Energizer Hard Case Professional

Kahu

Newly Enlightened
I was in home depot last night and saw a new series of flashlights made by energizer. I picked up the 3 led 2xAA model for $12 after feeling how rugged it was. The beam itself isnt focused, but its decent. I wanted a rugged light to strap to the rollbar in my jeep and this thing really seemed tough.

anyways... they had a 4xC and a 4xD 3watt led spot version that I want to pickup, but I wanted to see if any of you have used it yet. On the back of the package It shows a rechargable spot version that I didnt see the store. I tried to find more info on them, but there is none to be found (not even on energizers website). anyone pick up the 3watt version yet?? and do you like it??

3watt 4xC

lumenal

Enlightened
Kahu said:
I tried to find more info on them, but there is none to be found (not even on energizers website). anyone pick up the 3watt version yet?? and do you like it??

First of all, go back and click on the SEARCH THIS FORUM button and enter "energizer hardcase" and you'll get about a dozen threads related to these lights.

Second, I don't have the spotlight version of this light - but I do have the 2D 3 watt LED model. It is definitely rugged enough to strap on to the rollbar of your jeep. I bought mine for the car.

I like this light because it is squarish and tailstands, built like the proverbial tank, and actually has a pretty good beam.

There is a laser-beam type hotspot that throws like no tommorrow,with a fair amount of spill.

I've had 3 of these. The first one had a great tint, but had a shadow in the hotspot. It went back to Home Depot. The second had great beam, but also had that nasty green tint. It went back to HD. The third one I have now has a nice, white beam.

I found out through trial and error that the lower the LED sits centered in the reflector, the better the beam quality. Keep this in mind if you decide to buy one. Mine cost $25.97 at the HD.

Nebula

Enlightened
Kahu - what Lumenal said. The search feature is your friend. Now, with that out of the way I will respond to your inquiry. I own several of the new generation (gray/black) Hardcase lights. I also own several of the prior generation (yellow) lights. Energizer is correct about one thing - these lights are tough. That is unless you drop them face first. The window will scratch.

Here is what I can tell you:

1. The 2xAA 3 LED is a vast improvement over the single LED of the past generation. However, that ain't saying much. I sent all of my 2xAAs up to Milkyspit for modding. One of the 3LED models now runs 3 very bright wide angle orange LEDs. The other runs 3 nice - much nicer white LEDs. The older (single LED) 2xAAs were modded as well. My personal opinion is that Energizer could have done a MUCH better job in sourcing the LEDs. But then one can say that about many of the mass market lights.

The reflectors (if you can really call them by that term) are not much use with this type of LED. I suspect that the plastic contorted piece behind the LEDs is there becuase the public expects to look into a light and see a "reflector."

2. The 4 x C hand-held spot light is a very nice piece. I like the C cell very much and this light fit my needs. It does a decent job overall. I would say that other than ergonomics its best feature is the really long pin-point throw. I would not want to use it close up because I prefer a little more flood than the light offers. That said, the light is WAY better than my Dorcy 3W 4xD.

3. I had one of the 4xAA (same size as the new 2D). I sent it to Milky to play with. When the new 4xAA swivel head makes its way to market I plan to add it to my assortment. There will be a tactical version of the swivel, but it is not cheap at $69.00 plus.

Overall I would say these lights are worth the money for their durability alone. Good luck to you.

Kahu said:
I was in home depot last night and saw a new series of flashlights made by energizer. I picked up the 3 led 2xAA model for $12 after feeling how rugged it was. The beam itself isnt focused, but its decent. I wanted a rugged light to strap to the rollbar in my jeep and this thing really seemed tough.

anyways... they had a 4xC and a 4xD 3watt led spot version that I want to pickup, but I wanted to see if any of you have used it yet. On the back of the package It shows a rechargable spot version that I didnt see the store. I tried to find more info on them, but there is none to be found (not even on energizers website). anyone pick up the 3watt version yet?? and do you like it??

3watt 4xC

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kahu said:
I was in home depot last night and saw a new series of flashlights made by energizer...they had a 4xC and a 4xD 3watt led spot version that I want to pickup, but I wanted to see if any of you have used it yet...anyone pick up the 3watt version yet?? and do you like it??

Kahu, welcome to CPF.

Thanks for the link to the Energizer 2AA LED, which I wasn't aware of. I'll keep an eye out for this light and probably pick one up.

There is at least one thread I remember on the Energizer 4D Hardcase LED light, which hopefully you can find using the CPF search function.

I'm a big fan of plastic lights. Especially ruggedized, drop-tested, safety-rated plastic lights. Generally, I like them better than metal lights for outdoor use and other environments where they're likely to suffer abuse.

You might check out the plastic lights by Underwater Kinetics, Streamlight, and Pelican. These companies make EXTREMELY rugged, drop-tested, waterproof lights suitable for safety-rated, industrial use.

Princeton Tec also has a decent line of plastic lights, including dive lights, but as far as I know doesn't make safety-rated lights for industry.

All of these companies offer rugged plastic LED lights competitve with the Energizer Hardcase 4D LED. You might want to check out their offerings before buying the Energizer.

Kahu

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome and thanks for the replies. I did use the search, but all I found were the older yellow ones. Nebula was right on the "gray and black" (professional) series. I wasnt sure if there was a difference or not. I was dissapointed with the beam of the 2xaa 3led model, but its ruggedness made up for it. I wasnt aware that these things could be modded and its something Ill have to definately look into. as it says, im still "Uninlightened". ;) as for the spot, have you guys heard or seen anything on the rechargable version?

thnx again in advance!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
I'm a big fan of plastic lights. Especially ruggedized, drop-tested, safety-rated plastic lights. Generally, I like them better than metal lights for outdoor use and other environments where they're likely to suffer abuse.

I'm a big fan of plastic lights too and got good a reminder as to why the other night. I was needing to look for something and grabbed a 2D MagLED off my truck seat...

Let's just say there's nothing like walking around holding a 20 degree chunk of aluminum in your bare hand. Nice and cold. :thumbsdow

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
I'm a big fan of plastic lights too and got good a reminder as to why the other night. I was needing to look for something and grabbed a 2D MagLED off my truck seat... Let's just say there's nothing like walking around holding a 20 degree chunk of aluminum in your bare hand. Nice and cold.

I hear you, Lit Up. I forgot to mention this advantage of plastic over metal, but notice it myself frequently during wintertime.

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
Is there a site useful as a guide to these lights? I've been googling around for info and ended up a little confused. People sell this model or that model and I would like to get an overall idea of just what this "hard case" line includes. For instance, the Spot Lights seems to come in 4 AAs rechargeables, 4 Cs and 4 Ds models. I'm leaning towards the "TUF4DPE 4D HARD CASE PROFESSIONAL SERIES" but I've only found it here and here and neither of them as a picture and I'm not sure if it is the Spot Light I want or another model. And in any case, how come only two sites carry it? Shouldn't a light like this one be all around?

HowieG said:
Save your money and buy a Fenix.

I disagree. For people in the market for Energizer range pricing, I would geet a Mag for the AA market. get the 2AA/3AA Minimag LED. They're around $25 and are quite bright, about half the cost of a Fenix.

The 4D is huge and weighs 4 lbs with batteries in place. It produces a well collimated beam that has a donut like pattern, but as far as projection distance, it absolutely creams anything Fenix as you would expect from a light with a huge reflector.

I took mine back, because the size was cumbersome like a cinderblock.

See my thread on this 4D light:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/145904

Last edited:

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
I disagree. For people in the market for Energizer range pricing, I would geet a Mag for the AA market. get the 2AA/3AA Minimag LED. They're around $25 and are quite bright, about half the cost of a Fenix.

The 4D is huge and weighs 4 lbs with batteries in place. It produces a well collimated beam that has a donut like pattern, but as far as projection distance, it absolutely creams anything Fenix as you would expect from a light with a huge reflector.

I took mine back, because the size was cumbersome like a cinderblock.

See my thread on this 4D light:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/145904

I know about the 4D. I have the yellow one. I was going for the Spot Light. It looks rugged and I like that. I have four lights of the yellow line. I like them all. But since I'm moving ALL my lights to LEDs I want to replace them. I have several Mags. The 3D with the LED module. Works great. And I have the Mini LED, too. Works great. But I like the TUF4CPE and want to get one.

I had seen your thread and many others. Still, there seems to be no systematic presentation of these lights and the Eveready site doesn't help much. It surprises me that this line of lights doesn't receive more attention. I'm not sure if there's a more rugged line from other brands. I've seen a 4D yellow one thrown high into the air and let crash against a hard concrete floor and not a scratch nor any other damage. That's good enough for me. I wouldn't vouch for any other of my lights under those conditions.

Again, I can't understand why these lights don't receive much more attention. I would like to have the whole line.

Nebula

Enlightened
JB - I have the 4xC spot. See my note above where I note my impressions. As to the availablilty of information - or I should say lack of information - on these lights, I find it rather lame on Energizer's part for not promoting them. I found the Hardcase lights that I have at Home Depot and Advanced Auto Parts (old style -yellow vrsions). I recently bought the 2D for a fellow CPF'er in Hong Kong. He has been modding these lights using the Mag drop in LED. While I am personally satisfied with my 4xC as is, I can see that a LED mod could only help. Good luck to you. Kirk

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
Nebula said:
JB - I have the 4xC spot. See my note above where I note my impressions. As to the availablilty of information - or I should say lack of information - on these lights, I find it rather lame on Energizer's part for not promoting them. I found the Hardcase lights that I have at Home Depot and Advanced Auto Parts (old style -yellow vrsions). I recently bought the 2D for a fellow CPF'er in Hong Kong. He has been modding these lights using the Mag drop in LED. While I am personally satisfied with my 4xC as is, I can see that a LED mod could only help. Good luck to you. Kirk

Kirk, I've seen you previous post and it is one of the reasons I want one.

On the matter of modding I've actually reversed the batts on a 4 AA yellow model and forced a Mag drop-in module, just for the fun of it. And it works.

WNG

Enlightened
On the matter of modding I've actually reversed the batts on a 4 AA yellow model and forced a Mag drop-in module said:
I also picked up this model and reversed the batteries to run a SMJLED PR bulb.
It makes the most out of the moderate output and throws it quite well.
Now serves as a VERY long running LED light for my car.

In a previous thread, it was mentioned that I got it for $3.70 at Home Depot.
The yellow 4AA got clearance sale-ed and maybe a few might be remaining collecting dust on their clearance pile.

Nebula

Enlightened
Jorge- do you live near a Home Depot? If so, they carry the 2xAA, 2D, 3C, and 4D. On the back of the heavy plastic backing that the lights ship with is a small picture of all the lights, along with a basic description of the lights. I have one in my basement if you can't find one. I am happy to mail it to you. Sadly, this was the best information I could find on these lights after several days of searching. PM you address if you want sales literature. Kirk

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
Nebula said:
Jorge- do you live near a Home Depot? If so, they carry the 2xAA, 2D, 3C, and 4D. On the back of the heavy plastic backing that the lights ship with is a small picture of all the lights, along with a basic description of the lights. I have one in my basement if you can't find one. I am happy to mail it to you. Sadly, this was the best information I could find on these lights after several days of searching. PM you address if you want sales literature. Kirk
No, I don't. In fact, I live about 5000 miles from the nearest one. :awman:

I appreciate you offer, Kirk, it's kind of you, but I've decided on a TUF4CPE. My only problem now is finding someone to sell it to me. "Service Lighting" has already informed me that they don't accept international credit cards. And "Sacramento Electronics" hasn't yet taken the trouble to answer my e-mails. I'll keep on looking. Thanks for the offer.

Latest posts