Surefire U2 cree prototype.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read in another thread (shot show) that Surefire may have a U2 Cree prototype that could be pusing 200 lumens. This is a must have for my collection. I haven't seen any threads on this light so I was just wondering if anyone else was excited and would add this light to their collection also. I am somewhat dissappointed that SF is not making a L4 cree (at least not that I know of) but like the idea of a U2 cree.

Anyone else?

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I think we are more likely to see a U2 with a Seoul P4 and reflector but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

VWTim

Enlightened
trailblazer said:
I was told by surefire via Email and verbal conversation that they have no plans to put a cree in the U2 or L4.

But who was the E-mail from? Customer support? I just question why they wouldn't eventually, especially the U2 which is one of their top shelf lights. Although if they don't it sounds like time for me to Cree/Seoul a L4.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. Can a Cree match the smooth, even, super-white flood beam of the current L4? I love my P1D-CE, but it has a very different beam pattern than my L4. The P1D-CE is rated with higher lumen and lux, but I don't think it could take the place of a dedicated flood light like the L4.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
I'm in for a U2 as soon as the output is dramatically increased.
Somewhere around the 200 mark would see my wallet open without any second thoughts.

Regards
Dave

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the new U2 is a light that I am eagerly anticipating. I have not seen a brightness increase with the Cree's or Seoul's over my U2, but I would suspect that there would be a runtime increase and that is always a good thing.

The new LED coupled with what I hope is the addition of the Titan style levels switching would bring the U2 back to the very top of the heap.

It remains one of the finest lights available in my opinion. I would not even want more output if they could double the runtime.

O.K. I take it back, I would want 1 more level lets say 200 lumens for 50 minutes on a 17670 or a 18650.

That would be very nice.

-Goatee

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seoul emitter certainly can. I have 2 lights with this emitter and they are both absolutly smooth perfect beams with fine color as well.
Yaesumofo
QUOTE=Art Vandelay]I don't know. Can a Cree match the smooth, even, super-white flood beam of the current L4? I love my P1D-CE, but it has a very different beam pattern than my L4. The P1D-CE is rated with higher lumen and lux, but I don't think it could take the place of a dedicated flood light like the L4.[/QUOTE]

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not toucha light with a seoul myself either luxeon or cree. The curret u2 is pretty damn bright and hella useful already. I would choose cree over a seoul, seouls are lacking in design.

Size15's

Flashaholic
light_emitting_dude said:
L5, L1 and Titan as far as I know.
This is not completely correct. The Titan has a premium bin Seoul Semiconductor LED in it for an output from 0 to 80 lumens (the Titan's output can be increased from 0 to 100% using SureFire's new dial interface.

SureFire will be releasing updated versions of the KL1 and KL5 as well as an updated version of the L1 - these will have Cree XR-E LEDs in them with new TIR optics.

KX1 replaces the KL1 and will feature on the E1L and E2L - roughly the same outputs as currently but far longer runtime and a far more useful beam.

KX5 replaces the KL5 and will feature on the L5. Output of 120 lumens.

New L1 features a shorter body and uses the same TIR optic as the KX1. However the new outputs for the L1 are 10/65 lumens.

I hope this helps?

Al

P.S.
Note that the ratings for the Cree-based lights could change as SureFire get them ready for production.

Size15's

Flashaholic
light_emitting_dude said:
I read in another thread (shot show) that Surefire may have a U2 Cree prototype that could be pusing 200 lumens.
PK showed two proto-types at his party for CPF demonstrating the issue SureFire was having with using the Cree XR-E in a U2/KL5 sized reflector.
One proto-type was using the U2 as host. The other was using a KL5/KL3 bezel on a G2 body.
The central beam from the Cree in the U2 reflector was too tight to be a TacticalLight. Although the beam was "very nice" - this doesn't cut it for the applications operators require SureFires for.
The other proto-type demonstrated that the ideal beam shape can be better achieved using a much smaller diameter reflector - something in the order of the A2. Now this is a good thing for those wanting smaller flashlights but it means SureFire have not yet found a "drop-in" replacement for the LuxeonV for their U2/KL5/KL6/KL7 sized LED lights.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
The other proto-type demonstrated that the ideal beam shape can be better achieved using a much smaller diameter reflector - something in the order of the A2. Now this is a good thing for those wanting smaller flashlights but it means SureFire have not yet found a "drop-in" replacement for the LuxeonV for their U2/KL5/KL6/KL7 sized LED lights.

Maybe they should make the U2 smaller then, instead of trying to find a better LED for the current design :shrug:

Sigbjoern

Size15's

Flashaholic
Maybe Maybe Maybe

SureFire have stated that they are not sure what to do with the U2/KL5 sized reflector lights.

Maybe the LED they find will end up being significantly brighter than any currently on the market?
Maybe they will shrink these bezels and use a Cree or other current LED.
Maybe they won't change them at all?

Maybe Maybe Maybe

Al :D

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Size15's said:

The Seoul P4 seems to do well in reflectors both large and small. Maybe Surefire will replace the U2 with something totally different. I imagine something with a twisty tailcap that functions they way the Titan does but with a top end of 200 lumens.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't kick lumileds while their down there is speculation of a new high power high efficiency luxeon light. Also they could just raise the LED in the U2 with copper or aluminum and us ea shallower reflector. Head could remian the same for the most part.