The Gun Show....what can i expect?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been to a gun show before, even though my area has at least once a month. THe next gun show will be in a few weeks and i am planning on going.

I am assuming that these gun shows are like computer trade shows, where they only accept cash, and maybe even credit....but no checks. I don't have my own credit card, therefore do most of my purchases with cash or check.

What i want to know is, what i should expect to see, as a flashlight and a *NEW* knife nut. Are there pretty good deals? How much money should i plan to bring? What should i look for?

I only have two things on my list that i want to purchase. 1)My first knife and 2)A good deal on Surefire (or any 123) batteries.

I know that if i see a REALLY good deal on a Surefire (E2e) or any other tactical light, i will jump on that too. But i will try to excercise some will power. I'm not fond of guns...but i say that now.

Maybe later, when i become an LEO after college, i will maybe appreciate guns a little bit more. But at the moment, there is no "need" for me to have one. Flashlights and knives, on the other hand, would serve me better as a law abiding citizen.
smile.gif

So who's ready for a gun show?

JackBlades

Enlightened
Which one do you plan on going to? There's a CrossRoads of the West show at Orange County Fairgrounds this weekend. They usually do Del Mar every couple months, too. You'll have a great time looking at all the stuff and people!
Look for Leach Enterprises for your SureFire needs. They have the latest & greatest and are very nice folks. You will also see many knives. Look for OSO Grande knives, they have all the good quality pieces.

Now for a REAL gun show, travel to Phoenix. It's a whole different animal once you get out of Kalifornia........
wink.gif

N162E

Enlightened
Hi Laurence, Welcome to your first gun show. You may be surprised how many dealers will accept checks, many will take credit cards and all accept cash, cash is King. You will see thousands of knives, do not buy the first palce you see something you want. Look through the show first then check back. You probably won't see a lot of flashlights at the show. Many dealers in these shows also have stores and deals can be made for later pick up.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man...you guys just got me all excited! I guess this is bigger than i thought. Thousand's of knives? i nearly lost it when you told me that. How am i ever going to choose?

Anyway, i'm glad to hear that some of them will take checks...it looks like my account will be depleated in a few hours.
grin.gif

JackBlades. The one i am going to is Crossroads of the West, which will be held in Del Mar on the 8th and 9th of February. THanks for the heads up with the Surefire and knife dealers. You mentioned OSO Grande knives. I was only looking for the usuall, Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT...etc. I am eager to learn more about knives, and i am aware that there are MANY brands out there. I guess i'll just have to be open to all designs.

Anyway...i am going to force myself to spend only 150 dollars or so. Thats my limit. Shoot me if i go overboard...wait i shouldn't say that at a gun show.
wink.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
First of all, go to the biggest show that comes around. Crossroads of the West are the biggest here, everything else is a waste of time. Also, always go early in the morning. The best deals will be sold out by the end of the day!

The majority of stuff sold at Gun Shows is junk. Its like an Iraqi fire sale. The best thing I can liken it to is the "Brick and Mortar" version of doing a search on a specific knife or weapon on your favorite search engine. You get tons of responses, tons of different prices, tons of different conditions, but you have to wade though all that sh*t to find what you really want.

Of the hundreds of people selling stuff from beef jerkey to toy rubberband guns, you'll quickly see that there are only maybe a dozen or so places that you'll even want to consider doing business with.

Always go through the whole show once and DON'T BUY A THING. Make notes of who has the best prices on what you want. After you are done looking at the whole show, then go back and get what you were looking for based on price. If you're buying a lot, you might even be able to haggle some more. But, don't take to long to get what you want either! Some great deals in the morning are out of stock four hours later!

Oso Grande is probably going to be the biggest knife dealer at the show. They bring just about their whole stock with them. Their prices on the web are retail, but they seem to do a good job lowering them for the shows. Most likely, if Oso don't have it there, you aren't going to find it at another table.

Most dealers accept checks. Some accept credit cards, but may charge you extra for that because they get charged extra for it.

Also remember that just because you are going to the gun show doesn't mean that you are necessarily going to get the best prices. I've gone to shows looking to buy specifics, but walking away empty handed because I knew I could find it somewhere else cheaper. Have an idea of what you want and how much it is worth!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I prowl the monthly (sometimes weekly!) shows around here and can tell you this.

