Question about Surefire L2

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
This last month I have purchased two SF L2 lights. From two different companies.

One is serial number A167XX, and the other is serial number A227XX.

The one with the higher serial number throws a whiter and brighter light. The lower serial number light also has a yellow tint to the light besides being not as bright.

Was there a change in technology between these serial number ranges?

or... is the lower serial number model having some issues?

Thanks!

fire-stick

Enlightened
Do they both have the same body shape?

There was a change in the L2 but the body looks a little different.

The new L2 has the rounded body the old L2 has the flat body.

Also it could be part of the luxeon lottery. All luxeon lights are going to be a little different.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There has been no change other than to increase the bezel slightly to gain some mass for better heat-sinking.
What you are seeing is variation in LED to LED.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is variation. Remember that you are seeing variation in tint as well. The eye is more sensitive to some tints than others so as to making one appear less bright compared to the other.
If you don't think one of them is cutting the mustard I guess you could contact your Dealer or SureFire and see about arranging for a replacement. I guess that's what I'd do.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
There has been no change other than to increase the bezel slightly to gain some mass for better heat-sinking.
What you are seeing is variation in LED to LED.

Al

It seems like more than that. The difference is very dramatic.

Even if one is the lowest possible extreme and the other by chance is the highest possible extreme, it seem to me that there would not be that much variation. It is almost like comparing a 65 lumen light to a 100 lumen light as it appears on a dark white wall.

I also just finished an email to Surefire to see what their comments are about this.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
fire-stick said:
Do they both have the same body shape?

There was a change in the L2 but the body looks a little different.

The new L2 has the rounded body the old L2 has the flat body.

Also it could be part of the luxeon lottery. All luxeon lights are going to be a little different.

They appear identical with exception to the brightness and the serial number range.

The color difference in the light is also appears quite noticeable at the low setting.