Confused - what's the difference...

Grendel2000

Newly Enlightened
... between a SF L1 lumamax, and an E1L executive?

Both use the same L1 head, right? Both use a single lithium battery I believe, so what is the distinguising difference?

Thanks.

Additional question: I own an L4. If, when the new cree SF's come out, I were to purchase a new E1L, could I purchase a tail cap that would allow it to have two stages of light? Would this tailcap work on the L4?

Ideally, I'd like to use the L4 for EDC, but have a small light with more throw (a new Cree based L1 light I'm thinking) that I could mix and match parts with on my L4.

Thanks much form a Noob.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heads are NOT the same. The E1L (and E2L) use the KL1 LED head. This head contains the regulation circuitry within the head. The L1 (and L2) use LED heads without circuitry which is contained within their body/2 stage tailcaps.

Although it is hard to predict the future of things at SF, to date they have not produced 2 stage tailcaps for E1/E2/L4 lights. Third party tailcaps have filled this niche.

Mark

Grendel2000

Newly Enlightened
So, will the E1L get the new Cree LED?

If so, am I correct to assume that if I prchased and E1L, the head would be interchangeable with my L4? Further, if I purchased a 2 stage aftermarket tailcap, would it work on both lights?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Grendel2000 said:
So, will the E1L get the new Cree LED?

If so, am I correct to assume that if I prchased and E1L, the head would be interchangeable with my L4? Further, if I purchased a 2 stage aftermarket tailcap, would it work on both lights?
Welcome to CPF!

SureFire is updating the KL1 (as featured on the E1L and E2L) with their new KX1 bezel which features the new Cree LED. The lumen output will be similar but the runtime will be significantly extended. Further, SureFire is using a new TIR optic designed specifically for the Cree that gives a far better quality beam with the light distributed far more like a traditional SureFire incandescent light.

The L4 and E2L use the same body and TailCap so yes, if you purchased an E1L (either a current version, or the new version once it is released) then you could put the KL1 (or KX1) bezel on the L4 body.
Note that the L4's bezel (the KL4) is not designed for the single-SF123A E1e/E1L body although it will illuminate.

I do not know whether the new KX1 will function correctly if you use an aftermarket TailCap. I don't see why it wouldn't work similar to using the KL1 with such a thing.

I hope this helps?
Al :)

Grendel2000

Newly Enlightened
I think my head has exploded!

What I'm ideally looking for is a head with better throw than my L4 (the best I can get with the new cree heads) and a minimum of 100 lumens (the more, the better) and, if possible, a single cell body so that I have mix and match options with my L4 two cell body.

Is the L2 going to be updated? I see that it is rated at 100 lumens. Which head does it use? is it available on a 1 cell body?

Thanks for the help and thanks for bearing with me!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L2 and L4 are not going to be updated any time soon.

The L2 uses it's own bezel which is not used by any other light.
The L1 uses it's own bezel which is not used by any other light.

The new L1 will also feature a Cree LED and uses the same TIR optic as the KX1. The difference is that the new L1 is driven harder for 60 lumens output on high. Additionall the body of the new L1 is a lot shorter.
Although the new L1 falls short of your desired 100 lumens I believe the new L1 will be the SureFire that comes closest to your requirements.