Last week I watched all six Star Wars movies for the first time

cosine

Newly Enlightened
... yes, I have gone eighteen years without ever seeing any of those six movies. Almost unheard of, isn't it?

I watched Episode III, Revenge of the Sith, last. I think it was better than the first two movies of the prequel trilogy, but not as good as the original trilogy.

My thoughts on the movies:

(just in case you haven't seen the movies, spoilers below)

I like the original trilogy the best, and gained much more enjoyment out of watching those three movies than the three movies of the prequel trilogy.

I am glad I decided to watch the original trilogy first, and the movies of the prequel trilogy in the order they were made. (The order I watched the movies was IV, V, VI, I, II, III.) Many events in the prequel trilogy would not have made sense without watching the original trilogy first. For example, if I had not watched the original trilogy first, especially Episode V, were Luke undergoes his Jedi training under Yoda in which Yoda teaches Luke of the things which lead to the Dark Side of the Force (anger, hate, aggression, fear) I do not think I would have noticed through Episodes II and III Anakin's gradual fall to the Dark Side as those traits began to appear in him.

Of the three movies of the preguel trilogy, the last, Episode III, was the strongest. The first movie I thought was the weakest. It basically just documented from where Anakin Skywalker came. The second movie was a little bit better, but still wasn't great, for it only showed the very beginning of Anakin's inability to control those emotions which lead to the Dark Side as well as showing the viewer from where the many Imperial Stormtroopers came. Finally, the last movie of the prequel trilogy was the best of the three. You saw Anakin's fall to the Dark Side of the Force be completed, the destruction of most of the Jedi, and Palpatine's gain of complete control of the Senate and formation the Galactic Empire.

The original trilogy, the documentation of the Rebellion against the Galactic Empire, is the better set of movies. The prequel trilogy is interesting for gaining the background information of how the Galactic Empire was formed and how the Rebellion was needed to restore the Republic, but watching those three movies I don't consider essential. The original trilogy documenting the Rebellion stands just fine alone in its entertainment value.

In regard to the quality of the six Star Wars movies (taking into account which ones I liked the best and which provided the most entertainment for me), I'll probably watch the original trilogy again pretty soon, but not the prequel trilogy. I'll eventually watch the prequel trilogy again, but I probably will not watch the prequel trilogy as often as I do the original trilogy.

I finally decided to add an avatar. Princess Leia. I liked her that much.
wink.gif
As I mentioned it was my first time watching the movies, so it was my first time seeing Princes Leia. I liked her because she had lots of fortitude, courage, and spunk, and a pretty face too.
biggrin.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
(spoiler alert!)

The III movie (last of the prequel) held a jarring note for me when Anakin kills all the Jedi trainee kids. I had a hard time relating how being a little pissed at the old order could drive him to do such a horrific thing. And if he DID murder all those kids, then Anakin didn't deserve the rehabilitation he got in Episode VI, he should have burned in the Deathstar for that alone.

Just my take...

Topper

Flashaholic*
Whats your "take" on punishment for dragging /help drag old dead posts from the grave while the servor is busy?
Topper??????????????

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you my ex-girlfriend? I dated a girl (this millenium) who had not seen any of the movies. I couldn't believe it. There must not be many left.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw IV, v, and VI when they first came out (in the theatre) and the enhanced versions also in the theatre. Later I saw Episode I and that was enough for me. I haven't seen II or III.

My 5 year old son became very interested in seeing the Star Wars movies because of light sabers and Darth Vader Halloween masks that say "Your powers are weak". So we rented the DVDs of IV, V and VI on different weekends. I enjoyed IV though there is a fair bit of goofy stuff in it. I was very bored by the Yoda parts in V and didn't bother to watch VI with my family (surfing CPF and DPReview seemed more interesting).

So I think I've outgrown Star Wars.

My son wants to see the other 3 so I'll probably see them eventually.

Greg

cosine

Newly Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
I was very bored by the Yoda parts in V and didn't bother to watch VI with my family (surfing CPF and DPReview seemed more interesting).

Oh c'mon, the Yoda parts in V were some of the best scenes in the movies!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son liked it when Yoda was goofy at the beginning (before he identified himself). I remember being somewhat bored by the Yoda parts when the movie first came out (and wondering why Yoda had the same voice as Grover). I found it more boring after having seen it 2 or 3 times in the past 20-some years. Just my personal feeling of course.

Greg

TorchMan

Enlightened
I saw the first three upon their opening day releases. When Star Wars premiered, it was an unexpected hit, selling out all shows and they added a midnight. Although I liked the lightsabers, the first duel (Ben vs. Darth) was so weak and slow, the dogfighting scenes were what really put it over the top. Chewie was cool, too.

Empire was and is my favorite. Really showed the force powers, and the Luke vs. Darth duel was fast and intense. It's still my favorite. The Han/Leia banter and love story was great. The prequels seem to lack such sarcasm and humor, and what was tried is nowhere near as effective.

