Finally got the RGB name buckle!

EricB

Enlightened
I was trying to get this from the Buy Buy Direct office last year. By the time I went to purchase it, it was pulled because of some defect. the onlyones I could find online were the Centch models on alibaba.co, but that is some wholesale trading thing, and I have no idea how how to get that stuff. (They also had rgb light strings called "LED Cluster".

So last week I decide to look around the area of Broadway below Herald Sq. I guess it is supposed to be the "Perfume/Bling Bling District" or something? Many of the stores have the buckles of various colors in the window. So far, I had only see people wear red, but they have all the other LED colors, including a lot of pink (which I had never seen before). If you're lucky, you might find red/yellow/green. This is what I was often shown when asking for "multicolor". But most had never heard of an rgb version. So out of all the stores on that strip, one slim store actually had the rgb. And where the wholesale office I had been to had it for $55, this store was giving it for &15 (25, if you're buying less than 4). So I returned and got it, impressing friends and co-workers.

IT has only 3 button controls. The first turns it on, and then selects one of six messages in the "switch" mode, selected by the second button, the "Up" button. When you select a message (they were all preprogrammed with "Welcome"), it either scrolls the message, or if you hit the up button again, you go into "Input" mode. Then you use the up and down buttons to change the letter, number or other character. (Everything is being done in red at this point). You then hit the first button to add the letter to the word, and you repeat for 512 characters for the first message, and 256 for the rest. (Space is hitting the enter button twice). You can also adjust Luminosity and Speed, using the Up button menu. Then, when you have the message running, the down button changes the color. Standard 7 color rgb: R, G, B, y, c, m, w. You apparently can't mix colors at the same time, like apparently some of the ones I saw online. Many of the ones online had USB connection, but this one doesn't (perhaps that's why it is cheaper). So it is just two lithium 2032 cells that slide into slots on both ends of the exposed back.

The problem is, this thing eats up the batteries in about a half hour. I had gotten it home, and had programmed my name and a couple of other messages, and then when I go next door to show it to some friends, then I only see a red , and the other colors were blank. Then, when I tinker with it, I could get a dim green, and when I took the batteries out and put them back in, I could get all the colors, briefly. When I have it out overnight, then it comes on at full brightness, but quickly dies.
So I bought new batteries (some stores like Radio Shack charge up to $5 each, others 3, or 2, and I found one that gave them for $1/50. The store I got the buckle from was going to give me another pair for $1. each, but I had no idea ofhow fast they would die, and how much others would charge for them!), and took it to work on the subways, where I displayed it in the window of a C train saying "TO EUCLID", in white (our trains no longer have destination readings in front, so I thought this might be an interesting idea). I put it on around 59th St. (entering midtown), and was looking to see if people noticed. By the time I got to Brooklyn (again, about a half hour), it had died down to the dim red, and then I took it down. (The blue starts to go a bit first, and then the green, so the white takes on a yellowish and pink tint, and then eventually turns to red).

So it seems this thing is only good for brief displays. Unless someone has longer lasting 2032's. (Do they have them rechargeable? I'll have to look online). The stores that display the buckles in the window have some sort of adapter they are all hooked to, that appears to be plugged into the AC. The first night I looked, I had gotten there when many of the stores were closing, and they would turn them all off at once with a switch. So something like this would be good if I was displaying it somewhere there was a plug (like on a Christmas tree). So I'll see if I can get one of those. So this one will tide me over for some time, and maybe in the future, I'll get the USB one. Maybe give this one to LED Museum or whatever (He so far only has the red one on his site [edit: I see he has the small green and blue badges now too]). If he didn't already have the Carpenter Decorating Intellishine bulbs on there, I'd probably be sending those, as they have dimmed and discolored a bit.

Speaking of Christmas, to recap this season, there were a lot more LED strings out there in people's and businesses' decorations. (Many are still up as of this post, and I run across them for the first time and am surprised). You still may have to search a bit to find a lot of them on people's homes, but one block in Valley Stream, LI had a buch of them one one side of the street, (but they were still outshined by the massive incandescent displays on a row of houses across the street). And all the LED lights in stores like Target and Lowe's were quickly emptied. So this is really catching on!

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i always wondered about that. and now you splained about everything.

yes they do have rechargables, did you lose data to change the battery?
if you selected a luminecence value that was just one down from the top , it might last 2X as long.

chances are good that it would run off of 3 X AAA Ni-Mhys, or a single Pda or IPOD sized Li-Ion. and that could keep it going for most of the day.

EricB

Enlightened
I don't know what those things you are describing are. Is Ni-Mhys some sort of adapter for AAA's? I don't know what Li-Ion is either. But I'll look, after this post.
The instructions specify the 2032's, so I hope these other sources would not be harmful to it.

(speaking of AAA's that reminds me of the rite-lite Wireless LED Puck Light I got Christmas Eve.This is the one you can stick anywhere, and I put it under a cabinet over the kitchen sink. That uses 3 AAA's and has a "bright" and "dim" mode. After one night, the Bright mode quickly dims down to completely off, but the dim mode seems to stay on. Even at full brightness with its 5 LED's, it wasn't as bright as I thought it would be (where it would replace a small flourescent lamp). I think it crossed my mind to post about that, but I forgot.
However, my wife got a booklight from Avon, and the single LED practically lights up the whole room. I call it her "blue sun", since it is apparently one of the higher color temperature whites, and that was what I heard a blue star would look like.