I don't see much in the way of flashlights. And the ones I do see are usually sold by for lack of a better term "Hucksters". The prices on Surefire ain't nowhere near the best deals online. One guy was hucking G-2s for like $59.99...

Knives are another story. At least two different outfits show up for most shows. Both have lotsa stock. Both have Benchmade, CRKT, Victorinox, Emerson etc. Prices are generally reasonable. At one seller, the Lady is as nice and knowledgable as I could ask for.

Of course this is Texas, I shudder to think of going to a show in Kalifornica!!!

JackBlades

Enlightened
Originally posted by LEDagent:
You mentioned OSO Grande knives. I was only looking for the usuall, Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT...etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I should have been clearer. Oso Grande is a knife dealer and carries all the ones you mention, plus Chris Reeve, Microtech, Cold Steel, and many customs. Listen to the guys here and see the show first before buying.
Not surprisingly, the best selection is on Saturday morning, but the best deals are to be had Sunday afternoon....dealers hate to pack up stuff to take home, so this is your best time to hammer out a good deal!

Know the best web prices for the gear you want and use the shows as a hands-on experience to handle stuff you think you want. Then have some patience and find it online, typically 20% cheaper or better.....

Take CASH, and be strong!!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[/qb][/QUOTE]. Listen to the guys here and see the show first before buying.
Not surprisingly, the best selection is on Saturday morning, but the best deals are to be had Sunday afternoon....dealers hate to pack up stuff to take home, so this is your best time to hammer out a good deal!

Know the best web prices for the gear you want and use the shows as a hands-on experience to handle stuff you think you want. Then have some patience and find it online, typically 20% cheaper or better.....

Take CASH, and be strong!![/QB][/QUOTE]

this is good advice and all you need to know.
wink.gif

p.s. some shows are better than others, you'll figure it out.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED, let us know how it went. i was supposed to go today but didn't. my friend is buying a S&W 642. his wife's check didn't come fri so he is holding off.
bluesigh.gif

i enjoy the purchase almost as much, even though it's not mine.
grin.gif
bummer is, there probably won't be another show for awhile.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Guns shows are like e-bay, just because it's there doesn't make it a good deal. I bought a new Walther P22 at the gun show last month. I did my walk around and this one dealer had it for the best price. I had never seen one before so my only point of reference was the show. I bought it and found out 2-3 days later I could have bought it at the local gun shop for $40 less. (not on sale)

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Wow, sounds like gun shows in the West and Middle of the country are much better than the "Nazi Underpants"*
shows in the North East. Our shows have poor selection and even poorer prices.
frown.gif

*I have a friend who calls them Nazi Underpants shows because there is always a table selling that crap at the shows around here.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
prices in your states are directly related to how many knee-jerk liberals you have.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha...tkl. You seem more excited than i am about this gun show.

It didn't even start yet. Its on February 8th and 9th. Maybe i should look at the Del Mar floor plan so i can make out a shopping stragedy.
grin.gif

Anyway, i was starting to have second thoughts about going because i just quit my job to focus more on school. But now, i feel i'll be letting a lot of people down if i dont.
grin.gif
JUST KIDDING. I just have to watch how much i want to spend. Really...all i want is a knife and a new Surefire E2.

...Now if i could repeat that about 100 times i think i'll be safe.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i probably was more excited than you cause i was supposed to go yesterday but didn't.
grin.gif

it's a good thing i didn't go all the way out to the gun show here cause it's next weekend !
icon8.gif
somebody got their dates mixed up(tkl).
rolleyes.gif

oh well, waiting till next sat.
smile.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I'm going to the Crossroads Show here in Phoenix on Feb 22 to pick up a knife also, 'cuz I know Oso Grande will be there! Unless AZ Gun Runners has SureFire A2s, I ain't getting another light though...

Anarchocap

Enlightened
They don't go outside the state. But they have a website at http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/ .

I've been dealing with Gary every so often for about 8 years. His prices are usually one of the lowest around, and his selection of guns is along my likes, but you have to go to an AZ gun show to buy from him.

Once he moved his "store" out to Pine/Strawberry from Scottsdale, I quit using him so much. I don't go to the shows very often, as I find them generally a waste of time and money unless I have some specific need. I found another dealer (Scottsdale Gun Center) who has the same or better prices and has a store I can go to...

But for SureFire and StreamLight lights, Gary is the king of good prices here.