'far red' led panels for sale?

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Workplace pondering getting some anodyne machines. Price ridiculous, IMHO.

Also, anodyne can't do anything that other modalities can't do, also IMHO.

Remember once seeing a nighttime photography IR flood light that threw a very nice 100' beam, and IIRC it was in the proper nanometer range.

Generally, the LED's have to be in the 630 to about the 950 range to be considered effective. Really about 630 to 680 is the most common I've seen quoted.

Was wondering if anybody had a non 'therapeutic' lead on some LED panels that might fall in this range.

Also, are any of the more high powered LEDs (1+ watt) available in this nanometer range. Checked luxeon really quickly, but they didn't seem to have anything in that range. In general, this is a very 'red' LED. Might just experiment with some in this range myself, just to see what happens.

Most of the anodyne systems I've seen use what seems to be 5mm leds, in clusters of around 30 to maybe 50. Point applicable.

I'm suspicious, and would like to see what else is out there so that I can play around with them.

Thanks to any takers. :)

Forgot to add, this is generally in the infrared side of the spectrum. Forgot to add that. Sometimes called phototherapy. Thanks!

Last edited:

aileron

Newly Enlightened
First of all what do you need an anodyne machine for? I've never heard of one, and a minute of google shows only pseudoscientific 'light therapy' babble.

Anyway.. 630-680nm seems weird to my inexperienced eyes. AFAIK 630nm would be cherry red, even 680nm is still well within the normal human visual envelope.

If you're wanting IR, ebay shows 5mm LEDs available as far out as 940nm and Osram has an 850nm emitter in their Golden Dragon line.

If you don't need IR, the Red/Orange luxeon is very bright and has a peak wavelength of 617nm.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
aileron said:
First of all what do you need an anodyne machine for? I've never heard of one, and a minute of google shows only pseudoscientific 'light therapy' babble.

Anyway.. 630-680nm seems weird to my inexperienced eyes. AFAIK 630nm would be cherry red, even 680nm is still well within the normal human visual envelope.

If you're wanting IR, ebay shows 5mm LEDs available as far out as 940nm and Osram has an 850nm emitter in their Golden Dragon line.

If you don't need IR, the Red/Orange luxeon is very bright and has a peak wavelength of 617nm.

You're right: it's really 'far red' or close to that end but still visible. See, that's what I'm thinking, that a lot of it is as you say - perfect use of a word - pseudoscientific.

The use is generally as a heating entity, to increase blood flow and to promote better healing. This is in a therapy clinic. Heat packs, diathermy, ultrasound all can do similar functions. Benefits from the large light panels is greater area of coverage. Penetration is about 1-2", I'd say nominal about one inch. Diathermy can do about 6".

I think there are *some* possible benefits, but I'm also suspicious. Also, the machines are very expensive, and yet, being a burgeoning LED fan for several years, I know that the ultimate construction is not heavily expensive. Kind of a load of bull to me. I'm checking to see if there are panels in that arena, because if there is, there might actually be a way to try it out on a trial basis without having to spend big bucks. The anodyne company is offering six months of free trials, but I'm interested in also purusing a more money efficient way of testing this stuff out. I believe that trying and then deciding is the best way, because that way I can quantatively say from experience what I think.

And what you're saying is also what I was thinking: if the little 5mm tweezies are good, might not a stronger, deeper penetrating luxeon/cree/osram panel do better? Would be interesting to see.