Anyway, changing the batteries on the buckle does not erase the data, thankfully.

EricB

Enlightened
OK; I see that the Li-Ion is simply a rechargeable Lithium battery. And I saw on batteryspace.com, that they have it in 2032 size, and the recharger (to do two at a time) as well. So I guess I'll be looking for that. I hope stores have them.

The NiMh seems to be an AA sized only battery, so I don;t think that will be of any use.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
well you figured it out.
with the 2 TINY batteries they are higher voltage, but cant overpower the item. if you put in bigger batteries hanging off it somehow, you would have to use less voltage.

ni-mhy batteries come in all kinds of sizes.

i was just mentioning ways to "MOD" it to get way longer runtime, by putting in much higher capacity batteries , if that was a problem.

even changing to a rechargable 2032 you might have to concider the voltage change.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It makes sense that the blue goes first, then green. Too bad they couldn't figure out a circuit that could cope with the higher voltages required for blue and green. I have a blue OEM (non-packaged) scrolling sign and it burns through batteries really fast!

I'd love to tinker with an RGB badge though. Care to go back there and pick one up for me? I'll gladly reimburse you for the badge, shipping, etc.

EricB

Enlightened
They said they had two when I got mine, so I guess they had one left. If I had the time and the extra money, I could pick it up. It would be nice if I could find the USB version such as this one: http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/4152352/led_buckle_usb.html, which also apparently can display more than one color at a time. That's what I really wanted. I would then have the excuse to get that one, and send the one I have now to you. But it was hard enough to find this one, (and from a heavy imported goods area), so I don't know how to get this Centch stuff, that only seems to be available on these wholesale trading sites. If you know anything more about attaining those items, please tell me.

As for the batteries, here is what I found (the charger for them, and the batteries themselves are in a clickable image below): http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2421
I just hope, again, that stores have them.
Now, Vidpro, you say these are higher in voltage than regular 2032's? These are listed as 3.6V. The Maxell individual packages I bought from a store say 3V. Does that .6V pose any sort of danger to the device? Is that "overdriving" them (not to mention the chips that drive them)?

As for the Ni-Mhy, I could only find AA size on them, and doing a Google search on it, the only result that pertained to battteries, was an earlier discussion by you on them.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it is using 2 2032s at a time, then the extra voltage could be a problem, if it was ONLY using a single one of these, then it would not be a problem, and should work totally better. if it is using 2 then you got a whole volt increase.

how much a problem it is would depend not as much on the extra .6 (x2) but how well the battery can maintain that voltage under the load it will get.
BECAUSE
when you get to the really small batteries they can only pump out so much juice at any one time, that is more important than the actual voltage (in this situation). see with the device on, and running out in less than 1 hour, the voltage on such a small battery will drop lots.

i would put it on a low liklyhood of being a problem, just something i must mention, and you saw the extra voltage, so now you know. also the full voltage of the li-ion will be 4V (about) under load, the lithium would be at a 3.2 max under load.

battery like this (one)
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=931
should be able to power it, if you can figure out how to wire them in, and charge them. there are many sizes of these things in round or flat

3 of these thing together
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=706
but that wouldnt be a huge time improvement

or 3 of these things
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=174
in a radioshack battery holder
or even smaller N cells

none of the MODs i am talking about are going to magically fit in the normal battery slot for it, you would have to go bigger to get much longer runtimes.
and if i had one of them things, i would want like 8hr runtime, each day i was wearing it. just depends on what you need want.

Last edited:

EricB

Enlightened
Yeah, it does use two batteries, but on the other hand, since it specifies 2032; it sounds safer to use those, than to try to wire these other things onto it.
I wish I could ask a manufaturer to be sure, but it doesn't even say who the manufacturer is, and that store probably won't know.

EricB

Enlightened
I had just sat down to order Powerizer's 2032 Li-ions, http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2420&strVarSel=515&strCompare= and the recharger, when I noticed they were only 40mAh. I don't know how that compares with the store bought batteries I had been using that only lasted a half hour or so, but other regular CR2032's I see online are 100 or more mAh. Looking up mAh, I see that it has to do with how long the output lasts.
So what would happen with a 40mAh rechargeable battery on a device the eats regular batteries in a half our? Would it last 15 minutes before needing recharging?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
it depends, generally a li-ion will work about as good as a lithium primary (light will be as bright) but have less capacity (wont run as long).
the rechargable small cells already don't have much capacity, and the ones your replacing have about as much as such a small battery CAN have in it.
the other thing is how slowly power Will or can come out of it.
being lithium already any rechargable of the same size would be less capacity. if it was alkaline, then the rechargable could work much better.

that is why modding it with 1 single battery with some actual capacity would provide it some realistic runtime, and rechargability. otherwise the battery costs are going to add up to its original cost quickly

Last edited:

Latest posts