Say you had a bunch of P60 lamps that you didn't know what to do with...

InfidelCastro

Banned
What would you use them for? I have a few of these that I would like to use on something, rather than get rid of them, but I'm not really into buying expensive primaries anymore.

I can't think of any way to run them on NIMH rechargeables, unless somebody knows of a 4 AA battery carrier light that a P60 could be rigged onto.

I do have a 4AA battery carrier in a light that's out in the garage, but I would need a surefure compatible body to put it into.

A single 3.7V rechargeable battery is just not enough voltage to run a P60 normally. If only there was a light with a boost circuit...

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Surefire has a conversion kit for the G2/6P that uses a Ni-Cad battery for the P60.

Though that doesn't answer your question properly because that's not what I would do.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
But I don't need anything... ;)

Then grasshopper, you have finally attained stasis. You have entered the realm so long sought by the ancient ones. You are at one with the universe. Be one with your lights. Feel their wants, needs, and desires and harmonize with their photonic outputs. Listen to the light and bath in the Li-on showers of the Aurora. Oh, and give me all your lights! :twothumbs

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use 2x 3V R123As so you don't have to run through primaries.

lexina

Enlightened
I like the suggestion from Flashkat and jsr - to run the lamps on 2 X 3.0v R123s. Only problem is, that would involve having to buy a new type of cells and you would NEED (aha!) a new charger as well.

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
lexina said:
1) run down the voltage of the 3.7v R123s before using them on the P60s. I am not sure what would be a safe voltage.
If you run a pair of 3.7 volt R123A cells down to the point where it is "safe" for the lamp, you have overdischarged them. The life of the cells will be severely reduced, and you are at risk of fire or explosion the next time you try to recharge them

lexina said:
2) I know I am going to get flamed for suggesting this...but you could try mixing a R123 and a primary (means you would still have to get primaries but at least it would half the expense). I would never suggest this...heresy... to a newbie (because of the risk of reverse charging etc) but for an experienced flashaholic, it may allow you to at least get some use from the P60s.
What you suggest is both foolish and dangerous. An "experienced flashaholic" should know better than to ever mix cells of differing chemistry. The li-ion cell, with its lower mAh capacity, is almost certainly guaranteed to get discharged before the primary. Then the primary will reverse charge it, and it will likely explode or burn.

Do not try either of these suggestions. :tsk:

Latest posts