first attempt at sputtering a mag reflector

magpie

Newly Enlightened
think its turned out ok.......experts any comments???

sputter.jpg

dw51

Enlightened
Better question, how does it work? I'm curious well how the fine texture works. Mine have always turned out more rough. I may have to try the fine texture if it works for you.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
How many tries? In what position should the reflector be when I spray?
Are you satisfied with the beam?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks great. I have 2 ROP-LOs that don't really require an aluminum reflector. But the stock smooth reflector is terrible. This may be the answer.
Nicely done.

magpie

Newly Enlightened
closest i could get to a white wall was magnolia!! hence the orange yellow tinge its actually a lot whiter than it looks.

torch spec is pelican 3854 lo on 5X1/2 d cells

beamshot.jpg

dw51

Enlightened
How much is the spray?
I just use clear enamel spray paint. Runs around a buck a can at most retail stores. One can will do many reflectors. Theres a thread around here somewhere with further details on this procedure. Pretty simple with just a little practice.

If you do mess up, a little lacquer thinner will wipe it right off and you can start from scratch.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Here's my $0.02...
There's too much sputtering on the reflector. It eats up too much light. The spray is too fine and covered up all of the reflective surface. It means you're spraying from too far. Move your nozzle closer to the reflector. Divide up the reflector in four quadrants. One pass per quadrant. I practiced with CD discs to get my strokes right before doing it on the reflector.
Here's my thought on homemade sputtering reflectors... even the finest sputtering job would cause lost of light output because light shines thru the acrylic and gets lost; it can't be used on hotwire bulb. Anyone who cares about losing output should stay away from the home sputtered reflectors because the lost is very significant.

ernest

magpie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input everyone.

I would say that this particular reflector does eat a lot of output.
in comparison to my SF6P this only just has the edge in brightness i suppose if i squeezed the additional cell in to overdrive the 3854 it would improve matters but the 5 X1/2 d's are such a perfect fit in the 3D.

This particular lamp is my worklight so max range its used is around 10 feet am going to see how i get on with the diffused output this week.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
vacuum3d said:
Anyone who cares about losing output should stay away from the home sputtered reflectors because the lost is very significant.

IMO the smoother beam more than makes up for the loss of light. It's more useful and will enable you to see way more (at least at short distances).
I'm talking about my experience with diffusors.
Even if it eats 30% of the light - it's still worth it.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
carbine15 said:
I use hairspray to sputter reflectors.

Dude, you're a genius! I just tried that! It's a great alternative for a diffusor. The diffusor makes the beam smoother (better for indoor use), but the hairsprayed reflector doesn't kill the throw so much (better for checking the garden/outdoors).
Very nice!
I like my 2C 3xCR123 "Mod" still better with diffusor, but for my minimag the hairspray is superior. My diffusor is rougher but you don't notice it with a 9V Xenon bulb because it's so bright. The minimag is too dim for the rough diffusor, which leads to many tiny shadows.

Another idea is frosting the lens with hairspray. But there goes the throw again...

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a can of clear laquer and tried this with a couple of left over Mag reflectors. I sprayed a little straight down at about 2 feet (my basement is cold). Let it dry and repated a few times. It's incredible! I did one lightly and one more heavily. My ROP-LOs are now perfect and I save my aluminum reflectors for lights that really need it.
I'm away fro mhome at the moment but when I get back I'll see about getting some pictures.
Thanks a lot for the tip.