Best Mag85 Reflector?

torchnoob

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I wanted to thank you guys for all the great info here. I've been lurking about for a few weeks and already have most of the parts for my Mag85 on the way.

I'm looking for some suggestions on what reflector will work out the best for a Mag85. I know the choices are a bit limited right now. I'm looking at the ones from the Sandwich Shoppe and Light-Edge. Any experience with these or others? I'm looking for the tightest bulb fit with good throw and some spill.

Also, what is the difference between orange peel and stippled? Is a LOP the same as Light Stipple?

Thanks,
Torchnoob

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say Light Stip or Med orange will give you the cleanest beam without too much drop on throw. I myself am waiting for the 3" heads to come back in the blue so I can get better throw. My mag floods more than it throws right now and that's when it's properly focused.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
torchnoob said:
I'm looking for some suggestions on what reflector will work out the best for a Mag85. I know the choices are a bit limited right now. I'm looking at the ones from the Sandwich Shoppe and Light-Edge. Any experience with these or others? I'm looking for the tightest bulb fit with good throw and some spill.

Also, what is the difference between orange peel and stippled? Is a LOP the same as Light Stipple?

Thanks,
Torchnoob
LOP stands for light orange peel.

Take a look at this 2005 post from Nikola Tesla.

The pictures show the differences between mirror smooth, the light, medium, and heavy orange peel, and the light, medium, and heavy stipple reflectors when using the same bulb.

torchnoob

Newly Enlightened
Those beamshots are pretty good, but I guess I will probably have to get a few different finishes. Now I just need to know which maker.

Anybody like one better than the other? How about fittment?

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
RE: who to get them from...

there are subtle differences between
- modamag's M2 designed reflectors
- Fivemega's removable cam design & others
- lightedge / Litho123's camless reflector.

Use the screen names bolded above and do a threads started by search. You'll find pics and info on the different designs.

I'm getting the "The server is too tired at the moment. Please try again later." message otherwise I'd post the links.

torchnoob

Newly Enlightened
there are subtle differences between
- modamag's M2 designed reflectors
- Fivemega's removable cam design & others
- lightedge / Litho123's camless reflector.
I can only find modamag's and the lightedge's, oops, I mean yours:grin2: , for sale right now, did I miss FM's? Any other sources I'm missing?

Last edited:

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
There seems to be some type of global shortage of M*g reflectors at the moment. I tried to a while to find an LOP and eventually found one by posting a request in the Mods B/S/T forum.

No idea why they are in short supply.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been posted the G&P scorpion and its $40 clone, UltraFire uf500, have reflectors which are sold in bulb assemblies will drop into the mag. The clone is from Dae. So for $40 you get a non-focusing reflector and high temp window and parts and bulb ($9-$25 depending on source) that can be resold. I have one on order just for the reflector, I have looked at detailed pics and think I can fashion a cam onto it pretty easy.
I just found the thread where the uf500 is discussed and someone mentions it will drop in:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146636

Last edited: