thanks again, guys!