Looking for something with a decent spillbeam on the cheap (5thunit/dealexpress)

tc535i

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any suggestions? Gonna be for walking/hiking, so I need some wide spill illumination, as well as a hotspot for throw. I'm gonna be replacing the 3xAAA capsule in another light with an 18650, so I was thinking of something that uses those batteries as well.

I came across the 12w "Vika" light on there, apparantly the 18650 uses a Lux-III and performs pretty well, from what I've seen on here (selfbuilt's post). Anyone have any opinions on that? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1086

I have a fifthunit light modded with a Cree for brightness, but I want something with a smooth beam pattern for cruising around outside. Thanks!

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Welcome TC!! I see you crossed over from Bf.c, E34 section.. :) Not much help with your quest sorry, I'm pretty new here myself... Although, the month or so I've been a poster, I've already purchased 3 lights with 2 on the way, maybe 3!!?? :whistle:

It's worse than modding your car!!!:grin2:

Last edited:

tc535i

Newly Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
Welcome TC!! I see you crossed over from Bf.c, E34 section.. :) Not much help with your quest sorry, I m pretty new here myself... Although, the month or so I've been a poster, I've already purchased 3 lights with 2 on the way, maybe 3!!?? :whistle:

It's worse than modding your car!!!:grin2:

Haha... well, if you've seen my cars, hopefully that's no indication of how much I'll mod my flashlights! Supercharged, coilovers, etc etc... I don't need another habit that expensive!!

I've lurked on here a bit, just signed up a couple weeks ago tho to pm a user (purchased a light from the for sale board). Looks like good info so far!

What kind of lights do you have?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
tc535i said:
Haha... well, if you've seen my cars, hopefully that's no indication of how much I'll mod my flashlights! Supercharged, coilovers, etc etc... I don't need another habit that expensive!!

I've lurked on here a bit, just signed up a couple weeks ago tho to pm a user (purchased a light from the for sale board). Looks like good info so far!

What kind of lights do you have?
Lights are in my sig.. I also have a 7W Luxeon, it's ok, actually it's for sale..

I'm waiting for my JETBeam C-LE, LumaPower M1 Cree and might get the LumaPower D Mini and most likely the new Fenix L1D-CE.. The last two are still debatable.. Need to save some ca$h for the E34.. :)

tc535i

Newly Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
Lights are in my sig.. I also have a 7W Luxeon, it's ok, actually it's for sale..

I'm waiting for my JETBeam C-LE, LumaPower M1 Cree and might get the LumaPower D Mini and most likely the new Fenix L1D-CE.. The last two are still debatable.. Need to save some ca$h for the E34.. :)
No kidding... I'm buying a radiator, water pump, hoses, and a couple other things for that 540i/6 I just picked up... definitely need cash set aside for those Bimmers! :drool:

How much are you asking for that 7w? Is it one of the chinese deals?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
tc535i said:
No kidding... I'm buying a radiator, water pump, hoses, and a couple other things for that 540i/6 I just picked up... definitely need cash set aside for those Bimmers! :drool:

How much are you asking for that 7w? Is it one of the chinese deals?
Here's the 7W light, just bought it last week, used it twice maybe 10 minutes total .. Make an offer.. :)

tc535i

Newly Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
Here's the 7W light, just bought it last week, used it twice maybe 10 minutes total .. Make an offer.. :)
That's funny, I was just looking at that one earlier. I kinda decided I wanted the 12w version, since it has more spillbeam... but the 7w would make a good glovebox light. They make an 8w version now that uses 18650 batteries instead of dual 123's for $20 shipped http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.825 that I was considering, I guess it's replacing the 7w.

The only problem is I don't have 123's, and didn't really want to spend the extra $$ on them since I think I'll be using 18650's in my 12w and my 3xAAA light. :shrug

tc535i

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I need to figure out what I want to get. I should probably just man up, order that 12w, a couple 18650s, a charger, and call it a day (~$40-45)... I can see how this hobby adds up quickly. :)

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Go on the cheap and get a Terralux drop in for a mini mag....it's really a lot better than you might think! Decent spot (not a ton of throw but not bad) and really nice spill. Check out www.lighthound.com

BMRSEB

Enlightened
tc535i said:
Yea, I need to figure out what I want to get. I should probably just man up, order that 12w, a couple 18650s, a charger, and call it a day (~$40-45)... I can see how this hobby adds up quickly. :)
Do it.... :)

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
The HuntLight FT-01PJ is a very nice light for the money ($30 at JSBurlys when they have them in stock). I bought one on the recommendation of many on this forum and have not been disappointed. The build quality is excellent and the beam has a nice bright flood, yet still with a good central throw. I think it will be perfect for walks/hikes and I love the feel of it in my hand. It's my favorite light so far. (The only other decent light I have is the Fenix P1D Cree. I like the HuntLight better.)