Help me find the best Light for my Needs!

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
I need something Weapon Mountable, it'll be hooked onto an AR-15 14.5 M4a1.

What is some of the best setups I can get with about a $100-150 price range "including cost of pressure switch" in either a factory built or a custom built light setups? . By "best setups" I mean best value for lumen and beam quality. I'd prefer an LED light but I doubt in this price range I'll get anything decent "would want 80 lumen or more"

Paladin

Enlightened
Rails or plain handguard? VFG in use? Have you spent some time reading the info at AR15.com in the Light/Laser forum? Here's a picture of my personal "Zombie" carbine with a Laser Devices OP-9 main light. At times I'll also run a TLR-1 auxillary light at 6 oclock.

What works for one person may not be the best for someone else.

Paladin
Captured_2006-6-13_00009.jpg

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
My setup is a self build, CQD vert Grip on a CMMG 14.5 upper with Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite weight rail

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Save up and look to buy a Surefire 951-952 series.
I know it is not LED.
Is this a toy or you going to bet you life on it?
That's the real question.

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Ok,
You have a lot more options then.
I have my m4gery setup with 951, but will look to add the Mini_D from Lumapower when I get the next M1 version in. It is bigger than 1" but 30MM rings may let me mount it to the left side of my SIR rails opposite the 951.
Could be a cute addition with a lot of throw for a LED.
You need a light with a lot of throw to utilize the capabilities of the 223 round.
I don't have the M1 version in hand yet, but it may be a better choice for 76.50 shipped. Have to figure out mounting, but always a way to to that.
Have fun with the coyotes. If you are close to Louisiana, let me know and I can come help you thin the herd. HEH HEH

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Need somthing that will use a pressure switch though, defeatsthe tactical abilities of the rifle when you have to reach out losing your grip and sight to turn on the light.

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Pressure switch is best, but some people mount light so it can be pushed on with fingure or thumb. My Surefire is set up with pressure switch on a vertical foregrip.
I like the ability to turn on and off instantlly. If I need it on just hold down.

Paladin

Enlightened
SouthernSorrows said:
Need somthing that will use a pressure switch though, defeatsthe tactical abilities of the rifle when you have to reach out losing your grip and sight to turn on the light.

AH HA! A RIFLE length forend. A simple Surefire M78 ring clamp, holding a WG9D body with M2 bezel(P91 lamp) and Z61 tailcap will work fine for mounting the light along the 9 oclock rail. You use the thumb of your support hand on the rear clickie, while holding the rifle normally.

Paladin

ETA: why do you "need" a pressure switch? notice where the tailcap is in relation to a normal hold. sliding the hand forward a little to thumb activate the light does not hurt your grip or weapon control at all.
Captured_2006-6-13_00006.jpg

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened
Dang, my dinosoar PC keeps locking up when editting!

I missed your mention of the VFG. WHY are you using one when you have a rifle length forend? Usually the VFG is added because it is problematic to put a light at 9 oclock or anywhere else on a carbine and have room for holding the weapon. Then the light with OR without a pressure switch is held by an offset mount on the right side.

IMO, with RIFLES a 9 oclock light mounting doesn't need wiring, and is extremely ergonomic and natural to use.

With CARBINES a VFG is almost mandatory for convienient light activation. An offset mount like Daniel Defense makes will position the light on the right side for thumb activation WHILE the hand is grasping the VFG. Pressure switch is optional, and will sometimes LACK a constant on feature.

YMMV. In practice having "two" seemingly different light systems (rifle vs, carbine) works well, because in each instance the hand is already grasping the rifle appropriately, and the thumb reaches the tailcap switch without effort or shifting the hand much.

Paladin
Captured_2006-10-30_00000.jpg
Paladin "practices" what he advises...

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Okay now I'm down to this. Streamlight TL-3 211 Lumen per hour on 3 batteries (shockproof) or Pentagon 135 Lumen per hour on 3 batteries.

Which has best/better beam quality and throw distance per quality.