Best Lens & Reflector with 4D Mag and MaxStar5 K2?

cfromc

Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm still learning and I've searched the threads but most of the Mag "reflector" and "lens" threads mods seem to be w/incan bulbs. I've also found a lot about LEDs but I'm looking specifically at lens and reflector designs since I've already decided on the LED, which will be the 5W K2. I really don't like the original reflector and am looking for a much smoother beam, with more usable flood. I don't mind losing some throw and I don't mind losing the adjusting feature. From what I've learned, it seems that what works for an incan may not work for an LED. For an incan, I like the look of the beam from an HOP or a Light Stipple reflector. I was also going to get a mineral lens but I heard that the diffuser lens (?) will smooth out the beam, with a little loss of output. Everything is starting to get a little confusing, but, is there a good reflector I can use that will smooth out the beam w/o using a diffusing lens, so I can just use a nice clear glass? If not, which reflector would be best to use with the diffusing lens?

Thanks all.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you could use a diffuser window or a Heavy stipple or heavy orange peel reflector, using both will kill the output of the light almost 0 throw and dimm flood. I would say if you are looking for a good relfector go to the sandwiche shoppe and pic out on of their aluminum lenses with heavy stipple or heavy orange peel they should both have similar beams but someone can chime in on the difference I am an orange peel kind of guy myself, really adding diffusing material can make a nice low throw beam out of just about any cheapy light that is ugly. You can either go with UCL (ultra clear lens) or a borofloat mineral glass window the latter is a little tougher. Hope this helps.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
I like throw, so I'd go with MOP and UCL.
You might be better off getting Light/Medium Stipple and UCL/Borofloat.

If you want to keep the stock reflector, you could just get any lens from FlashLightLens.com and add LDF to it.

Heres a link to what different refectors do: link

cfromc

Enlightened
I saw that link earlier today but I'm wondering if the reflectors will have the same affect with an LED?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you buy a reflector buy the MaxStar5 - I think you'll find that many of the optical issues present with the stock incan. are alleviated with the LED. You might just save yourself $20-30. :)

Latest posts