Got given a flashlight today :-)

magpie

Newly Enlightened
nothing special really but it was free so cant be all bad lol.

snap on tools engraved minimag......collegue of mine said it had been rattling around in his tool box for a while and it didnt work!!

so after 10 minutes of trying to remove the tailcap and copious amounts of wd40 i had to resort to a vice and a pair of pliers :-(

....yep you guessed it it still had batteries in it lot of corrosion on the tailcap and threads.

also on stripping the bulb mount/switch assembly it appeared that the earthing contact had also rotted and broken away from the bulb contact....not good.

so cleaned of as much of the corrosion as i could(turns out it wasnt nearly as bad as it looked) and set about repairing the earth contact...I used some very thin shim type brass sheet and fashioned a new contact reassembled the head and refitted the bulb.

loaded in some fressh aa's and refitted the tailcap.....now works a treat so i may get an led drop in kit for it as i am really pleased with my other minimag which already has niteize leds fitted.

think i would like something a little brighter than the niteize kit though so i will have to go searching the forum thread ;-)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just don't show the guy that gave it to you, he'll want it back!
Nice.....I LOVE FREE SH*T!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It always makes you feel good to return a device to its original brilliance, even if it is just a MiniMag. Good job!

Geoff

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, I've done things like this with free lights given to me. Most recent was a 4xAA mini flourescent lantern which wouldn't start. Just needed the tube pins and tube holder contacts cleaned...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love when people give me lights. They know I'm into flashlights so whatever they give I am most appreciative. It really is the thought that counts! Knowing that someone cared enough to remember you is priceless.

magpie

Newly Enlightened
oh he also gave me one of those penclip type lights doctors use for checking pupil sizes as his wife is a nurse...also FOC :)

OH and I was given 2 flashlights yesterday (for greenlights benefit) ;-)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just gave a Fenix L1 away to a buddy at work who is always feeding me really good food.

Its old school to me but he thinks its the latest thing. Gives me an excuse to get a Cree L1 when they come out. So we both win! :thumbsup: