Which of These For a Weapon Light ?

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
These are just a few I came up with but Which of the following give the best bang for the buck as far as beam/throw without costing to much in battery life. I'm thinking one of the bottoms with LED would be the best battery life/bargain wise but if the beam/throw quality is poor than the lights are not worth a poop, correct ?

Pentagon X3-HA: 135 Lumens off 3 cr123's for 60 minutes

including Vltor Quick Detach rail mount , 6 extra batteries and Pressure/cord switch: Package deal priced at $130

Inova T3 LED: 85 Lumens for 2 Hours off 2 cr123's @ $55 + $40 for tail switch and about $15 in batteries ( $110 Total )

Streamlight TL-3 LED: 95 Lumens for 2 hours off 3 cr123's @ $110 including Basic Mount , Tailswitch and 3 batteries.

Wolf-Eyes 9TX Raider 200 Lumen for 60 Minutes off 3 cr123's @ $75 + $ 25 for tail switch and $15 in batteries ( $115 Total )

Surefire 6P-9 6v with high output P61 120 lumen bulb, Extended tube to accept additional cr123 battery, Pressure Switch and Tactical/Crenelated bezel $130 *unknown battery life*

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
SouthernSorrows said:
Inova T3 LED: 85 Lumens for 2 Hours off 2 cr123's @ $55 + $40 for tail switch and about $15 in batteries ( $110 Total )

While this is an excellent light and would do well on a weapon, it really is maybe 40-45 lumens instead of 85.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Wolf-Eyes 6HX which came equipped with a cable pressure switch. It is my first Wolf-Eyes and I can't say enough about the quality. It is well made and even came with proper lubrication on the threads and o-rings!

I prefer an incan for a weapon light, so I did not consider any of the LED options. Also, I do not think you need to worry about run time. This should not be any factor on a weapon light that might be used for a few minutes max.

Your price on the WE light is very high. You might want to check with Pacific Tactical Solutions, an excellent dealer and friend of CPF where the 9HX equipped with pressure switch is about $50.

You did not say what type of weapon or use you were selecting a light for. Remember that especially inside a house it is possible to have too much light for the desired use.

Is the Wolf-Eyes 6HX tough enough? I think so. I put 10 rounds of 12GA, 3" 00 Buck through my Mossberg 500. 5 with the light off and 5 with the light on. No harm done to the bulb and it functioned perfectly.

Mark

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Stuck between a streamlight 211 lumen TL-3 , and a Pentagon X3-HA 135 lumen... which would be best quality/value wise in both construction and beam.... the Weapon is a CMMG m4a1 Socom 14.5 with Daniel Defense 12.0 free float rail , CQD Vertical grip , Magpul buttstock & miad grip And Aimpoint Comp ml-2 with larue mount

highorder

Enlightened
I would get the TL3 it has a better hotspot, which I prefer on carbines like yours.

also, spend good money on a chromed bolt and bolt carrier. it will improve feeding and extraction as well as reduce fouling. the biggest flaw inherent in the AR platform is the dumping of waste gas into the action. the piston uppers are a quantum leap in reliability...

back to lights... try the SL.

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Well this is a new build, and it does have chromed bolt and carrier " LMT enhanced"

also, I allready have a POF ( Patriot Ordnance Factory ) Piston driven AR-15 in 14.5 :p with over 1200 through it and havn't had to clean it yet.

nexty rifle will be a Magpul Masada

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Pentagon X3 vs. Streamlight TL-3

Damnit all to hell I can't decide :rant:

Pentagon X3-HA with Surefire Flip diffuser cap, pressure switch And Vltor Mount
:touche: OR

Streamlight TL-3sp (shockproof) *Xenon not LED* with Flip diffuser or Red filter cap, pressure switch And Vltor Mount

If you could only pick one of these for an AR-15 "or any other long rifle" weapon light, you'd pick x over y because of ?.... "side-by-side beamshots would also be helpful in a major way"

Last edited:

highorder

Enlightened
you probably know this, but LED's offer no IR, and you have the kind of hardware that tells me you might have some NVO's...

just a thought :)

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Mounting a Light on an AR-15

Decided finaly on which light to get : Pentagon X3-HA with Surefire flipcap Filter , Vltor mount . But I can't decide How I want to mount it...

Tailswitch, put the light further forward on rifle length rail and have the switch on the VFG OR put the light against VFG and use the standard clickcap button with my thmb...

What do you guys use ?

highorder

Enlightened
Re: Mounting a Light on an AR-15

I have a few different setups, but the one I like most is on a 16" mid-length upper. I have a Surefire classic mounted on the left side of my front sight, with a tape switch at 9 O'clock on my handguard.