Palm Blaze K2 review and pics

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
Got the palm blaze in today.

IMG_1320Large.jpg

Pretty standard 2x123 sized light. It came with some batteries, which was nice, and I unscrewed the tailcap and put them in. It took me a second to figure out the switch. You screw it down to leave it on, but only if the switch in the middle is clicked. You have to press the switch in really far to engage it, so when the tailcap is screwed all the way down you can push it in half way (easily) for a momentary function. You could also leave it clicked on and unscrew the tailcap to turn the light off, it's pretty versatile.
The light itself seems to be decent quality. It's a good size for the hand and the bumps on the body make it fairly easy to grip, although the finish is so smooth that it could be hard to hold onto with gloves. The switch seems to be not veyr smooth (it's kindof creaky), and I'd guess that if anything on the light eventually fails, that would be it.
When I turned it on I kindof knew what to expect but I'll describe it here anyway. The light is pretty bright. The beam pattern is useful IMO, it's a square with a round hot spot in the middle. The round hot spot isn't much brighter than the rest of the square however, so it's kindof like a big "wall of light" as I remember someone else saying. It doesn't seem like it would throw very far though. The color of the light is pretty purple, which is disappointing compared to the felix p1d-ce which is rather white, although it's a small complaint.
Overall I like this light. It seems useful and fairly bright. The beam pattern is kindof its party trick but it's still a useful function IMO.
It's not as bright as the fenix p1d-ce but it seems to put out a more even beam, which is useful like when one day you want an apple instead of an orange.

IMG_1314Large.jpg

K2 and p1d-ce
IMG_1323Large.jpg

pid-ce, k2, and 3D cell maglite, all with pretty fresh batteries.

Draw your own conclusions about the brightness from the beam shots :)

yellow_at

Newly Enlightened
Could You please be so kind to give me a measurement of the smallest Diameter of the body (e.a. end cap off, treading there, or (better) at the seat of the rubber seal ring? (wanna make this an 18650 light)
I just cant wait till I get mine this week :rolleyes:

PS: I switched from optics to reflectors because I always got the feeling that the output of the same led looks more green with an optic.

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
yellow_at said:
Could You please be so kind to give me a measurement of the smallest Diameter of the body (e.a. end cap off, treading there, or (better) at the seat of the rubber seal ring? (wanna make this an 18650 light)
I just cant wait till I get mine this week :rolleyes:

PS: I switched from optics to reflectors because I always got the feeling that the output of the same led looks more green with an optic.

I don't have anything to measure with, but the inside of the housing is exactly the diameter of a penny. Hope that helps.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
GetSome, I picked mine up today and this little bugger is bright. The beam is kinda neat being square and all. I actually like it so far but only time will tell. It's definitely a little "WOW" light.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review and especially the well-exposed comparison shots. I'm guessing the P1D-CE was on high mode? I've been curious about this light and its 130 lumen claim.

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
As far as the brightness, I think it's putting out close to the same amount of light as the fenix. The K2's hotspot is dimmer but it's probably 2x the area. What do you guys think?

LightScene

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review. These kind of beam shots are useful. However, they don't let you figure out how well the K2 illuminates a scene versus how well the P1D-CE illuminates the same scene. Please take this as a suggestion, not a criticism.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
It's probably in the same ballpark as the P1D-CE... it's hard to say without spillbeam visuals. Seems like a nice light!

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
luminari said:
It's probably in the same ballpark as the P1D-CE... it's hard to say without spillbeam visuals. Seems like a nice light!

The spillbeam from the fenix is very very dim compared to the square "kinda hot spot" from the K2.

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
LightScene said:
Thanks for the nice review. These kind of beam shots are useful. However, they don't let you figure out how well the K2 illuminates a scene versus how well the P1D-CE illuminates the same scene. Please take this as a suggestion, not a criticism.

Maybe tonight I'll try something like that

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
thank getsome for you pretty review :)

you dont know how know the real lux or lumens of the k2 ?

when i see the pics in comparison with the P1D CE (115 real lumens), i think, 80-90 lumens... no ?

