Wanting to bore out my 6P - Advice and help needed!

harddrive

Enlightened
I have a surefire 6P. It is the current shaped body with flat bits on the side where the surefire name is etched. Probably about three years old.

I am exporing the idea of boring it out to use one of AW's 18650 cells.

I remember reading somewhere that the older round body 6P's were easy to bore but the newer ones had less "meat".

Will there be enough "meat" in the body for me to safely bore it to accept an 18mm battery?

What is the best tool/technique to bore it out?

I had a bit of a look but couldn't find a thread with an "idiots giude to boring out a 6P"

Any other advice or suggestions welcome as I had never tried this type of thing before.

Thanks

Flash007

Enlightened
Can I bore a Surefire M2 to accept 18650 protected from AW ?
It seems to me that the "cutted" sides of the M2's body will be too thin if I bore it (I've mesured 19,7 mm)

Have already 17670, but want more runtime with the D26 3,7V 190 lumens from LF.

If it's not possible to bore the body of my M2 to accept 18650, I have the possibility to buy W-E 6AX or the Leef body 1x 18650 C2C for the M2 bezel (but this last is expensive).

harddrive

Enlightened
I ended up deciding on boring my 9P instead if 6P. I took mine to an engineering shop and they bored it out for $15 AUD. The narrowest part of mine was under the o-ring and the tailcap end. There was only just enough to bore but it worked well.

cy

Flashaholic
best way of course is a lathe and a reaming bit.

it's certainly possible to do this, clamping 6P body, then use a series of drill bits up to 18mm.

a reaming bit insures a uniform size, which is not necessary. just neater.
note not all 18650 cells are some diameter.

I've got a surefire 6P already bored for $65 shipped. please PM if interested.

Last edited: