Is it a Texan thing........Nook-you-lar ?

MicroE

Enlightened
Why does the President always pronounce the word nuclear as nook-you-lar?

Is that how it's done in the Lone Star State?

Here is the Northeast it's Nook-Lee-Ar.

What gives?---Marc

Greta

Flashaholic
Hmmmm... here in the Southwest we say New-clee-r
grin.gif

mst3k

Enlightened
I do have to say. To have a guy with the power to actually push the "button" it would be kind of nice if he knew how to pronounce it!!
smile.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, 80% of the Senate and Congress and 90% of all people who talk "American" mispronounce the word. It isn't just a Texas thing.

In fact, I know quite a few people who work in the nuclear industry that mis-pronounce it.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
This has always been one of my biggest pet peeves regarding the pronunciation of this word. It's so simple. Nu = New Clear = clee-r . Not much of a stretch as Nuc = Nuke lear = you-lar. Please note that I am usually forgiving of most infractions of the English language, but there are a handful of them, including this one, that just drives me nuts. Especially when they are simple one or two syllable words.
BTW, library, February, and the misuse of the word all's, are among the list. Do you know how many people who I encounter that constantly say "All's I know is that blah...blah...blah" It makes me wonder how they made it through school. Or does the blame lie there, with the educational institutions?

Still wondering....

Ed
P.S. Some people take the opposite stance when it comes to "all's". They state that there is no such word. Rubbish! Shakespeare used it properly when he wrote: "All's well that ends well." It's just a contraction for all is. <Rant mode off>
smile.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Hey Wit's End, I know it is a stereotype as I have it displayed, but the HS kids around here in the Northeast are no gems either. They just have another regional "language" other than the ones we see in Hollywood who seem to think that the world revolves around Calif. To give you an example the above reference translated into Northeastern: "That be-hatch talkin' like she eatin' milk dud." I hear it all the time, but to derive the translation, I had to consult with my daughter. The reference to "Milk Duds"(the locals drop the last s in most plural words) is beyond my comprehension. To me, it hardly seems disparaging enough to be a put down, yet it is.

Ed

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Hey! Slack off! There's nothing wrong with the way we talk down here, It's everybody else that talks funny!
grin.gif

I seen to remember a President from Mass with a Harvard degree, that couldn't pronounce the country of Cuba! Called it Cuburr!

WaltH

Enlightened
I'm not sure what to think of what I saw last night. I believe it was a Catholic Mass. All the standing and sitting, or was it a childrens dance recital with all the ridiculous applause and whistling.
I think it's inevitable that we're going to go to war. And do it all wrong. We'll bomb 'em with the right hand, and send relief packages with the left. It will be just like last time. A bunch of noise that costs billions and does absolutely no good. If you want to eliminate evil, you must bomb the Sh*t out of them and let them re-build on their own, or not.
Or, we could just leave them alone. Maybe they would not terrorize us if we kept our noses out of their business.

Not trying to tick people off. I just wish someone could explain politics to me so I would understand.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it was ridiculous. Would have taken half the time if they'd quit clapping every sentence. Comedians don't get that much applause...wish Bush were joking.

Best surprise: Hydrogen energy research money (but isn't the main source of hydrogen from reforming petroleum)?

Best joke: The idea that a stock dividend tax cut would help the average american.

e=mc: "Please note that I am usually forgiving of most infractions of the English language, but there are a handful of them, including this one, that just drives me nuts."

How are you with half the people on the CPF calling a "lens" a "lense"? I wonder how the hell that got started.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by MicroE:

Here is the Northeast it's Nook-Lee-Ar.

What gives?---Marc
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's one of the most mispronounced words out there - in fact the news announcer for WQXR (owned by the NY Times) mispronounces it. In fact, every President since Ford has mispronounced in - M-W has a letter about this, saying it's not gramatically correct, but it's an "alternative" pronounciation

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Silviron:
Heck, 80% of the Senate and Congress and 90% of all people who talk "American" mispronounce the word. It isn't just a Texas thing.

In fact, I know quite a few people who work in the nuclear industry that mis-pronounce it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Including President Carter