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
zerafull said:
thank getsome for you pretty review :)

you dont know how know the real lux or lumens of the k2 ?

when i see the pics in comparison with the P1D CE (115 real lumens), i think, 80-90 lumens... no ?

I'm not really sure, the hot spot on the K2 is just so much bigger that I wonder if it wouldn't be just as bright if it was focused more.

Chao

Enlightened
Got mine too, post beamshots and runtime here:

beamshots at 5m, left to right, palmK2 (CR123A), surefire E2L, fenix P1D CE

palm5m.jpg
E2L5m.jpg
p1dce5m.jpg

beamshots at 10m, left to right, palmK2 (CR123A), palm2 (17670), surefire E2L, fenix P1D CE
palm10m.jpg
palmk210ml17670.jpg
E2L10m-2.jpg
p1dce10m.jpg

Runtime graphs with lux reading
palmruntime-1.jpg

palmruntime-2.jpg

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Top notch beam shots, Chao. I'm surprised the PalmK2 scores fewer lux than the P1D-CE. I've read more than a few posts complimenting the Palm's excellent throw.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good work - I trust you're pleased with the purchase and service? The tailcap is classic tactical switch with a lockout feature - it basically allows you to leave the batteries in without the fear of the light being activated accidently which could unwantedly reveal your location in a tactical situation.

yellow_at - I tried dropping in an 18650 about 5 seconds after getting the first sample, no love with either protected or unprotected. Our RCR123A's fit and work but until I do more extensive testing I won't actively recommend the combination.

zerfafull - no one here has a calibrated lumensphere that I know of, the bulb luems are ~130 based on Luxeon spec but output from the lense will vary (luxeon lottery + optics) I think the pictures really say it all - brighter than any other Luxeon light out there and capacble of competing with the Cree's - and available now for a reasonable price.

spikid came by the warehouse today and his self-control crumbled in seconds. :)

Chao

Enlightened
GetSome said:
Nice work chao. What lux readings did you get with the fenix?

The lux reading of my fenix P1D CE is around 2900 lux/1m, I have a P1D CE runtime in this thread

PalmBlaze is really bright, although the lux scores is not so much, but you have a very big hot spot, very useful beam for me, I estimated this light should has 100 lum total output.

GetSome

Newly Enlightened
Chao said:
The lux reading of my fenix P1D CE is around 2900 lux/1m, I have a P1D CE runtime in this thread

PalmBlaze is really bright, although the lux scores is not so much, but you have a very big hot spot, very useful beam for me, I estimated this light should has 100 lum total output.

Yeah I agree about it being useful. The K2 and P1d-CE are the only lights I'll need for a while :)

So is this the brightest single luxeon light?

Bobmeister

Newly Enlightened
GetSome said:
The color of the light is pretty purple, which is disappointing compared to the felix p1d-ce which is rather white, although it's a small complaint.

That's interesting, because my Palm Blaze has a slight yellow tint when I compare it to the Fenix P1. I didn't notice anything until I did a side by side comparison, so I also consider this a minor issue.

Has anyone tried using the Palm Blaze with RCR123s? I haven't had any luck getting them to work.

As you know, the Palm Blaze comes with two Duracell CR123As. I tried using Panasonic CR123As, and they were fine, although I had to turn the tailcap a little more tightly to get it to make contact.

Next, I tried a pair of AW's 3v protected RCR123s (purchased from Lighthound) , and it wouldn't work at all, no matter how tightly I turned the tailcap. I don't believe that proper contact is the problem --- the RCRs appear to be the same height as the Duracells and Panasonics. In fact the bottoms of the Panasonics seem recessed very slightly, while the RCR negative ends are flush with rest of the battery base.

I am at a loss to explain why the (fully-charged) 3V RCR123s would not work in the Palm Blaze. Do you suppose there could be something in the circuitry that detects a slightly higher operating voltage, and shuts it down?