Return of the Jedi was a mix of elation and disappointment. Can't stand the Ewoks, I'd rather it had been Wookies. The sword fighting is sorta weak, although it was better than in the first movie, it couldn't hold a candle to Empire's duel. The Emperor though, wow! It showed why Vader worked for this guy. I was not, until seeing her in the metal bikini, much of a believer in the sexy princess angle. I was reborn!

If you saw the Special Edition of the first trilogy, you didn't see it the original way. George made changes, he didn't just enhance effects. There are bumper stickers that say "Han fired first!" seen on cars here, and they refer to the obvious fact that in the original, Han just shoots him under the table.

The prequels are a different breed. Phantom Menace was a bit too much "Young Star Wars", much as Return of the Jedi was. Anakin was too young, IMO, in this movie. An overdose of Jar Jar, and not near enough Darth Maul. I'm still trying to figure out some things, like how Anakin's starfighter got past the shields. Palpatine's political intrigue was most interesting. Ewan is great as a younger Obi Wan.

Attack of the Clones was a bit better. It's battle scenes are just, wow. Like the Fett angle alsol. It started to break away from the "Young Star Wars" feel of ROTJ and Phantom. The romance seemed forced between Padme and Ani. It did show a turn to the darkside, and his reasons for doing so were convincing. Palpatine continues to manuver well.

Revenge of the Sith is the best of these, IMO. Anakin completes his descent in a horrific way, and I found the sedcution's offerings much more convincing than the ones offered Luke to turn. I do have to agree with Nerdgineer about the younglings. Palpatine's emergence was great, though his sword choreography left something to be desired at times. The fight between Obi and his former apprentice is pretty good, if a little flashy. The space battles are spectacular. A side note: When Return of the Jedi was being released, some advanced posters called it Revenge of the Jedi, but that was changed. Wish I'd have snagged one of those!

I could write a big bad book about these movies, a little brevity is the goal here, less this thread begin to take hours to load. They are certainly not the best movies ever made, though among my favorites. I call them Comfort Movies.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Empire Strikes Back is the "best" because Lucas didn't direct. Irvin Kershner should have been on tap to direct ALL the Star Wars movies.

If they'd had Irvin Kershner or perhaps James Cameron directing, and they started the prequels with Clone wars, and added a third one after Revenge of The Sith, showing the early rebellion, Han Solo as a Imperial junior officer who frees Chewebacca and becomes a smuggler etc.

The prequels could have been almost as good as the originals.

Alas, water under the bridge.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
The first movie I ever saw in the theater was the original Star Wars. I've seen them all and think they are excellent.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is the potential for a good movie(s) there. They should let someone that believes in story over technical fluff. It is a good promo for the FX factory.

I'm just bummed at all the story potential wasted. I do watch it occasionally. I feel Forbidden Planet still beats it out.

My $0.02 YMMV

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched the "first" Star Wars movie when I was about 5 or 6 (when it first came out), I've been an Imperial sympathiser ever since.

As others have said, The Empire Strikes Back is indeed the best of the original trilogy...the later trilogy didn't work for me...but I'm not a little kid anymore.

BTW - Boba Fett is the best. That "Mandalorian Armor" he wears is some kick-*** kit...I need an outfit like that! :rock:

CFU

Last edited:

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
Ewoks... Jar Jar... I wanted to throw up.

I understand why Lucas did what he did with I & II it just wasn't what the fans wanted. We had an expectation of ACTION & ADVENTURE and instead we got The Wonder Years and Growing Pains.

Darth Maul deserved more screen time, one lousy fight?

Ewoks, puh-lease, anybody really believe those things could defeat Imperial Stormtroopers? I could thwack 'em all day long with a .22.

I did like the "enhanced" Death Star explosion in IV but I agree about the revisionist history as Torchman stated.

I wanted to BE Boba Fett, most of my friends did too. There was no cooler character to a bunch of 12 y/o kids, even though he didn't really do anything in the original series. He just looked like one bad mama jama!

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to sit down and watch them in the new order but one day I'll have the spare time to do it. Then for the hell of it I'll watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the complete series of currently released Harry Potter movies.

Come to think of it I may have to break a leg or something to get this much free time! :)

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Pellidon said:
They should let someone that believes in story over technical fluff.

Exactly. One reason why I enjoyed the original trilogy more is there seemed to be more "story," less technical stuff (overdose of CGI in the prequels, anyone? :whistle:)

Funny you mentioned Lord of the Rings, Concept. That's next on my "must watch" list.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would need alot of caffine to get through all 3 LOTR's in one sitting, I tell you what.

My other half can do about 10 minutes of it and then she is off counting the sheep.

Oh and throw in the Matrix trilogy while your at it.

lukus

Enlightened
The prequels just pissed me off. Took a good story and ruined it with characters that you just really couldn't care about. I kept wishing for Jar Jar to suffer a horribly graphic and messy death to partially redeem the movie. I guess nothing was learned from the angry teddy bears with spears (ewoks). Anakin was just a smart *** kid that needed a slap upside the head, and Padme didn't have much more depth of character than Paris Hilton.

Special effects are a poor substitute for good writing and character developement.