What does lifetime warranty mean?

LA OZ

Enlightened
I have heard this term all the time but lacking in clarity. What does lifetime warranty mean? Does it means the lifetime of the product, the user, the company, or simply warranty for eternity? In the example of Surefire torches, what happened if one of the Luxeon called it a day after many hours of normal usuage. Will Surefire replace the new LED for free? What is your thought.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Surefire would replace the LED if it broke and you didn't open it up to take a look or mod it.

Lifetime warranty to me is for the life of the company who made it, if they go under who would replace / fix the product?

AlexGT

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeh if the company is still around and it was part of normal use than I guess it should be covered. I haven't looked but is there any fine print with the Surefire warranty?

amlim

Enlightened
well, for kingston rams, my understanding is that the warranty is for the duration that the RAMS are still being manufactured. if they go obsolete, the warranty goes "poof".

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA OZ said:
So in the world of rapid advancement, when Luxeon will become obsolete, lifetime warranty means less than 1 to 2 decades.
Well no if the product has a lifetime warranty then if you sent the led light back to surefire in 10 years or so they would just give you the latest model of that light. the part i dont like is that they dont warranty there discountinued models, so you dont know wich one to buy as in a couple of years it will most likley be discountinued.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what the company says it means. Some will repair or replace it for as long as you are alive.
I once pointed out to a salesman that my new camera lens was guarenteed for the life of the lens. That could mean that it's life was over when it broke.
Pelican, on the other hand will replace your light under all but three conditions "The guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack and children under five."
They do it and their ad campaigns in some EMS magazines consist of showing burned up lights that still worked and that they replaced at no cost.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Could you rephrase that. I am confuse as you claimed they simply replace the old model with a new and latest model. However, you also state they don't warranty their discontinued models.

benchmade_boy said:
Well no if the product has a lifetime warranty then if you sent the led light back to surefire in 10 years or so they would just give you the latest model of that light. the part i dont like is that they dont warranty there discountinued models, so you dont know wich one to buy as in a couple of years it will most likley be discountinued.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA OZ said:
Could you rephrase that. I am confuse as you claimed they simply replace the old model with a new and latest model. However, you also state they don't warranty their discontinued models.
ok here is what i mean, if they have somthing to replace it then they will send it to yu, but if that product is no longer made or it doesnt have somthing similar to it then they wont replace it. like for example when i tried to make a warranty cliam on my hurricane pack they said they no longer made it nor did they have somthing similar to it. but like if you have the older L5 with a lueon and it breaks and you call them for warranty most likley you will send it in they will say it is broke then send you the most current version of the L5 wich has a cree and not an luxion as they have changed it and cant give you a older product since they no longer make it.

get what i meen?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the no questions asked part. If it's very obvious I've intentionally destroyed the product then it's ridiculous to think the company should have to replace it. Lifetime warranty to me means as long as YOU, the original purchaser, own the item. Warranties above and beyond that, like Surefire or Craftsman tools, are a bonus and should be truly appreciated, not expected to be the norm.

:buddies:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a most cases the cost of the lifetime warranty is built into the product price,the flip side would be that your product is good and will last,so a lifetime warranty will cost almost nothing.

C

z96Cobra

Enlightened
To me Lifetime Warranty should be the life of the original purchaser. If the company goes "belly-up" then you are screwed, unless another company bought them out and honored all old warranties.

BTW, in some states the LAW says that a "lifetime" warranty is only 7-8 years! Some companies will honor their warranties longer, but others will advertise the "lifetime" warranty knowing that they are relieved of all resposibilities after the 7-8 year state limit. Ohio has the short "lifetime" warranty.

Roger

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember where and when I saw this, or even what product it was for, but there was a lifetime warranty on a product, and the fine print stated that the lifetime was specified as the lifetime of the product. When the product died, the lifetime was over, meaning the lifetime warranty was then invalid. What a joke!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Exactly what Big Ed stated --

Reminds me of the automotive Universal Joints

which dropped the Zerk fitting (which means it couldn't be greased).

Obviously, this was done for cost-cutting reasons.

But so many of the "Slime-Ball" salesmen/marketing
tried to turn this fact into an advantage:

They called it "Lubed for Life" ! ! !

But, of course, not for YOUR life !

Or your CAR's life !

No, only for the life of that U-Joint !
mad.gif

This was many years ago, folks.

Can you tell that it STILL bothers me ?
rant.gif